Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition >

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sally's girl
I know for one thing that Sam Walton did not opperate the way these "new age" corporate big wigs do. Sam would be very upset....
I have said this many times!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 AM

YES! :D about using sissors for other than cutting cloth!!

next time, if someone inexperienced comes to cut fabric, on the cutting table there is a groove, when the fabric is measured properly, they can start the cut while putting scissors in the grove, not cut but guide the scissors in the grove, and should have a clear cut piece of fabric.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 AM

I shop a lot at walmart for fabric and misc things. I would love to shop at the LQS more, but I am glad I have that option of walmart, especially since we don't have joannes or hancocks (closest is 3 hrs away) I personally like the remodeling. It makes the store look a lot better and not so run down.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
My friends and I do buy fabric at WalMart, and have found it to be fine for lots of "drag around" quilts for kids, varous gift quilts and even household utilitarian items. If you watch what you buy you can find some good deals on very decent fabric. I am not ashamed to say I buy fabric at WalMart...who's with me!!

I too buy there. You just have to watch what kind of fabric you are buying. You go girl!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM

I am with you and for exactly the same reasons you stated. In today's economy, I have no problem shopping in a store where I can save money. I still shop at JoAnn's and my LQS.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 AM

I HAD NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE EITHER, OR I SURE WOULD HAVE SIGNED IT. I REALLY BELIEVE IF SAM WAS STILL ALIVE THAT IT WOULD HAVE MATTERED WHAT THE PEOPLE WANTED AND THAT HE WOULD HAVE LEFT THE FABRIC CENTERS IN ALL OF HIS STORES, HE LOVED HIS CUSTOMERS ENOUGH TO WANT THEM TO BE HAPPY. AND THERE IS A LOT OF CUSTOMERS OUT THERE THAT SEWS AND QUILTS. PEGGY
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Walmart TELLS US what we want and we like sheep buy it,if by chance we decide we want something else our requests fall on deaf ears. How many names have been added to the list of "please bring back the fabric department' but they decided that scrapbooking is what we need to be doing instead of sewing. How disappointing. Do they care, me thinks not!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM

The few quilts I've made have been from fabric I chose at LQS and Ben Franklin, and other fabric store. I check on the texture of the fabric from B.F. and follow advice given about choosing: tightly woven but not stiff and heavy with dyes, and when crushed with my hand it doesn't wrinkle much.
There are 2 WMs in Harrisonburg. One eliminated fabric dept., the other minimized it...did away with the batting! Now tell me what moron made that choice!!!! A salesperson there told me space was eliminated from the dept. to give to electronics, next door. Electronics brings in more $. But, now fabric dept. has brought back the batting!!!! Well, that's a positive sign that someone is listening. Amen.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM

I certainly am not to good to buy my fabrics at WM and I have gotten many good deals.

quiltsrus
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 PM

I signed the petition....used to shop at Pace, FL Walmart..fabric dept was closed this summer...will shop elsewhere..
Still shop at the Murphy, NC WalMart...we are here for the summer months and the Murphy fabric dept is still stocked.