Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
FUNKY FARM BLOCK SWAP-Sign up Deadline Extended! Aug. 1, 2011 >

FUNKY FARM BLOCK SWAP-Sign up Deadline Extended! Aug. 1, 2011

FUNKY FARM BLOCK SWAP-Sign up Deadline Extended! Aug. 1, 2011

Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

We used to have lots and lots of all different kinds of fowl. We couldn't let the chickens run loose due to coyotes, which were really thick around where we used to live. We raised English Pointer bird dogs too...Sadly, the dogs got out one day while we were at work and dug into the chicken house. We had "The Great Chicken Massacre"...very sad. I made DH bury them all. A couple of the roosters made it tricky to get the eggs in the house.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
We used to have lots and lots of all different kinds of fowl. We couldn't let the chickens run loose due to coyotes, which were really thick around where we used to live. We raised English Pointer bird dogs too...Sadly, the dogs got out one day while we were at work and dug into the chicken house. We had "The Great Chicken Massacre"...very sad. I made DH bury them all. A couple of the roosters made it tricky to get the eggs in the house.
I like an english pointer...nice smart dogs.
Those dogs will do that, like kids in a gang....Our beautiful but stupid collie and the neighbors dog chased the other neighbor's sheep. We had to move him to a new owner in town.
But what I was going to tell you, all of those beautiful New Hampshire Reds - roosters got eaten by us!!!
There were seven of us so - Attack us = in the pot!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by Foxflower
Actually, we live on a farm. There is a small irrigation stream that runs by the house. They hang out in that. It has lots of trees, shrubs, etc for cover and shade. When that was dry last year I set up a shallow stock tank for them. Thankfully I don't need to do that this year...what a pain to drain and clean. I've given up hunting for the duck eggs. I have hard enough time finding all those free range chicken eggs and am sadly highly unsuccessful-- little stinkers.
I used to live on a farm too! I understand you perfectly!
We had 200 chickens, but kept the feed troughs in the old chicken house, We filled those in the evening, Kept the chickens in over night or really bad weather and let them out in the morning. We had a bunch of pole roosts and lots of box nests, which they used, which made the egg gathering easier. Otherwise, they were free range.
200 :shock: chickens? You must have had quite the egg selling business going on. I had 60 and have been selling hens and giving away chicks....tooo many chickens! It has gotten expensive to feed them. Out here in farm country eggs don't demand the same price they do in more urban areas either. We do enjoy raising poultry. I might try geese, turkeys, or guineas sometime too. Any of you have those?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

We did the turkeys, geese and also the guineas. My fav of these are the guineas...this is funny...we raised all these birds at a livery stable located in an older part of a really "ritzy" little town. The barn had been there for years and the neighborhood grew up around it...so these were nice nice homes- filled with "city" people. One day, the guineas escaped and were wandering around the neighbor. Of course, I got in the car and was driving around looking for them when I spotted them up in a tree in someone's front yard. Those of you who have heard the noise that guineas make would know that it was making quite the racket...These guys are better than watch dogs..believe me! Anyway, I'm rolling down the window to call to them when the "lady" of the house opens the front door wearing her robe and rollers- complete with the fuzzy high heeled slippers and screams at her DH " Harold, Harold!!! Come quick, there are TURKEYS in our tree!!! Call the police!!!"

As soon as I can quit laughing, I roll up the window and silently creep by..... LOL!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM

:lol: That's hIlarious! Some people really take the cake. :shock:
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Beautiful ducks!! I miss living on the farm except all the droppings.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp
Beautiful ducks!! I miss living on the farm except all the droppings.
I hear ya there :!:
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

yup..yup...and some of those piles seem huge!! :shock:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, but what happened next?
Did Harold call the police?
If he did, did they come?
I know the guineas would come home on their own eventually!
Did you lurk around the corner and call them?
Since guineas catch and eat bugs right out of the air, they might be strong minded about running about....LOL!!!
Jeannie
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
yup..yup...and some of those piles seem huge!! :shock:
Yes, and mama pigs are the worst!!!!