Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM

When I first got mine it did the same. I discovered I was threading the needle wrong. My other machines thread from right to left and my FW threads from left to right. hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rita222
When I first got mine it did the same. I discovered I was threading the needle wrong. My other machines thread from right to left and my FW threads from left to right. hope this helps.
I think your featherweight should thread from right to left.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM

your right I said it wrong, anyway it is working good now. thanks for the correction
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Depending on where the thread gets caught and breaks - it is possible the needle is in backwards. For some reason the way they make the needle, it will cut the thread if it is in backwards. The tension could also be too tight but more than likely it is the needle, or the thread itself is bad.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Thanks, Gramquilter2 for the manual in PDF form web link.

Even though I have the original manual with my machine, it is nice to have a backup just in case.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 PM

I have a wonderful little 221 that I have not used much. I will be trying to spend some time with it after I get caught up a bit. My good Quilty girlfriend lost her battle with cancer and left it to me. It was made in 1951 and was a gift when she was 8 years old. I need to take a basic class on maintenance. I will look forward to learning some here.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 AM

I've asked this before & didn't hear from anyone. My FW pulls to the left when stitching. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Katy
I have a wonderful little 221 that I have not used much. I will be trying to spend some time with it after I get caught up a bit. My good Quilty girlfriend lost her battle with cancer and left it to me. It was made in 1951 and was a gift when she was 8 years old. I need to take a basic class on maintenance. I will look forward to learning some here.
Sorry to hear about your friend. However, you can order a great book all about FW's and their maintenance from Featherweight RX written by David McCallum. The name of the Manual is "The Featherweight and I " The book also has his email addy, if you have any questions, since it is published in his book and this book is on the market, I don't think it is against the rules to list his email addy. If so, moderators and delete the addy. [email protected], also www.Featherweight221.com I ordered this book and am so glad I did. It is very useful and is illustrated. You have a great machine and have fun using it. I made a 10 min. block - xlarge twin size quilt for a graduation gift, all pieced and quilted on my 1937 FW. I cut the quilt out on Mon. 5-23-11, started it Tues. evening, completed it Sat night or early Sun. Morning 5-28-11
It was so much fun just making it on the FW.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM

Misseva - sounds like the feed dogs may be out of allignment... you may want to take it to a repair person or ask Billy here on the board...aka Lostn51
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
I've asked this before & didn't hear from anyone. My FW pulls to the left when stitching. Does anyone else have this problem?
No, I haven't. C9P