Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks-Love or Hate Them >

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]312066[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312072[/ATTACH]

I think batiks are like chocolate - you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, I love both: rich, and thick. Dark chocolate and colorful batiks. Here is what I'm working on now using a unique batik designed by owner of a quilt shop we happened on travelling through Kalispell MT last summer. Design is indigenous Montana plants. Vermont also has several batiks designed for state shop hop, using state tree - maple leaves, bird, thrush, and flower, clover. Next month the VT Shop Hop fabric will be dragonflies in several colorways. I love the unique stuff, so I can't wait to get some! Does anyone know of similar batiks where you live?
Attached Thumbnails flutter.jpg   flutter.jpg   flutter.jpg   flutter.jpg   flutter.jpg  

flutter.jpg   flutter-closeup.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Banned

sorry, not me...THOUGH I have to say, I only care for the Watercolor batiks..I rarely like any prints..
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Thank God, I'm not the only one who dislikes batiks. I bought some Tonga's a few years ago and have a kit with batiks, plus fq, but I can't bring myself to touch them. There's just something about them I don't like. I should just give it all away because ill never use any of it. Also, I have a box full of fq Asian print that I don't like either. I have probably 40 fq and will never use them. Should give those away also.
I will send you my address...I collect the Asian prints as well!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gailinva View Post
Me too!!! But I have friends that would crawl over crushed glass to get to batiks. Me - give me civil war or 30's any day!!!

I LOVE all 3 of these groups....what I do NOT like is all the new MOD stuff...large floral busy stuff...and loathe anything done in pastels!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM

My apologies for all the multiple pictures that went in. I don't know why that happens.Thought I only clicked once. Tried to edit but couldn't cut out the extras.
Lynn
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 AM

I think how batiks look on the bolt as opposed to how beautiful they are when sewn into a quilt, it might change your mind. I too hated them until I actually made a table runner with them and now I'm hooked. Give them a try in a small project and see if you change your mind. If your mind isn't changed, you're ahead on your Christmas gifts with the project.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM

I love batiks but I think everyone has cerain fabrics that are just not their style and that is ok as that is what makes us all different. Just be who you are and you do not have to be a batik lover.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 AM

I love my batiks. I started out with Asians and slid over to batiks, but I also have other fabrics. I love Moda Marbles, Dimples, and prints, too.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
I know most of you are going to think I'm looney, but, I just do not like the batiks. I don't know why, they just are not my thing. Is there anyone else out there who shares my dislike of them or am I the only one? I read and see, how many of you use and rave about the batiks and I just can't get worked up about them. I have spent quite a lot of time in the fabric stores looking and touching them, hoping it was something I could overcome. Hope!!! SO,I was just wondering if I am in this boat alone or if others are sinking with me? Ha Ha.

I love them but it's personal. Don't worry, your boat is fine. Some of us took a different boat!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

I never dreamed when I wrote this thread that it would get such a response. But, glad it did. Nice to hear each persons views on this subject. I must add, that I have seen many of your quilts made of batiks on this board and they are beautiful. I just can't seem to warm up to them. Who knows maybe someday they to will grow on me. I do love the 30's reproduction prints and some of the large prints. As many have said "TO EACH HIS OWN". I hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings by writing this. That was not my intent.

Last edited by vondae; 02-15-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: rewording.