Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batiks-Love or Hate Them >
  • Batiks-Love or Hate Them

• Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM

I love batiks, love the interesting dimension they give to the finished product, oh and all the lovely colors!!
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM

I really like batiks, but I have a problem mixing them with prints in the same quilt. I prefer them by themselves. I don't like the way the texture doesn't seem to mesh with "regular" fabrics in the same quilt.
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Love them, love them, love them. Said it three times because once is not sufficient to post...what a crazy rule.
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
    Power Poster

I just finished piecing my first batik fabric top and love working with the material. I just posted a pic of it. Title is batik quilt. It is in the pictures section. I have wanted to work with them for a long time and now that I have, I love them even more. The colors are gorgeous and fabric is very stable. This is my best pieced quilt, lots of seams that accually match in Trip around the world! I love them.
    peace
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by vondae
    I never dreamed when I wrote this thread that it would get such a response. But, glad it did. Nice to hear each persons views on this subject. I must add, that I have seen many of your quilts made of batiks on this board and they are beautiful. I just can't seem to warm up to them. Who knows maybe someday they to will grow on me. I do love the 30's reproduction prints and some of the large prints. As many have said "TO EACH HIS OWN". I hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings by writing this. That was not my intent.
    if we ALL loved the same fabric where would designer's be, or shops, or salesmen..hehhe
    Variety is the SPICE of life....Everyone of us has our faves...as it should be!
    Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM

When it's just a piece of fabric by itself, I don't like them. But when it's all the different colors in a quilt I like it.
    Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM

I have used batiks and loved them - but right now they are not appealing to me either - don't know why - can't say I won't ever use them again just not now.
    Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM

I LOVE Batiks and hardly sew anything but batiks!
    Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by vondae
    I know most of you are going to think I'm looney, but, I just do not like the batiks. I don't know why, they just are not my thing. Is there anyone else out there who shares my dislike of them or am I the only one? I read and see, how many of you use and rave about the batiks and I just can't get worked up about them. I have spent quite a lot of time in the fabric stores looking and touching them, hoping it was something I could overcome. Hope!!! SO,I was just wondering if I am in this boat alone or if others are sinking with me? Ha Ha.
    Batiks aren't for me either. I don't get it, why they are so popular. But I love most all other fabric.
    Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM

You are NOT alone! I don't like batiks - at least most of the time, I don't. I think it's because it irritates my double vision to look at them. And I am 'color challenged' so I don't see what those who love batiks see.

I did make one quilt top out of batiks for my grand nephew, though, and I love it. Am getting ready to quilt it in the next month or so. I made it from a set of jelly roll strips so I knew everything worked together. At least I think they work together. LQS wouldn't sell something that doesn't work well together, right?

Not too worry, though, there are plenty of other fabrics out there for us!