Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 PM

I have been sewing since I was eight. When I was a teenager my aunt moved back home and made me my first quilt. I Still have that quilt and talked her into teaching me. I made one quilt and them marriage, children came along a few years ago I finally found the time to return to quilting. Still do some clothes sewing but most of the time busy on quilting.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pickle
I was shopping with a friend for fabric to make my DH and I a new outfit for square dancing, I used to make my skirt and his shirt to match. It is fun for sq. dancing. Well any way my friend said to me if you bought one more choice of fabric you could make a quilt. I said how would I do that and my friend said" Oh.I will teach you" So there you have it. That was 20 yrs ago.I am still quilting.
Knowing I would one day get back into quilting, I saved all the scraps of fabric from the zillion matching square dance outfits I made. I started, as a child with hand piecing and treadle machine work with my grandmother. She got all the scraps from the clothes my mom made for the family. I cut the pieces for the Sun Bonnet Sue quilts. When time came for me to sew on my own, it had to be quickie things. Home decor, curtains and coverlets. So they were hand tied numbers.

While I was dancing, the outfits and dance consumed leisure time not spent camping, gardening, cooking, and such. Within the last several years, I've gotten more interested in submissions for the county fair. All my hobbies seem to end up there. I noticed that I lacked a quilt for display, and decided that this was going to be the "Year of the Quilt." So, I keep making quilts and giving them away stashing fabric, rearranging my entire house to accommodate supplies, cutting tables, extra machines (18), (I'm teaching my 4-H students how to quilt,) and what!? I have nothing to enter into the fair.

But back to the Square Dance clothes . . . no longer fit enough to dance, and the clothes no longer fit. I believe they will serve me better as quilts than a donation to a thrift store. It'll be hard to take the scissors to the outfits, but once I do, it'll make for some great memories.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 PM

the reason i started was because years ago i saw a beautiful quilt and wanted to buy one but the price of it was outrageous so kept looking around for one , but could never afford one , one day i told my friend well i will just make one !!!!!! and have been quilting ever since !! now i know why they were so exspensive
Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 PM

The reason I started quilting is oddly enough...my boyfriend. After I started dating him, I just got into "girly stuff" i guess you could say. I started to want to learn knitting and quilting. Needless to say...the quilting has gone better than the knitting or croteching. *spelling is off i know*
My boyfriend likes the fact that I can quilt. It means I'm handy with a needle and can repair his clothes. ;)
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Well, I won't brag that what I do is quilting. I am playing with quilt pieces. Love it. I can't hand quilt and I am so clumbsy with it at the machine that I just tie them. So far, I've made one twin size, six lap quilts and got tons of blocks around and two tons of pieces ;) and a three ton stash of fabric ( we use to call it piece goods, yard good and material) My grandmother use to untie her winter blankets and take out clothes for the younger children. They had been outgrown and stored this way. So it seemed alright that we didn't have homes with lots of closets, just stacks of blankets. Then I heard my Aunt call them quilts. I got nosey.......a thousand questions later, I learned what a quilt was..it's a permanently sewn blanket.
I'm enchanted by the creation and artistic efforts of you all. You are amazing. and when I grow up I'm going to make quilts like y'all do. :0
Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM

"The reason started quilting" After my Mother passed away, I got into her trunk where I found a bunch of fabric and 20 Holly Hobbie blocks.. I was facinated! They are appliqued on old Dish towels (probably flour sacks) some have stains on them.. I decided to put them together and put a frame on them.. then I bought the blanket binding and put that on.. Dumb me, but my daugher fell in love with it just the way it is.. so I am saving it for her.. she will be 39 in Oct. but still has little ones at home and pets also.. I am very afraid to wash it..so I guess I will have to Croak (hee hee!) before she gets it... here are some pictues

Mother's Holly Hobbies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82416.jpe   attachment-82418.jpe  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM

I started sewing at age 10 in 4-H.

When my oldest grandchild was graduating from High School, I wanted to do something special for him.

I saw a flyer for a class at JoAnn's and decided to try it.

I was hooked and fell in love with quilting.

I have just finished my 7th quilt for a graduating grandchild..

I quilt weekly with a great group of qulters that includes my instructor from JoAnn's.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 PM

My aunt Pearl (passed away last Nov.) taught my Mother and I how to crazy quilt around 4 years ago. After making over 50 squares, I decided it was time to put them together for my 3 kids. My cousin showed me how, and I am ready to start the 3rd quilt. I am hooked. It's my heaven on earth. I've crazied my old t-towels, 3 generations of neckties, crocheted dishrags, security blankets, plus everything else inbetween into my quilts.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM

I have PBS to thank for my addiction to quilting. Georgia Bonesteel had a quilt as you go show that piqued my interest. I figured that if she could do it, I could do it. I have sewn since I was a teen making skating costumes and such. The first quilt was made with cheater cloth and hand quilted. I'm still learning with each quilt I attempt but the passion lives on.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 PM

I am a high school Home Ec teacher. I began teaching the sewing class a few years ago. The teacher before me taught the students how to make quilts so I decided to learn how. I took a class and have been making quilts ever since. So far I have only completed three. I am working on a fourth, but had trouble with a few of the blocks. I still have so much to learn. 8-)