2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Allysgrandma, welcome aboard!!

What a nice hubby! He meant well.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 AM

Well, ladies, my quilty friend came to spend a few days with me and we got lots of sewing done, But she also dragged me out shopping because she needed quilt backing. We went to one of our favorite shops run by an Amish man who loves seeing us come to the store. It turns out he is selling the business lock, stock, and barrel, and had fabric for $4, $5, and $6 a yard, plus jelly rolls for $29. I'm not confessing anything because I will be thrown off the wagon into a deep ditch and not allowed to come out. That's all I'm saying about that subject.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-11-2019, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

gran...you prefaced your statement with "we got lots of sewing done". You have replenished what you used right? Sorry to hear your LQS is shutting down.

On my living room floor is a big block project that is using up 6 1/2 yards of fabric that should be sewn together by noon. Binding and backing should take care of another 6 yards, hopefully from stash.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM

Welcome Allysgrandma. I too went on a cruise to Alaska in September last year! I did buy fabric as souvenirs but had some pretty strict guidelines about what I bought -- and that was before I joined this group. Remember that there is nothing wrong in collecting fabric, it's just that some people have more room and either more organizational skills than some of us or more of an ability to deal with it. I was finally diagnosed with vision issues a few years back and had to admit that no, I wasn't going to be able to use all this fabric and started to purge my collection. First I got rid of the non-quilting stuff, that was easy! Then the craft stuff, also easy. Then so far I've given away about 12 black plastic bags full of quilt stash, and out of all that fabric there is only one piece I regret and I was pushing myself to let that one go. But I've realized that it would still be in my stash unused so I'm feeling better and better about it. Also makes it easier to let go knowing I will survive and other people will use this stuff I'm just keeping in boxes. Keep the stuff you love, and ditch the stuff that you don't.

Heehee, Grann... good going on your stash growing if not on your stash busting.

We gave the comfort quilt to our friend in the small group. We usually start with some show and tell, so I showed the completed Not Quite Y2K top and the funky back. Everyone agreed there was no better use for that fabric than the back of the Not Quite. The other projects were shown. Then one of the ladies said, oh! I have one more show and tell, and pulled out the comfort quilt. The recipient said oh that is gorgeous! The other lady said oh, you must read the label, and that's when she realized it was for her. It was quite touching and fun. Her procedure is today and my thoughts are with her.

Although the thrift stores by my mom's were calling my name, there was nothing there for me. I have the grey/blue Pfaltzgraff Yorktown stoneware. The St Vincent has a lovely large collection of the brown version including several pieces I don't have. But as I often tell myself, I don't collect the brown version. Still it was hard to pass by because the sale was everything in cases was 50% off, and it was an entirely fair price to start with -- and I had already found out that the income tax return had been auto-deposited. Still, nothing for me there or at the Goodwill.

I still need to cut some of the border units for the Purple quilt, white is done need about half the long purple strips. Found some coloration flaws in the fabric I'm using so it's slightly slower going than the semi-fussy cut along the stripes I'm already doing.

While I was at my mom's I pinned together as many purple/white units as I could until I ran out of pins. Still have a long ways to go, but I can't work on anything until I get those pins freed up. Well, yeah, I do have a baby quilt that I am changing how I am going to do the binding but my plan is to finish drinking my coffee, get off the computer room and start sewing my stash.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM

Grann sorry about your LQS. Of course it's only neighborly to help him out on clearing his fabric though. Sounds like you had a great time and as Ok mentioned you did say you got a lot of sewing done.
Welcome Allysgrandma.
I plan on spending my day sewing as winter seems to have come back the last few days. Wonderfully wet snow that should turn everything really green.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM

Let's just say I more than compensated for what I used. We'll leave it at that. I rarely do impulse shopping but one store had a kit that I simply Had to have, so that jumped into my arms. But everything else I bought goes with something I already have that needs help to complete a quilt. The store that has been sold is still going to be a quilt shop, he says, but I am concerned that the new people will raise prices. The building will need some work to bring it up to date, and it is in the area of Intercourse and Bird in Hand, if you are at all familiar with the Lancaster, PA area of quilt shops. So it will be interesting to see what happens. And our truly favorite store that has the $5 closeouts is losing its beloved manager, she is retiring, so things will probably change there too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Gramm.... 51 yards is great, I don’t feel so bad buying 4 yards backing fabric and 1.5 yards for backing on a small project to be displayed in a quilt show in about 2 months. I also p/u 2 blocks for 2 BOM projects. One is a mystery, /so i’m Curious about how it will finish. End of this year I should know. Back to BHMQ-gf.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Welcome Allysgrandma!!

Grann...sounds like you have plans for most of what you bought so kudos to you. One of my favorite shops that was my local source for reproduction fabric closed a few months ago. The internet shopping has really impacted LQS.s. Hopefully, prices don't increase too much with new owners.

Making hexi's with my monstrous mountain of 2 1/2 squares. Have no idea what to make and waiting for inspiration to hit but it's fun in the evenings. Didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I am cuz I really dislike most hand work. Wonders never cease! Lol..
Old 04-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Allysgrandma: Welcome! Please share pictures of projects. We love pictures!

Iceblossom: I hope your friend's procedure went well today.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the kind thoughts, retiredteacher. Word is that the procedure went well, it was quick and no surprises. She was back home resting by mid-afternoon. Her daughter has come to stay with her. Cancer is such a scary thing but sometimes it works out just fine... of course, the waiting is the hardest part.