Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 PM

I love the boomerang swaps and April! I participated in the first three swaps. I still have to put the quilts together. :oops:

In my present circumstances, it got too expensive, but I loved playing with everybody's fabric and got such cool scraps.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM

lynne--i'm not stressing, but i have some other quilt commitments for this month and don't want to get totally overwhelmed! thanks. right now my back is not playing well with others, so to speak, and that is just one more obstacle and it makes me feel like i'm being whiny and making excuses. certainly not what i'm doing. i'd like to get all my august commitments out of the way! i don't think it's usual for so many to have issues about finishing, do you? how many booms have you done? ok, maybe i am stressing... lol. i'll try not to! are you on for the next one?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM

mj-- i have been wondering-- do you think most boomers actually get their quilts made? wish you could do it again. would love to swap with you!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
mj-- i have been wondering-- do you think most boomers actually get their quilts made? wish you could do it again. would love to swap with you!
I don't know but I do have plans to finish these. I have them ready in their little "piles" with the border fabrics and everything.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM

In Boom 4, I had send 3 different fabrics. Today I just put the last of the blocks together. Feel like I really accomplished something. Of course, they aren't quilted yet but that is another story.

Originally Posted by nancia
Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM

pokerdiva-- i'm curious how fast do you quilt?! i can do a baby quilt pretty fast, but the rest take time.
some of the blocks from the boom will be made into a lap quilt or 'shawl' for my mother who is in the memory unit of a nursing home. she's about to be 91, healthy as a horse, and can't remember where her room is.fortunately, the nurses all think she's cute so she gets lots of attention.
the other blocks i have not a clue, but they'll tell me in time, so i'll wait......
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM

nancia, you just have no idea how far behind I really am. LOL. That was boom 4. I am in 2 boom 5's and several other swaps. Had to drop one of my monthly swaps. I just couldn't keep up.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Thanks.....I'm going to do mine in chunks to start.15 pds is my 1st goal.

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Originally Posted by plainpat
I'd like to sign up for the 5pd challenge, but can't find the post.
We don't sign up,we just do it.It's for motivation.I find if we set a goal number for the month,like 5 pounds,then I work like heck to get it off,and if I lose more great,but at least I have to lose 5 pounds.Because when I do it every month,it adds up after awhile.
That's what I did.I looked at 250 and thought,Oh,I just can't do it.But thought,maybe if I did 5 pounds at a time,{and kept it off},then move on down.So that is what I did.I didn't even look at my end goal,because frankly,I didn't think I could even do it,but knew I could do 5 pounds,3 pounds etc.Even tho it's taken me 4 yrs and still counting,I'm still doing it that way,This is the 1st time I didn't lose at least 5 pounds a month.So,don't know what's up with that.Because I'm still on my plan,but think it's just not working for me,or I need to cut more calories.That's why I'm trying different things now to switch it up a bit.But also it's been hotter than heck here and can't get out and do a lot in 115* heat.I almost had a heat stroke in June,so slowed down a lot outside,I was sicker than a dog.So that could be it too.But it IS finely starting to break and cool off a smidge,and I've lost 2 pounds already,so am hoping my dry spell is over. Your 15 pounds is good too.We just have to have a goal for each month that is realistic.And a number in mind,and meet it.Do what ever you have to to do it,and do it.And keep doing it,till you get down to where you need to be.I don't know where that is for me,but I a least need top be 140.That's realistic for me.I was told I should be 125 to 128 by 2 dr's in the past.I may be able to get there,but I found I need to stay there and not regain any weight.So keeping it off is the fly in the ointment.A lot of us can lose weight,but we can't keep it off.That's why mine at 3 pounds or 5 a month is slow,but stays off.So,I know you can do it too.You have the right mindset to do it.A lot don't.They want to lose weight,but don't want to plan ahead and make goals,plan meals,plan how many calories we're going to be eating every day.How many calories we're burning,etc.It all has to factor in.So,good luck.I'd like to see you meet your 15 pounds this month.Heck,i may join you in that challenge.I'm that far behind,so ya,I'll do it with you.I'm 160 now.Good luck to both of us!and every body else!I know we can do it!Let's get er done!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, it is a little hard for me to not feel weird eating differently in front of people at the moment. I can't wait to get to onederland too. The idea of looking at the scale under 200 is really what's pushing me forward. I can't wait until we can celebrate being under that mark. :-) I'm trying to focus on a smaller amount at a time too, it seems more manageable than saying I need to lose 60 lbs or so.

Today was a bit harder for me because I was dying for some ice cream since it's been hot. I wonder when the sugar cravings go away? I made myself work on binding a quilt instead, which keeps my hands too busy to eat. LOL
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Good morning to all. Thank you everyone of you. If it had not been for this thread, I could not have lost the weight on my own...Again, Thank you.

I hope everyone has been having a wonderful weekend. Louisiana has been having a lot of rain...one good thing about all this rain...the temps are suppose to stay in the low 80's next week.....Yay....Yay.

For the new ones just joining this month, there are a lot of caring, loving, supportive people on this thread. Checking in every day was a very good thing. It keeps you accountable to yourself. Telling someone that understood what I was attempting to do and knowing that I would not be judged was a tremendous help. So check in often.

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day.
Boy,that is so true,these are not a judgmental group at all.Everybody is welcome.Don't care if your blue,red,black,white,or pockadoted,gay,straight,bi,married,single,transgen der,or young or old,600 pounds,or 130 pounds,healthy,or like some of us,have disabilities of all sorts.A lot of us have daily pain that we have to work thru too.We are all here because no.1 we love quilting,and no. 2,because of this great thread MJ is running.We are a diverse mixture and have a wealth of knowledge between us.What one don't know,another does.They encourage all questions,concerns,you ask,they come running to HELP you out.Our personal problems do effect our weight loss progress.So,if you have a problem,and need help,and feel like sharing,they will do all they can to help you.I don't know of any other place you can get ALL that and then some.Like tips and recipes.And yes,above all encourgment!You are not alone in the struggles of losing weight.It's not easy to do.But together,we can make headway.So,Good luck ladies.Let's let the skinny girls out as mary says!