Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks-Love or Hate Them >

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM

I love your line ... "hoping it was something I could over come". I do not think it is anything to concern yourself with. I used to think I wanted to do a bargello, but now I admit that I just do not like them. That is the next project our group is doing, I am am passing. Being honest with myself, I'll still be trying to finish the one we are working on now. If we all liked the same things, we would have no varieties to choose from and nothing new under the sun.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 AM

I don't dislike Batiks there's a few projects in mind they are perfect for but I will say They are not forgiving fabric to piece. They have no stretch to them so you have to be perfect which is why I dislike them sometimes. My oldest daughter loves them and I'm making a quilt for her 18th birthday out of them. I'm a little surprised I figured you all would say they were hard to sew with not look at lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Well I just had to ditto some other comments.
I love the weight of batiks and how they feel when you hand quilt.
There ARE right and wrong sides to some (I found out as I am stitching some---too late).
With calicos and other prints you can sometimes get weird combos: like a 1970s print with a Civil War repros: the colors don't work or the designs are not compatible.
Batiks have something in common and so mixing and matching is more straightforward.
I love the blends of colors that don't fight with each other the way some differing patterns can.
I also love the randomness of batiks.
I was told that you do not have to wash first because the batik process is with hot water and wax (?) and it is already pre-shrunk. I have also been told that the dyes are colorfast because of that same process...

I like lots of fabrics, though, and I don't have one favorite as long as it's all cotton.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm on the "don't particularly care for" side of the equation. I do use batiks to make dinner napkins because there is no "wrong" side, but I just can't get into them otherwise. I have tried to catch batik fever, but it hasn't taken with me.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Not to worry - we can't all love the same things. I love batiks and cannot stand Amy Butler fabrics or lots of the modern designs.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM

I'd be thrilled to pay postage and have those asian prints. My son wants some asian looking quilt and I do not have a selection and hate to buy them just for his quilt. All those scraps - what to do. I do adore batiks and neutrals big time though. Not much I don't like.
Judi

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Thank God, I'm not the only one who dislikes batiks. I bought some Tonga's a few years ago and have a kit with batiks, plus fq, but I can't bring myself to touch them. There's just something about them I don't like. I should just give it all away because ill never use any of it. Also, I have a box full of fq Asian print that I don't like either. I have probably 40 fq and will never use them. Should give those away also.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM

They are not my favorite either.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Maybe I shouldn't have agreed and said I dislike Batiks. I should give them a try. I never try anything new. I need to broaden my quilting experience. I said I don't like Asian prints either and that I have a box of Asian FQs, but I just found a pattern with only Asian prints and I love the look. I think I need to be more open-minded. I've also thought I don't like paper piecing. I took one class and left during the break feining a migraine because I was so confused. I need to retake the whole course and give it a try. I love the outcome. I think my quilting is becoming boring because I don't try new things like so many of you are eager to do. So, I'm going to try batiks, Asian prints and paper piecing.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

It took me a long time before I began to use batik fabrics. I now have a love for them. It took time and working with some of them to get here. Try just a few and see what turns up. Looking a a whole piece is not going to help you learn the beauty of the fabric type.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM

I am in love with Batiks. Have about 150 yds.