Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! >

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Saw a segment on one of the quilt shows on PBS where folks send in quilts that they're unhappy with and two experts give suggestions on what can be done with it. I was impressed with the ideas, such as:
-Putting borders around the squares or sets of squares
-Changing the border (add, remove, change sizes, use more than one to pull the focal color out)
-Adding applique over the top to pull out the focal fabric
-Covering an applique that was in the center of a quilt that detracted from the diagonal design flow (art quilt)

It surprised me what a difference these ideas made. You might consider posting a picture and see what ideas the board members can give you.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten so disgusted with a quilt that I have tossed them before finishing. I don't even remember them now but I do know I've thrown more then several away. I know if I kept them I would feel frustrated every time I saw one in a forgotten bag hid in on shelf. It's very therapeutic to just stuff it in a bag and toss in the dumpster. If you feel guilty about throwing it away, remember it's yours you can do what you want with it and not one soul will suffer if you tear it to shreds.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM

I don't do mystery quilts anymore either. What really upsets me is when the person leading the group, has the most beautiful quilt, because she knew which fabrics go where.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Despite it being a mystery quilt, the instructor could and probably should have informed you that your favorite fabric would not be the dominant color/fabric design. It's too bad because, as someone once said, it left a bad taste in my mouth, and so did that quilt. No guilt, if you don't like it you don't like it. I have made some "Ugly" quilts for David's House, my guild's number one charity, it's like a Ronald McDonald house where family stays while children are in the hospital right next door. I had been given some ugly fabric, but decided to make a quilt anyway. I finally said enough, it was only a small baby quilt, but I figured someone might like it. A month or so later, a picture appears with a baby holding the blanket, so someone loved it. Finish it or not, it's your quilt to do with as you please. Keep on quilting.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing those links. Until I read your comments again, I didnt' realize the last two blocks were the same pattern, what a difference different fabric makes.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I've got one in the back of my closet....not brave enough to toss yet!!!
Please donate it to a group called Quilts for Valour - Someone I"m sure will finish it and it will be loved.

Please don't throw it.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Because of everyones nice suggestions, look what I posted too.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-148255-1.htm

Thanks for being so thoughtful!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM

I was disappointed in one quilt I made this year. The beautiful flower print was only 4.5 inches and got lost in the patterning. If not lost, then lost emphasis. So I had some fabric left and bought some more and made another smaller quilt using a very large piece of the flower print in the center. It satisfied my desire to show it off.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Been there, done that!!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by lovingmama
Originally Posted by Peckish
I haven't ever thrown any away, but I have been disappointed a time or two when it didn't turn out like the picture in my head. I gave the tops to a nurse friend who quilts them, then she gave them to terminal patients in the hospital. After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. The quilts may not be what I wanted, but they gave others comfort, and that makes me feel much better.
That is something I should have done, but like I said, my behavior was so not me.
I think it is GREAT that you threw it away! Yes, it could have been used elsewhere, but the thought of it being out there would drive you nuts!