Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks-Love or Hate Them >

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 AM

I love the look of batiks...BUT BUT BUT... I do not use them on the back of a quilt as they hold very little WARMTH. I had an instructor mention that once, and she was sooo right! I used a beautiful batik on the back of my personal snuggler quilt for chilly nights and that quilt may be pretty...but I HAVE FROZEN under it many times. I made my hubby a snuggler quilt out of all flannels, same size, same batting BUT a flannel back and the difference is amazing. His quilt is like a TOASTER.

My wall hangings, table toppers, place mats etc will have batik backs, but any quilt I'm making as a USING quilt never has batik on the back.

I give it a thumbs up visually, but a thumbs down for warmth.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 AM
elm

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
I know most of you are going to think I'm looney, but, I just do not like the batiks. I don't know why, they just are not my thing. Is there anyone else out there who shares my dislike of them or am I the only one? I read and see, how many of you use and rave about the batiks and I just can't get worked up about them. I have spent quite a lot of time in the fabric stores looking and touching them, hoping it was something I could overcome. Hope!!! SO,I was just wondering if I am in this boat alone or if others are sinking with me? Ha Ha.
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a particular taste in fabrics. Just as we have tastes in art and music, we will have tastes in fabric. Some things appeal to us or speak to us others don't. I am mostly delighted by batiks, but there are some that don't appeal to me. Trust your eye and don't worry about it. Work with the patterns and colors you enjoy.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Default Batiks

[

I say to each their own. I don't care for Thimbleberries. They are just to drab for me. I do love Batiks, hand-dyed, and reproduction 30's. I bought a number of Civil War reproductions a few years ago. Not because I liked them..at the time I didn't...but I couldn't pass up the sale on them. LOL Now I"m making quilt blocks for our guild BOM and really like most of them. I"m sure not everyone will like the same fabric. Don't worry because you don't like Batiks..I"m sure there is other fabric you do like.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 AM

Sorry, but I love batiks. To me the colors are just gorgeous. And I love the feel of the fabric. I've been collecting them for years and, while I haven't made a whole quilt with them yet, I have added some to other quilts here and there. My problem is that I love the colors so much, I have a hard time cutting them up. But someday I will. I know exactly the quilt I want to make with all batiks. I just have to get about thirty other projects finished up first. (Sigh!)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 AM

I like the looks of batiks but I sure don't like sewing with them they are not easy to quilt and they do dull the needled more quickly than regular cotton besides cotton is soft and feels much better I agree it is good that we all don't like the same thing
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm drawn to Batiks - but find my stash has a little bit of almost everything except for Civil War repos... Just can't get into them.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 AM

Hate 'em... I just don't see what there is to love. But to each her own.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Me too!!! But I have friends that would crawl over crushed glass to get to batiks. Me - give me civil war or 30's any day!!!
Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I have to agree with you, vondae. For some reason, batiks just do not "inspire" me like prints. But hey, there's something out there for everybody, and kudos to those who love them!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 AM

Everybody is welcome to their own taste. Do what you love, work with what you love, and leave the rest to others. I used to hate Civil War and now somehow I just made 2 quilts out of it. And I'm done. Just like I went thru a '30's fabric phase. It's all good!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 AM

I agree with you Vondae. I don't like batiks much either. And yes, there are some that are beautiful. There was a Christmas line a few years ago that was nice but I can certainly do without them in my stash. When my BOM group has a block with batiks I have to go out and buy them.