Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 AM

Ask your self this... Am I learing what I wanted to learn by doing the BOM. Am I enjoying the experaince. If you said no to both ? Then I would save your money and try a BOM at a later date. Quilting is supose to be fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM

DON"T give up especially if the ladies are all nice and helpful and don't intimidate you. They all had to have had a start also. You have to start somewhere and i am sure as you complete it you will see how you have improved from the beginning block to the end block. I get frustrated at times with my cutting exactly. But all my quilting friends keep encouraging me. So don't give up and continue on. And with all those experienced ladies helping you it can only be a win win situation. Best of Luck
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Now, don't you feel just sooooooo much better? When you need encouragement you just come here and read everyone's knowledgeable comments and when your done reading I'd just like to bet that you head straight for your sewing machine with a big smile on your face. These wonderful quilters have done that for me (even though they don't know it) and are doing it for you. Positive thoughts - your quilt will be what you want it to be and will look lovely on your bed!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 AM

My suggestion is that you NOT allow yourself to rip out anything until the next day. It is totally amazing how much better things look the "next day"--what looks huge the day you do it, fades with time (and our focus) By "tomorrow" we are able to look at the whole, and not focus on the "mistake" we feel we have made.
And another thing--let the others know this is your first try. Quilters are helpers--they will encourage you. Do stay with the class. You will be glad you did.
Happy quilting! (Remember, it's suppose to be fun.)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 AM

The longest journey begins with the first step.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 AM

Don't give up! You are learning with each stitch you sew. I've started the Michael Miller Clubhouse which is basically a BOM.
I'll still working on the first month. It's not perfect but I'm learning so many techniques. This month we are working on
flying geese units. I am working to make sure I have 1/4" seams. This will be my third quilt. Each one was a challenge
and each one had mistakes. But I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I finished them. Good luck on your project!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Continue with the group. Everyone started at the beginning.

Pick their brains and learn all you can. You say they are friendly and willing to help. Go for it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 AM

I belong to several quilting groups. One group asked me to join them to help instruct the new quilters, so in that group, I'm more advanced. However, in another group my work pales in comparison to those who are far more advanced than me. I sometimes marvel that mere hands can create the work they do! It is easy to become intimidated when we compare ourselves to others. I've even contemplated dropping out of that group. However I've decided that it is to my advantage to remain. This group raises the bar and these quilters inspire me to keep pressing on and my skills will improve. I'm sure your group recognized that you were a newer quilter, but they have confidence in you. Hang in there; you'll be so glad you did!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM

No, never quit. Just keep on making those blocks and consider it a learning experience. We always see our own mistakes and not others, we are our worst critics. I feel that way sometimes at 'show and tell' at our guild meetings, some of those quilts are so gorgeous and I think I would never be able to make something so beautiful. Please don't throw in the towel on this, keep going and once it is finished, and quilted, you will love it and think of everything you will learn! Just my .02 worth.
Michelle G. in El Paso
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM

You know what i do is,i tell myself this is not going to beat me :!:
You are not going to give up,you here me :!: .Take a deep breath and do it :!: .
If you need any help we are here for you,please never give up.
Connie in CO