Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition >

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 AM

This is the first time I have seen this petition; I signed it! so it needs to be put out again!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 AM

I hope that Walmart figures out that their sales are DOWN by taking fabric out. I for one have to drive 30 miles to WM for fabric. Next closest is 55 miles away. There is a LQS 8 miles and may resort to that or buying online if fabric is taken out of my WM. I have K-mart and Pamida for discount stores 8 - 10 miles from me so Walmart will lose my business when they lose the fabric. And 2 WM's 35 and 40 miles from me in the other direction have done away with it. Don't even go that way anymore.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 AM

I go 1 1/2 hour drive if I want to get fabric, got another 45 minutes away, don't know what they are thinking, yes I do too. but its irritating to have to go that distance, and yes the fabric is going to be taken out of there too the end of the year. I just hate to pay such an outrageous price for fabric! and can get it cheaper at wal mart.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 AM

I have even called Bentonville AK and voiced my opinion about closing the fabric depts in the two wal marts here in Hattiesburg and it didn't do any good. The bigger one of the two now has precut fabric and fat quarters but it's not the same.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 AM

wish there was something we could do(hehehehehe, BOYCOTT/)I just miss it, Like someone said earlier, that was a way sewers ,quilters, and the other crafts got together and shared their stuff! Hey, I do know that one, cause I was fabrics&crafts manager for awhile!and I really enjoyed listening to the ladies talk about what they were doing.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 AM

When our Walmart had fabric I was spending $50 - $100 a week on fabric and of course that would get me in the store to look at other merchandise. Now I rarely go into a Walmart. Actually it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them go belly up like they have caused so many other stores to do. The one in my area is more expensive than Meijers.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 AM

I rarely go to Wal Mart, but I did go into our local one last week for something I could not find any where else. I had heard that the fabric departments were gone in most of the stores, but went looking around the store to see if ours was gone or not. Lo and behold, there was still a fabric section! It was smaller than it had been years ago before they remodeled, but it was still there.

I browsed through the fabric and was pleasantly surprised at the fabric that was there. It was better quality than I was expecting. I found some fabric that "spoke" to me. I hunted, and hunted for someone to cut the fabric for me. I finally hunted someone down in the shoe department who called on the intercom that someone needs help in the fabric department.

This is where the "good" part comes in - A young boy, about 16 years old, came to cut my fabric. !!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I told him that I needed 2 yards, and he actually looked like he knew what he was doing. He had been trained in how to measure and cut fabric.

But ........ when it came time to cut the fabric, he took a pair of scissors off a hook (these scissors clearly said on them "For FABRIC only!) and tried to cut the fabric. Those scissors would not even start to cut the fabric. They must have been extremely dull, dull, dull!!! He tried a different pair of scissors. They cut through the fabric, but the cut looked like he had chewed the fabric off with his teeth. I was wincing and grimacing the entire time he was cutting.

He noticed my expressions, and he asked my if he had done OK. I told him that pair of scissors had just chewed up the fabric so badly. I would have asked him to recut it, but I don't think there were any scissors that would have worked any better. So I just asked him if he could charge me for 1 1/2 yards of the fabric instead of 2 yards. He said - sure.

I came home and told my husband this story, and then reminded him "THIS IS WHY I TELL YOU NEVER TO USE MY SEWING SCISSORS FOR ANYTHING!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by sally's girl
I work at Wal-mart..customers are so upset with the new remodling that they are doing in various stores...sales are down. co. has decided to stop the remodeling on 28 store... I do not know how that affects the fabric dept. Corp. also deleted so many items that customer want so they are going to other stores. I do know that one store 20 miles from me petioned and got to keep their fabirc dept,(bolts)
They remodeled our Wally World and I hate it!! Tons of wasted space, no fabric department, lots of items no longer being carried. In some places the isles are so wide you could get a tractor trailer through them and then others, 2 people can not pass side by side in the same isle and it is a tight fit for 1 person.

I think Walmart is finding out that this decision of theirs was a really stupid one.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Well I signed it again even if someone said it was an old petition. Perhaps if more sign it still, they will reconsider. Our local store still has fabric but it's the notions I buy there the most and those are getting few and far between so the fabric might be next.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM

I signed your petition, but I refuse to shop at Walmart. Even though they have the lowest prices around. Every shopping experience I have had there has left me frustrated and mad. The stores are dirty and the employees are less than top notch. I will shop anywhere except Walmart.
I hope for your sake they take the petition to heart, but they are not know for listening to their customers.