Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM

My Sis recently commented I should make a quilt for our niece. I gently told her what some of the comments were from the ladies here quoting prices for making or selling quilts. She hasn't brought it up since.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by bigsister63
You should be giving a gift to make the receipent happy not to get compliments for yourself. Do you feel the same way about no appreciation when you give a store bought gift that you may have spent a lot of money on?. What do you expect person to do - jump up and down when they receive you quilt. The quilt should be made with love and given with love with no other expectations. Sounds like you are giving gifts for the wrong reason.
As a matter of fact I do expect the recipient to jump up and down, and if they don't I snatch up the quilt and bring it back home with me. LMAO*

. . . anyone if they aren't going appreciate it...be it a quilt or a pack of pencils from the dollar tree! LOL*
Actually, I probably wouldn't jump up and down, but I might have tears in my eyes if someone gave me something so precious!

And if someone doesn't want a gift, or can't appreciate what I give them, I figure I might as well save my time and money and just talk to them and save the gifts for someone else--someone who does like them or appreciate them, whether a pack of pencils or a quilt.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM

I must apologize. I think I was harsh this morning. It hurts when loved ones and family think nothing about the thought and hard work we put into our gifts. I should not SAY that giving to get a thank you is wrong. I SHOULD SAY it would be nice to be truely thanked. I have had many people say,oh big deal a home made gift. I have learned to share with those in need and only make gifts for those who request one.
I AM SO SORRY FOR SOUNDING SO JUDGEMENTAL,(PS I can't spell)
Please forgive me,Chrissy B
Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

My brother is the only one that doesn't have a clue! I recently made one for him as his Chemo quilt. His wife understands why I made one for him. He appeared to like it when he saw it, and called it a blanket. That's OK, I think when he gets around to reading the label, it might make sense to him. I would have made it for him anyway since there is nothing else I can do.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Mine too! Thats why I started making more for ME! =)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

I do only give away quilts to those that are important to me. I gave matching quilts to my wonderful brother-in-law and his wfie years ago and months later, they couldn't wait to tell m how much their two dogs loved the quilts. They were not kids - they were both in their 40's at the time. Go figure.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM

I am going to jump in here because years ago I too was one of those people I think I got the impression because I heard "old timers" talk about the left over fabric,feed sacks etc so I just assumed they didn't pay for that but once I got interested in embroidery work knitting and now quilting I have really changed my attitude.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:23 PM

I made a quilt for my 10 yr old granddaughter for Christmas in her favorite Buckeyes colors, red, gray, black and white. She wasn't real excited about it until her mother explained what is worth and then she didn't want to use it, afraid of damage! We explained that it was made to be used and now it is the only blanket on her bed. She just loves it!

So, yes, I understand completely.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

I have had a wonderful response to my quilts including my niece and nephew who immediately showed them to my brother and then put them on their beds. I do most of my quilts for donations. I have one question for you. I can only store so many quilts in my home, if you don't give them away, what do you do with your quilts.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM

I just find more groups that need a hug wrapped in a quilt.
There are more people in need than you can imagine.