Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with adult bibs for nursing home- >

Help with adult bibs for nursing home-

Help with adult bibs for nursing home-

Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM

My county ext. homemaker's club cooks a Christmas dinner, sings carols with and makes presents for the residents of a local nursing home each year. This year, we have decided to make adult bibs for them(2 each) and one for ourselves (and the husbands who attend) to join them in wearing for our dinner. I found some really great patterns on outonthetownbibs.com. My question is-what can we back them with that will repel some liquid, and remain supple after washing and drying? I'm thinking of using plaid flannel for the men's as it can look like a vest and tie. We haven't decided on what to use for the female ones. Your help is appreciated. Thank you, Selena
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM

How about using the mats for baby cribs that are water repellant. The ones I have seen are flannel covered.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Selena
My county ext. homemaker's club cooks a Christmas dinner, sings carols with and makes presents for the residents of a local nursing home each year. This year, we have decided to make adult bibs for them(2 each) and one for ourselves (and the husbands who attend) to join them in wearing for our dinner. I found some really great patterns on outonthetownbibs.com. My question is-what can we back them with that will repel some liquid, and remain supple after washing and drying? I'm thinking of using plaid flannel for the men's as it can look like a vest and tie. We haven't decided on what to use for the female ones. Your help is appreciated. Thank you, Selena
Well, I made some burp cloths for my new GD and I used the rubber backing u put on slippers. Bought it at Jo Anns. I used flannel on top and bottom and that in the middle also for laying her on it to change her diapers. Forget what u call it but just ask for the slipper rubber, etc. Will b perfect...... :lol:
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Try some PUL (don't know the full name) It is a stretch knit that is covered with water proof coating on one side. The 'mama's' that make their own diapers and 'rubber' pants use this. You can google/bing cloth diapers and come up with a few sites that sell the diapers and PUL. I had a lady I took care of in my home a few years ago and I made pads for her to sit on in her wheelchair. When she had accidents it didn't leak through.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Couldn't you use the vinyl tableclothes? Put the printed side of them as the "wrong" side and have the soft fuzzy side that would be against the patient.

You can usually get these on sale after a holiday for a few dollars.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Try some PUL (don't know the full name) It is a stretch knit that is covered with water proof coating on one side. The 'mama's' that make their own diapers and 'rubber' pants use this. You can google/bing cloth diapers and come up with a few sites that sell the diapers and PUL. I had a lady I took care of in my home a few years ago and I made pads for her to sit on in her wheelchair. When she had accidents it didn't leak through.
Poly urethane laminated- thanks that might work if our club can afford it. It sounds like great stuff.Haven't found anyone local that carries it yet.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Couldn't you use the vinyl tableclothes? Put the printed side of them as the "wrong" side and have the soft fuzzy side that would be against the patient.

You can usually get these on sale after a holiday for a few dollars.
How well do they hold up under repeated washings?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Be careful to not call them "bibs" when giving them to the residents. I cared for my aunt after she had been in a Board & Care. I told her I was putting an apron on her, and she said, "Thank you for not calling it a bib." They need bibs, but they are still sensitive.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps check with the nursing home as to what has been used in the past. They'll know what has worked ... and what has not!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Be careful to not call them "bibs" when giving them to the residents. I cared for my aunt after she had been in a Board & Care. I told her I was putting an apron on her, and she said, "Thank you for not calling it a bib." They need bibs, but they are still sensitive.
That's why we are going to wear them too and make them not look like "bibs". hopefully. Thanks for the advice.Selena