Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition >

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Many of us live in small rural towns where Walmart is the only game in town. If you want or need fabric, it is good to have a place that is not an hour's drive. But I am thoroughly convinced that Walmart will carry what it wants you to buy, not what you want to buy.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Our Walmart was just remodeled. The place is a MESS! Many things not appearing on the shelves anymore and the craft/fabric dept. has gone downhill so bad!! Oh we still have fabric but its not displayed very well and customer service is just about nill!! I was told by a clerk that there was a lot more fabric sitting in the store room because they just don't have room for it anymore.
I can't understand this as we have tons of Amish living in our community and all we have for fabric purchases is Walmart and JoAnn's.

I signed and also gave my two cents worth. Not that it will do much good but can't say I (we) didn't try.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 PM

They have pulled the fabric section out into the middle of the store in the remodel where you feel exposed and naked looking for fabric. The selection seems to be down by 30-50%. It was comforting going to the sewing and craft corner. Now you almost get lost into another section before you realize you've run out of aisle. Disconcerting and frustrating so you feel like you just want to leave.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm with ya girl! I can't afford expensive fabric! WM fabric fine to me, don't see nothin wrong wit it!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks, sending to everybody i know to sign!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 PM

I do buy at WM. Everytime I go they have new and pretty fabric. I did buy from the 1.50 table to try some totes.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM

The new Walmart close to me does not have fabric at all. The others in town do, but one is being remodeled and I'm sure will lose fabric section. I hardly go to Walmart anymore. Last time I was there, all the lines were long and no express lane. WE are lucky to have a decent Joann's but I have to drive 20 miles for thread or any notions. I used to do x stitch and was unhappy when they stopped carrying floss. Where I lived then it was 25 miles to Joann's if I needed a 30 cent skein of floss. I am just not happy with Walmart at all anymore.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Hi, I'm new to this board and this is my first response but this Walmart thread just pushed my buttons. My sister has been a department manager for 14-15 years and I can tell you horror stories that go on at Walmart, but I'll try to keep it pertinent to this thread. I just spoke with her last night and she told me the 'powers that be' have now taken away from the department managers the ability to reorder items until the stock count says "0" for 24 hours...then they can order and maybe get something in 3-5 days. That means a whole week without a certain item. So with an already downsized fabric department, it is even more bare with unstocked items. Thanks for letting me vent. AND I love this board!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I signed it. Who knows what will happen.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by jljack
My friends and I do buy fabric at WalMart, and have found it to be fine for lots of "drag around" quilts for kids, varous gift quilts and even household utilitarian items. If you watch what you buy you can find some good deals on very decent fabric. I am not ashamed to say I buy fabric at WalMart...who's with me!!
I get fabric at WM. As you said, you have to look around,but I have gotten some decent enough stuff, and within my price range. Not all of us can afford the "better" stuff all the time. For kids, it is suitable, for cuddly, everyday quilts. I would love to buy all the nice stuff all the time, but limited incomes doesn't allow it.
I agree!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: