Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >
  • Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

• Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 AM

That's a big disappointment to have your quilt refused after being half finished! We on this board have seenthe beautiful work Charisma does; maybe contact her and see if she can help you or give suggestions. A large quilt like that would be a hassle w/regular machine. Another suggestion would be to google amish quilters in PA, contact them and get samples of their work. They do fabulous quilting also and not all hand as there are hand/treadle machines available. Don't know if if any of these suggestions have already been mentioned as didn't read all the pages.

Just my quarters worth (inflation you know).
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Thank You very very much. I think I am going to try to do it myself. I want it to look nice, but with my moving schedule I dont have time to send it out. My Son and Daughterinlaw will understand and forgive me for my newness(I Hope).

Thank You again, that was very thoughtful of you .
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lindach
    Apparently it was to big for her long arm. She measured it at 118x118 then when she got it on her machine it was 124x124 (what I had told her it was)And I think she charged the extra amount for going aroun the squares the flying geese were in. the rest of the quilt has leaves and random stitches. I guess I will practice all this week and try to get er done.

Thanks for all your concern and remarks.

linda
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 AM

I'm crying for you. This is awful. I don't know how she can continue to quilt for people.
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM

I think you need to report that to the Better Business Bureau. Also, most states have a Consumer Protection or some such thing where you can file a complaint. That was definitely an overcharge in big proportions. You sound like you might be a little timid. Do you have someone who could help you? We're all in your corner and don't like to see soneone take advantage of you.
    Also, you probably aren't the first person she has overcharged, so if you report it, at least it's on record.
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Gobs of good luck being sent your way!
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM

I know it is very hard to confront someone, however, when done gently and in clear and specific language, it can work out well for both parties. I am really sorry that this LA quilter did not do right by you. You can learn to stand and this would be good practice. Write out what you want to say, keep it for a day or two, read it over and edit what you want. Make sure to state exactlty what you want her to do--finish the quilt, refund your money, whatever. Call the LAer and read what you have written. You should be prepared to notify the Better Business Bureau in her/his locality. You cannot let people just run over you like that. I suspect that you feel overwhelmed by the move etc. However, some of us have to really work on standing up for ourselves. It is not easily learned, ask me how I know...

The quilters on this board are awesome. What a treasure you ladies are to offer to finish this quilt at no charge. God bless all of you.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by 02ba quilter
    I think you need to report that to the Better Business Bureau. Also, most states have a Consumer Protection...
    Heck, you need to report her to the dreaded Quilt Police!
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM

If your insisting on trying to finish it yourself, I would try making the leaves out of freezer paper and pressing them on, then quilt around them. They can be reused several times. As for the flying geese, try a stitch in the ditch or a soft curve pattern in the largest part of them. Ya, cancel that check and pay her 50% of the quote. That is dumb of her to ask for the full price and an extra $50. The audacity of some people!!! Good luck! Jan
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Some local quilt stores have quilting machines that they'll rent out time on so you can do your own quilts. Mine does, though I'd have to pay for a lesson or two before doing the actual quilting. If that's something you'd be interested in I'd call around and find out if any near you have that service and if they can accomodate a quilt that size. The lady that gave you that raw deal should be ashamed of herself!