Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 AM

I purchased a small traveling Rowenta Iron from Hancocks, just for my sewing room. It has leaked from day 1. I am not very impressed. My DH has a Rowenta for everday ironing and he loves it. Go Figure. Mine leaks his doesn't.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 AM

We use a Black and Decker Classic and really like it. It's a little heavier than most irons we have used and while it does have the steam feature, we don't use it. We like the additional weight and the fact that it gets very hot. We have purchased so many irons, from the cheapest we could find to the pricey ones. They don't seem to last and don't get very hot.

I also have a two small irons for my sewing/quilting. I use them for classes, when I sew with my sewing buddy at our shop and at home when I just need a little iron. I love them but we are so glad we found that B & D Classic. I believe it costs under $25. Good luck finding an iron that works well for you.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 AM

I have had three rowentsa and will never spend big money on an iron again. I sew everyday and I now only buy cheap irons. The rowenta leaked, the new black and decker the teflon wore off, so now I just go to wal mart and buy the cheapest iron. The current one is over a year old and still works fine.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 AM

Have you contacted Rowenta? Like some of the other replies, I too, have irons fronm WalMart. My expensive iron has leaked from day one, so I went cheap and no problem. I try to use the lightweight one when I am working on pressing the seams of small pieces, and being I am also making adorable dresses for some of our 4 legged furry friends to wear the smaller iron on the dining room table ( a cheap non-leaking one) works great. Let Rowenta know that by spreading the word about their irons on a site such as this you are reaching a large group of uers. By he way, their irons, although listed as coming from Germany, are made in, WHERE ELSE, CHINA.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 AM

I bought a cheap GE because I got tired of cleaning the sole plate of my Rowenta. It was always picking up "stuff" from spray starch and from using fabric softener sheets on my laundry. I love the cheap iron more then the expensive one.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 AM

I have a cheap iron from Walgreens, it was under $15 Had a Rowenta and it was too heavy for me.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 AM

since using a T-Fal that is the only iron I will use they are just under 40.00 dollars here and can be found at Penny's or Target I use tap water in it and it has powerful steam and by using tap water they have lasted me for 3 years or better and mine always has water in it and used almost every day Itried Rowentas and was told they were not meant for daily use like that oh yes the T-Fal also has a teflon plate very easy to clean as I also use lots of heat and bond lite
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 AM

I have the Reliable also. Best iron I've ever had. Had to pay dearly but worth it to not have the aggravation of the leaky Rowentas.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 AM

After reading all the boards here, while lusting after the high end yellow Osilo, I decided to give a very inexpensive Sunbeam a try from WalMart. It takes 30 minutes to shut off, is light weight, but works like a charm. Best of all it was under $18.00. What I really wanted was the 30 minute shut off while I was quilting. I have stopped putting water in mine though and now just use a spray bottle.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM

I have a Shark which I've had for about 2 years - no problems, and then I had the opportunity to get a free Oreck with the purchase of the new Oreck vacuum cleaner - it also works great - the one before that was a cheapy but was eons old - it is a good iron, just that soemone before me used tap water in it - never emptied it - and it "froze up" so unable to get it to descale, so can still use it for dry ironing and not a bad iron either - I can't remember the name of it - but one you'd find at Walmart for a few dollars.