Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members have fibromyalgia? >

How many members have fibromyalgia?

How many members have fibromyalgia?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
My chiropractor has actually done more for me that any medical doctor.
This is so true. My regular doc just told me to "relax" (yea right!)

My chiro is new (i wound up there b/c of a free massage) and he has done INCREDIBLE things.

The stress is what kills me. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my job is stressful (I'm a teacher) - and then when I have a 'bad day' - no one understands. God Bless Him - but even my boyfriend has been frustrated with my "pain" and "weird desire for sleep"

I never put much stock in the weather until I moved home from FL -- I noticed that I didn't hurt in FL (though the tiredness was there) but now that I'm home in WV the cold weather is brutal. I love snow days, but only if I can be a hermit those days.

=) thanks for the encouragement - it really does help to know I'm not alone!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM

I am chemical sensetive. my sister has fibro also and she cannot hardly tolerate any smells including the smell of food I have thought I have smelled something like a house fire maybe it is all connected to fibro My aunt who has fibro experiences the metelic taste and all of us have a constant dry mouth
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM

sorry to say, all of these things are FM related. Metallic taste, chemical sensitivity, weird smells, and also ear problems, like earaches, sore throat, swollen glands in the neck. Ya think yer gettin' a cold or flu, but no temperature or anything else that would say cold or flu. Dry mouth a biggie. Thirsty all the time.
YTQ
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM

I have Neuropathy and fibromyalgia. When my Neurologist put me on Neurontin for the Neuropathy almost all my fibromyalgia
disappeared too, since the Neuropathy is from the waist down if I start aching all over I take another Neurontin (600 mg at a time), up to 3 a day. It is expensive but gabapentin is the generic if it will work for you. I did not work for me.
I spent many many miserable years in pain.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM

One more reporting in with having fibro for many years ... I just hate the word salad that has me asking the kids to put the milk in the oven ...

Stress definitely increase my chances of having a flare-up. Often spend a day every weekend overwhelmed and unable to drag myself out of pj's.

Sunshine and walking do help. Quilting <working out designs, sorting stash, fabric fondling lead to de-stressing, right?> have been excellent therapy! Yup, am gonna go with that :)
Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM

you are right. Do something you love and it helps the pain and helps the depression. Who could not love quilting!? It's relaxing and helps you to forget all the rotten stuff. Sunshine is a BIG help.People who don't get enough sunshine need to take vit D3. My dr had me on 50,000 units for 12 weeks. Now I take 2500 a day, and it helps the mood. I've also found that music that I like ( I have a pretty eclectic taste when it comes to music) helps me, too. I can rock n roll or just be mellow or listen to Opera. What ever suits me at the time.
Walking is the very best exercise you can get. Just be careful not to overdo it, Start small and work up to 15 minutes out, and 17 minutes back. I've found it takes me longer to get back home, cause i'm gettin' tired.
Good luck, all of you. My heart goes out to you and your families.
Diana YTQ
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM

I was finally diagnoised three years ago, after being told I had everthing and nothing for more than 20 years.

The itching is not confined to one spot. But when it itches it is impossible to stop.

Having a flare up this week caused by having cataract surgery. So guess the next three weeks will be bad before they get my other eye done. I am in pain all the time. They have me on cymbalta, effexor cr, and ms contin and i do fell better than I have in years.

Nothing helps the sleep problem. Exausted all the time but still cannot sleep most nights. The memory is the worst. I can forget the simplist of things yet I know that I know them. About an hour later I remember.

Shoes make my feet hurt, socks are a nono. Wear cotten clothes so that if I sweat it doesn't stay on body and make me itch.

Allergic to almost all meds (especially lyrica). Have joined curves to try to get some exercise. Bought a new bike and thqt didn't work at all. to tired to hold it up, legs hurt worst then ever.

People do not understand because we look normal. I just do what needs to be done as I am able to. Limit things to a 15 min period and usually make it doe 10 min. But I am breathing and I Thank God for that everyday all day.

Linda D MI
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM

I was in a car accident in '89 and a Dr. said it triggered my Fibro. Affected all my upper body. Said it cld just disappear or last forever. Mine eased up after 10 yrs and only shows up occasionally. Cold is bad for it.
Just thank God most Drs' recognize it now. I was told it was all in my mind to start with.
Good luck to you all, hang tough...
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM

Lord I think am glad that I found this topic. For 8-10 years my neck, shoulders & arms just burn like fire at times. They stay sore all of the time as if I had worked out. I also suffer from migraines and pain in my legs & hips at night. Am on meds for the migrianes and take flexeril 2X a day & Clonazapam at bedtime. In the middle of my back I have a certain spot that has itched for a couple of yrs yet there is no spot or anything there. My hands arms & wrists, knees & ankles also throb like crazy and I just hurt like the dickens when we are in for a weather change. I have 0 energy and am on an antidepressant. Many days I hurt all over & would love to just stay in bed except that it hurts to lie there. Is this what Fibro. feels like? I am going for a Drs. appt. in March and will def. talk to her about all of this but before now, I have felt like she would think I was just nuts. And some days my memory is just flat gone. Other days it is there in full force. This is a scary feeling people! Very scary! Until now, I have not said a word to anyone about my feelings for fear of what they might think.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM

When I first started having the memory loss thing, I actually ask my Dr. if I had early onset Alzheimers! He laughed so hard and said no. What you have is growing kids and the stress brought on fibromialga!