Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by deema
If I can't find a single endearing quality...I say nothing at all. If its a one on one situation where I'd clearly be expected to say *something* I'd say something completely generic - "Very interesting fabric choices" or whatever. I really try to find something I like about any project, even if it's not my style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to be "that guy" (well, I'm a girl) that said something about someone's work and hurt their feelings. Quilting techniques and choices are very much a personal thing. I put a fair bit of thought into the things I do for any given quilt. Maybe my color choices don't appeal to you...but there is a reason I chose them. Know what I mean? Maybe I chose those colors because they remind me of my deceased grandfather and I wanted to make something to honor him. For someone to then tell me my color choices are crap would break my heart...
I had a friend years ago who told me: My mother always found something nice to say about my friends even if it was 'I like the way that boy parts his hair.' Sooner or later I figured out the rest of the story.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Been there, almost made my tongue bleed and had to dig deep but did find, 'I love the color of the fabric' or 'that block pattern is really interesting'. Don't pull the rug out or zing the creative soul. We all take baby-steps and some of us take our whole life in learning to walk. If they reach out and ask, remember to walk together.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I remember friends were teaching me the applique, and it looked great on the front,but don't aske me why the back had longgggggggg stitches. One friend didn't think about opening her mouth to say " Wow, the front is great, but the back is just awful". We still are all friends, and we laugh about it every time I think about doing the A.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM

I agree with Carrie Jo. I may not like the colors or pattern but someone did and I am don't like to judge their choice. I do wonder about the uneven stitches if they are very uneven. A slight deviation from even is acceptable. The quilt may be by a new quilter or a child.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Say nothing at all.....most people take offense to criticism. Or I would try to find something nice to say like fabric colors or choice of print, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM

I can always find something to admire - What a pretty blue fabric! Or the color choice for the border really frames the quilt nicely. If you try to see the quilt through the other persons eyes you can find something nice and encouraging to say.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM

I try to find at least one positive thing to say.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but honesty is sometimes wanted. I like to hear what others like, but also about what they noticed as not looking good. When I point something out that bothers me I don't want to hear, "Oh, no one will notice" if, in fact, they will!

I've been quilting for less than 2 years and have turned out quite a few projects -- some terrific, others under par. I have begun to listen only to my own voice since fellow quilters seem to feel it is necessary/important to always praise.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
It was made with love and thier best skills. after the show my guild put on I am very open to all sorts of piecing and quilting. I hve learned alot about both. Kind words are the first comment to make.
Exactly - find something positive to say!!! I will never forget what happened at a local quilt show. A mother was proudly selling her elementary school-aged daughter's crafts and small quilted wall hangings and overheard the criticism of the handiwork. It was awful - the critics thought the mother had done the work and just kinds went to town on the list of faults, advising people not to buy the goods. Just awful.

From a related perspective, you never know if the goods being sold were done by senior citizens, mentally challenged (stroke or retardation) individuals, or others just learning a craft or with challenges of their own. Imagine the first meal you ever cooked for someone or first ornament you made in school, which you were very proud of having finished ... and think what it would feel like to have it reviewed.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 AM

I would never put any ones work down as making a quilt takes time and it is sometimes difficult