Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need to Vent!!!!!! >

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

this feature actually has been around for a while now; before win 7. unfortunetly it didn't help me; mine still wouldn't run so I got the old XP machine out.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Two of my computers crashed, but the techie I took them to restored them to pre-crash state. All my programs, designs and files were still there. Take it in, it will be worth it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM

I have my designs on an old XP and am anxious about the day I can no longer write designs to my Viking Rose card. A new machine is just too expensive for a little retirement hobby.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Linda:

Go to Embird.com and look at their software. Price is cheap and it does just about everything the more expensive programs do.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM

linda, that is probably going to happen to me, too. I havent upgraded the software, same reason, having to buy it all over again, no discount for having an earlier version. really discusts me. but so far, I am still able to use what I have. good luck.

also, I have the sewing machine with the floppy card, not the usb stick. when that goes I will be up the creek again. I think if I ever do it again I will get a sand alone embroidery machine.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM

I had some old programs that didn't work with my new operating system so I bought a used Dell laptop that another quilter had been using for her embroidery software. I only paid $150 for it, all my older programs work on it and my daughter also uses it for her stuff. I'm very happy with it. Maybe you can find something similar that will fit your needs?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I was lucky that I had an older Windows XP laptop that I could use for my embroidery machine software. My software is Magic Box and the manufacturer said it won't work with Windows 7 (my new computer) because Windows 7 is 32 bit and the old software I have is 16 bit. Now I have no idea what all that means! I just think the software should have an update available, we paid lots of hard earned money for it.
Ouch! My computer just crashed and it was Windows XP. My new one is Windows 7. I have not tried to download the program for my Magic Box yet and now I feel forwarned. It also means that the ones on the market may not work either. I got it only 2 years ago. Going to check the specks on the program. Thanks for the heads-up. --- I knew it was going to fail soon because it was checked and I did back-up all my files on an external hard drive.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM

In all fairness this is called progress. I hear it all the time. I sell these machines and the software. But if you have ever gone in to a cell phone company regarding a problem with your phone the answer is always buy another one or you are due for an upgrade and then they charge you for it. The cell phone companies do it to you every 6-12 months and noone complains.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
OK, I know there is no solution to this, but I just need to vent. When I purchased my embroidery machine ( in fairness, I will tell the brand) I also "bit the bullet" and purchased the software that would allow me to design my own embroidery. I didn't feel I could afford the upgrades (two since I purchased) so I continued using the old software which was fine for my purposes. Last month, my computer crashed and I had to replace it. My embroidery software would not work on my new computer, so I just called the company to see what the problem was. I was informed that the company was no longer supporting the old version and it would not work on my new computer operating system. When I asked about an upgrade, they said there was none, I would just have to purchase the new version, no cut in cost what so ever. The new version is WAY too expensive for me now. I feel like I am being punished because my computer crashed!!!! There, I feel better after venting. I guess. I still don't have any software for my embroidery machine. Bummer. Thanks for listening! :-(
Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

I want to thank everyone for all their sympathy and helpful suggestions! I have an old XP computer from my school that I need to turn in this summer because we are getting "new" ones. I am going to "test drive" the program on it and if it works, I will beg to buy the computer from the school as long as the price is right.
I have been struggling with keeping the brand secret from some weird sense of what is right, I know software gets outdated but I SHOULD be able to use old software that I paid a bundle for by just purchasing a REASONABLY priced upgrade. So, since I feel far more loyalty to you quilters, and would hate to see you get stuck spending more money in this economy (I can't as I am retiring in Dec.) I will let you know that the company is Husqvarna Viking.
When I bought my Scandinavia 400, the dealer (now out of business) told me it was a new machine. What I didn't know is that it was new in the box, but the box had been setting around for quite a while. I purchased in 2006 and later found out that it was made in 1990. I thought I was buying the latest and greatest that I could afford, but before long they were no longer manufacturing the reader/writer card I needed to download my embroidery and put into my machine. The company was no help then, either. Just a sorry, maybe you can find a dealer somewhere that still has a card. I am not happy with Husqvarna at all. I would never buy another machine from them.
One of the ladies in my quilt guild purchased a very expensive machine from them last year. Her machine wouldn't sew right from the first try. She kept sending it back for repair and finally called Husqvarna and was given no help at all, just told it was still under warrenty so send it in for repair. That machine just sits in a corner now and she bought a Bernina and loves it.
Again, thanks for all your help. There just may be a way for me to beat this company and not spend any more money with them!
I have an update on my problem. I called the LQS and the new program is on sale for $359. Too rich for my blood when I am getting ready to retire. I mentioned earlier that I had an old computer from my school that I hadn't turned in to the Tech Dept. yet. I loaded the program on it and it worked perfectly. I contacted the Tech Dept. and asked if I could purchase the computer because I knew it was just going to be sent to the recycle program. And.... THEY GAVE ME THE COMPUTER!!!! Problem solved, thanks for all the help!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM

OK, I know there is no solution to this, ... portion snipped... My embroidery software would not work on my new computer, so I just called the company to see what the problem was. I was informed that the company was no longer supporting the old version and it would not work on my new computer operating system. When I asked about an upgrade, they said there was none, I would just have to purchase the new version, no cut in cost what so ever. The new version is WAY too expensive for me now. I feel like I am being punished because my computer crashed!!!! There, I feel better after venting. I guess. I still don't have any software for my embroidery machine. Bummer. Thanks for listening! :-(
As some have mentioned, you could try running in XP compatibility mode, but that won't help if Windows 7 won't even let you install the program. An alternative is to download and install Windows XP mode along with Virtual PC. You can find both free products at the following web page ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/download.asp

This runs XP in a virtual machine, so it will run slower than in native mode. However, if you have a new, fast computer, it might run as fast as on an old, slow native XP machine.

Of course, there is no guarantee that this will work, as there might be hardware driver issues, but I think it would be worth a try.