Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM

pandmommy. are you sure you gr grdf divorced your gr grdma, or just took another wife? Morman's?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
my ancestors arrived in America 16 generations ago on the wooden ship Arbella
Hi QuiltnNan, my ancestors were on the North American continent for ages and ages and welcomed the folks that showed up from Europe and they all had that first turkey dinner.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM

My gg-grandfather was a state senator for a county in Colorado. Later in life he was working in a mine and there was an explosion. He died but remains as the "Gallagher Ghost" in Leadville.
On my dad's side, there is a relative from the 1600's that was supposdly related to Robert the Bruce (never verified) and we are related to Miley C. (Hannah Montana). My granddaughter was very excited about that. (Something like 32nd cousins three times removed)
My grandfather was in the KKK, but quit because when he joined he thought it was a group against the Catholics. (He was German Lutheran) Funny how his son ONLY married Catholics. Life is strange.

On my husbands side his gg grandparents lived next to Boston Corrbett. (The soldier who killed John Wilkes Booth) he was a rescluse and always said "If they find out the truth they will come after me". I wonder about that comment now that the rumors are out there that JWB was not really the man in the barn. Will be curious to hear.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

My great-grandfather was one of the train children sent out of New York who was sent to Ohio in the late 1800's when he was 10 years old. His 9 year old brother was sent with him and he went on to Texas. My great-grandfather was removed from the the train in Ohio so consequently on my father's side, we can't trace our ancestors any further back than that. There all sorts of books out there on the Train Children and it was a sad point in our nation's history.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi Suz - Are you talking about the mountain fire in Centralia which I believe is still burning? Or could be Mt. Carmel? I remember my dad taking me for a ride (I was about 4 or 5) to the fires east of Wilkes-Barre in the Boro of Laurel Run. If you travel up E. Northampton St. toward the mt., you will still see steam from the fire especially if it's raining. All the homes were demolished because of the threat of gas entering the basements. I'm 66 y/o now so that was a long time ago. These fires have been burning all this time. I wonder if they will ever go out?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM

My Great-grandfather's name was Jesse James Needs. I guess he was an orphan in England, so when he left the orphanage he name d himself . Don't think I wasn't made fun of in school. But now have proof of it.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

What a fantastic thread this is. Some so funny, some nostalgic and some just plain hilarious. Aside from my father, the fevenuer, I had a grandfather who was sort of famous in some circles, he was a Methodist minister who wrote a book supporting the question of the sabbath, name of book was "Sunday the True Sabbath" He actually attended a Mastadon dinner in NYC given by the Explorers Club, I believe it was called. I guess he was still alive when I was born, but father never talked about him because when he was in high school, his father got a calling to go to CA to form a new church there. Guess Grandmother refused to leave Kansas and go to CA, so he left her in Kansas. My father subsequently had to leave school and go to work to help his mother , brother and sister survive. Guess the Rev. Samuel Walter Gamble married again, maybe several times but have no idea if he ever divorced grandma, who had died before I was born. I only was told of this shortly before my father died and he left some pictures of his father and brothers and sister. Sounds like even the clergy had their problems.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM

My grandmother was a Lippincott, one of the oldest families to have a surname from England. That family history has been traced back to the Doomsday Book.

And, I'm a member of the DAR.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Let's see.. DH has the most interesting family tree of the two of us. His 11th great grandfather came over on the Mayflower and had owned Scroobyshire in England. (His genealogical tree was pretty straightforward and took about 8 years of researching.

My tree has been a bit more difficult and a lot more suprising, at least to me. I never knew my great grandfather but he had 24 children and lived in southern Ohio-West Virginia. His first wife left him (no divorce) and he married a girl the age of one his daughters! I have visited the area (Peach Mtn) and it's beautiful. But my goodness the stories I've heard in the past 5 years!! And research does uncover a lot of once hidden details.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Grandmother is from Irland
Grandfather is from France
Both other grandparients are from Poland.
According to my Father that makes me a Hot tempered Dumb Lover and I have to learn to live with it.