Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
How about a 2-cent psychological point of view?

Maybe at one time your life was out of control and you went and bought all this stuff because it was the one tangible thing you could control. Unfinished, probably because you didn't want the commitment; it was a way of being so pulled into the other life stuff not finishing these beauties was another means of control.

Now you want to cleanse. All that other life stuff is either not happening or is at a manageable stage. Now you need to see which of those beauties - including fabric, books, gadgets, batting - that you love and keep those. Donate the rest. Don't burden yourself by wondering how to sell them. Donate them to a nursing home's arts and crafts room.

A few years ago I was where you are but at a smaller scale with different items. Craft supplies, clays, beads, fabric, puzzles, supplies, you get it. I did what I said and today have everything under control. And it feels wonderful!

You have to figure out why it got so overwhelming before you can understand how to cut back and rebuild a stash you can live with.
WOW!! That sure sums up my experience!! You must be a psychologist!!! :thumbup:
Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Wow Mary, unbelievable how many quilts you've created, as well as other sewing items. How long have you been a quilter? I've been quilting for almost twenty years and have completed only a fraction of what you've done. But do you really need 8 irons?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM

Here is what worked for me: have husband get new job 3 hours away. Realize you have to 1: move and 2: sell house. Drink margaritas as the realization of putting your house on the market sinks in. Clean out your closet (who needs all these clothes anyway?). Clean the kitchen (where did all these mismatched plastic containers come from?). Clean and declutter the whole house while basking in avoidance of the FABRIC. Cry through the fabric intervention. Have a scrap give-away on your blog, at work and in your guild. Then, swear to finish all WIPS, UFOS, and PIGS before purchasing another thing. (This is made easier by the fact it will take your house a while to sell in this market.) Sew every evening, since you and hubby are living apart during the week and what else do you have to do anyway? Finish quilt after quilt after quilt as the time creeps along. Soon you will find 2 years have passed, your stash has shrunk and you have finished projects. THEN, you get an offer and you have to MOVE!!!! So in the packing stage, you realize you really don't like this fabric anymore and give selected pieces to several quilting friends. THEN, you find a new place, move in, get settled. And realize how very tiny your stash is, and how very disciplined you have become. Yep, just lived through it. ^_^! And my fabric habits have changed! Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
Hi Quilters,

There is a huge bookshelf full of totes, small bags, checkbook covers and zipper pouches.
Are these items finished? If so, you may want to think about giving them as gifts....birthdays, thank-you, hostess, "just because". We all enjoy handmade gifts, especially if they're unexpected.

My fabric stash does not sound anything as expansive as yours, but a dear quilting friend told me I am not allowed to purchase any more fabric until I use what I have. I'm happy to say my last three quilting projects (wall hangings, table toppers) have been made completely with what I already have. It took a bit of organizing and creativity, but I did it! I will be giving two of the table toppers as gifts. Get 'em made; get 'em out!!

By the way, when I saw your name (ArizonaQuilts1), I thougtht you were connected with the new quilt store of the same name in the west side of Phoenix!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Hi, Mary!
If I did not live across the world ... run home to help bring order to see what could end up, chat a lot and ... play with your fabrics!
I dream of someday stepping quilt shop! But I also fear that moment!
I buy everything I see!
I understand!
Thanks for sharing!
I hope you feel better!
A hug!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
we can be roommates at rehab!
Hope that's a dorm room....
Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Hang in there.Its not going to be easy.But you can do it.I haven't bought any new fabric in 78 days.And its getting easier.STEP 1- Do not shop alone -take a non-quilting friend along with instructions to keep you out of fabric stores etc -Step 2- Leave Charge Cards at home- Step 3-Drive a new route[one that does not lead to a FS] These '3' steps are easy to remember. I have a little Ditty I sing in my head as a re-inforcement tool--I have it and I Don't need it. OR My Stores better than their store..As a reward for a day w/o new fab and accessories treat your self to a nice bubble bath to help ease the tension from Not Buying :-) :-) I have faith in you
Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Someone mentioned that there are always new quilters that can't afford fabric, that's me! I always a little jealous when I hear about people's stashes and that I have only a rubbermaid container of fabric that I don't really like and a bunch of scraps. I can do things with the scraps, but never have enough to use for backing and am literally out of batting.

If you'd like to foist some of it off on me and a quilt to be binded that I'd send back, let me know, I'd be happy to clear out a little bit of it for you!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Hi Mary, Are you a member of a chapter in your area? I live in Payson and am willing to help or just "talk" about this. My chapter is supportive in so many areas. Send my an email if I can [email protected]
Smiles,
Your fellow-quilter in AZ,
Brenda
Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Our Guild holds a "Garage Sale" once a year at our July meeting.... This year,several tables were set up around the room and members brought their goods to sell... books, patterns, fabrics, ufo's, quilting frames. You name it!!!
It was so good to see people happy about getting rid of stuff, and funny watching people acquiring new stash!!!

PS... I did not buy a thing!!! lol