Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bummed about my CL purchase:< >

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Let me check with my SMG. He is wonderful getting me parts at his cost...
Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM

check with vacuum cleaner repair places, sometimes they carry parts for sewing machines and maybe you will have some luck that way.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Good idea, we do have a local place. How do I know if the bobbin case is an original part or not?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 AM

I am sorry you were mislead, but if your 301 is in good working order, other than the bobbin case, I think it is still a good buy. I am surprised you can get a bobbin case for that machine for $ 35.00. I would have thought more. I don't have the 301 but have heard it is a good machine. I have the 401, and it is a work horse.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 AM

I've learned my lesson as well. I purchased a machine from some in Ellicott City, Maryland off of Craigslist. Got it home, the tension is off and I can't get it right. The machine sounds like a tank, it makes sooo much noise. I even asked if there were any problems with the machine and she assured me it "runs great"...I guess I got want I paid for...a piece of junk. I don't understand why people have to be so dishonest.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I posted another thread about choosing between a 301 or a 185K and through various e-mails the seller assured me it was working great-she told me she had sewn on the machine. I met them at Lowes where the machine looked good in the case, gave them my $ drove away and pulled over after a few miles. I kick myself that I didn't look it over better, but I was excited. Guess what? No bobbin case. I e-mailed her, but I'm sure I won't hear back. The machine does run, feed dogs move etc. but my $75 find isn't such a great find anymore if I have to purchase a $35 bobbin case:< Ack.
The Featherweight also uses this same bobbin case and they can be hard to find and also quite expensive...I've seen them for as much as $89. Hope you find one. If the seller told you she sewed on it, she has to have the bobbin case. Hopefully, she will respond to your email.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by pennijanine
I clean my machine thoroughly after each project. I don't tighten the screws so tight that I can't get them out again. Did that one time!! Everytime I change the bobbin, I brush out all the lint. I have four of these machines and I love everyone of them. Wish I had known that you wanted one. I think I saw the ad you bought from, is it a tan machine?
Yes, the long bed tan one. Do you use a special screw driver or something?? They're at such a weird angle it's really hard to get them in and out!
You can go to Lowe's and find a screw driver that is bent at each end. There will be flathead and a phillips head end. I use mine all the time to get screws out of my sewing machine that can't be reached with other drivers no matter how small. Just go in to the tool department and act like a helpless woman and the clerk will get you to the right tool. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the tool--it has one--right now. froggyintexas
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 AM

i had a similar experience on Ebay. I purchased the machine, they said is was "working". When I got it the needle would not go down into the bobbin area. I contacted the seller and she said, well, I don't sew so I don't know. That was it! I had to spend $75.00 additional dollars for a new gear and a good cleaning. I feel your pain.
Michelle G
Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 AM

I recently got a 301A and am pleased with it. I had purchased the DVD from David R. McCallum titled Those Fantastic featherweights and it has a special section on the Singer 301. I have purchased from Sew-Classic (not affiliated with them) and got a new power cord for my machine, the singer slant shank walking foot and the slant quarter inch foot and a tube of the Tri-Flow machine grease and it was $46.05. That included shipping. I have taken the machine apart and also my featherweights and oiled and lubed them. Lots of history and good information in the video. Just love it. I also had to purchase a bobbin case for a Featherweight that I found for a friend on ebay. (I love to find them for others and they do the paying part. They give me an amount they are comfortable with and I get to have the fun of the hunt and win! Anyway-I missed that there wasn't a bobbin case in it and bought one (can't find now who I purchased it from) and it was on ebay and at a buy it now price. It is probably not an original-but I had given my friend mine from one of my featherweights so she could start sewing right away and I kept the "new" one. I think with shipping it was about $42-45. Enjoy your 301. It is a good machine.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by janiesews
I recently got a 301A and am pleased with it. I had purchased the DVD from David R. McCallum titled Those Fantastic featherweights and it has a special section on the Singer 301. I have purchased from Sew-Classic (not affiliated with them) and got a new power cord for my machine, the singer slant shank walking foot and the slant quarter inch foot and a tube of the Tri-Flow machine grease and it was $46.05. That included shipping. I have taken the machine apart and also my featherweights and oiled and lubed them. Lots of history and good information in the video. Just love it. I also had to purchase a bobbin case for a Featherweight that I found for a friend on ebay. (I love to find them for others and they do the paying part. They give me an amount they are comfortable with and I get to have the fun of the hunt and win! Anyway-I missed that there wasn't a bobbin case in it and bought one (can't find now who I purchased it from) and it was on ebay and at a buy it now price. It is probably not an original-but I had given my friend mine from one of my featherweights so she could start sewing right away and I kept the "new" one. I think with shipping it was about $42-45. Enjoy your 301. It is a good machine.
Did you have any problems with it? I read on one website that the reproduction ones can have problems. Then on another website they're selling "tested" reproductions. Which leads me to believe they must be hit or miss. If I can find a black one in the $75 range locally then I guess it just makes sense to buy another machine(and make sure there's a bobbin case with it!). I've not heard back from the seller and I really don't expect to now.