Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Speaking for myself, if I was buying fabric and was unsure of how much to get, I would really appreciate it if a kindly bystander helped me out. Also, the store couldn't complain, since they'd end up selling more fabric.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Unless the girl seemed really negative, I think I would have said something. I just hate to think of her getting home and then discovering that she didn't have enough fabric. Most people are really grateful for that sort of intervention. I've done it before when I heard someone miscalculating or just doing what this young woman did and not thinking about things like hems and headers.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Unless the girl seemed really negative, I think I would have said something. I just hate to think of her getting home and then discovering that she didn't have enough fabric. Most people are really grateful for that sort of intervention. I've done it before when I heard someone miscalculating or just doing what this young woman did and not thinking about things like hems and headers.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

If I had overheard the conversation between the clerk and the customer I may have asked if they were figuring in enough fabric for the heading and hem....I would want to have this same courtesy given to me had something of that nature had happened.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Sad that they don't hire people for that kind of job that know nothing about sewing. I wouldn't have said anything either.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I probably would have said something - and depending on the response - either continued or shrugged my shoulders and told myself "whatever!"
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM

I would have said something. Through the kindness of others waiting in line at the cutting counter I've learned things I missed and have also helped a new sewer find the things she needed to do a project. For the most part I find that people who work with fabric are pretty nice folks which is also what I find on this board.

I really don't understand why a person who has never sewn a stitch is employed at a fabric store. I asked the other day where I could find the charm packs and I could have been speaking a foreign language, the clerk had no idea what I was talking about. She referred me to the beading section. That isn't fair to the customer and it sure makes it hard for the employee.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I probably would have said something - and depending on the response - either continued or shrugged my shoulders and told myself "whatever!"
I would very much like to know where you found that adorable icon you have of the kitty with the mouse running around it.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM

I once worked behind the counter and did years of advising new sewers in the need for allowances along with proper training of clerks that weren't familiar with the fabric area of JoAnn's. Never did find anyone that didn't appreciate it. I for one would have found the right words to "help" them out on both sides of the counter. So many new clerks are shown how to cut but not how to read a pattern or advise the customer. What a shame ut now you know step up and see how it's received. You'll know right away if they just want to cover the space or learn to create.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 AM

I think I know the person who bought the fabric! I do some sewing on the side and a lady at work brought me fabric to do a "doorway curtain" but was a little short. I was able to fudge it by using some of the width and adding it as a topper.