Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? >

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Why do they even bother with making the fabric if it's "Not for commercial use"? As for me, it (the fabric) can just stay on the bolt at the store.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM

When I buy a DVD I share it with my family, I didn't buy it to watch by myself. I also will watch DVD's that my family and or friends buy. we are not copying it or selling it.
But when I buy fabric I intend to use it as I see fit, sell it or give it away. If I can't do this I won't buy it.

Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
If you buy a DVD it is NOT yours with which to do "as you please;" if you make a profit by showing it to or copying it for others, you are in violation of federal law.

Why is everyone so up in arms about fabric? It isn't different. Neither is buying a pattern that states you cannot reproduce it, or create items for sale from it. It isn't a new concept and I have fabric and patterns going back years that carry this restriction.

This whole thread just plain astounds me. And not in a good way.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

ROFLMAO You are so right

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
Gee, if I buy a ream of paper at Wally world and write the next great American novel, do I have to give both the seller and paper manufacturer a share of the profits because the paper was necessary in the creation of the book? Then that means I also have to pay the computer manufacturer, the software producer, the printer company and the ink manufacturer.....................
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

I buy most of my fabric online..wouldn't (shouldn't) they be required to let me know up front if it is restricted use? and if not shouldn't I be able to get my money back when I can't use it as I intended? I think the manufacturers try to play chicken with us..they know we don't have the money to sue them... Legal or not, I think they are plain greedy. The purpose of fabric is for people to make something from it. That IS its intended use. That being said, Its entirely possible that large scale users of their fabric require them to restrict commercial use so the little guy selling at craft shows, etc., doesn't cut in on the large commercial craft producers market? That is, the fabric designer/producer wouldn't care if you used it and made a profit from your craft, but Joe Blow Bedding company won't buy in huge quantity unless no one else can make sheets (comforters, duvets, quilts) from that particular fabric, especially if we're going to sell at a cheaper price, no matter how small your market is. There's more business wrangling going on out there than we can possibly imagine.

Still, to keep me out of trouble, just in case....I want to know BEFORE I buy what fabric has restricted use and I think every seller should have to indicate the restriction.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM

There's a very fast and effective remedy for this nonsense... just don't buy any fabric with such a warning on the selvage. I'm not an attorney, but I suspect that once you buy something, what you do with it is YOUR business. Now, if they give the fabric to you... well... maybe. A general boycott would fix that problem very quickly.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Oh and patterns was decided on in 1879 by the Supreme Court

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Patterns.shtml
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm so glad you brought this up. I have some Winnie the Pooh fabric. I need to see if it says that. I would have never thought to look for "buyer beware" logo.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM

I posted the cases which include the case numbers, unless that post wasn't directed at me.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

The flannel warning has to do with fire hazard. I once saw a demo on tv about this. A child's cotton flannel nightgown was mounted on a mannekin and a match brought close to the bottom. Within seconds of exposure to the open flame, the nightgown (and mannequin) was completely engulfed in flames. There would have been no time to even "drop and roll", the child's hair would have been on fire, etc. The danger is only with loose pj's where air can reach both sides of the fabric simultaneously, because oxygen feeds fire. A law was passed banning the sale of children's pj's made out of cotton in a loose style. (Close-fitting cotton pj's are allowed.) The warning is on the selvedge of cotton flannels that could be made into loose-fitting children's sleepwear. Many people are not aware of the flammability hazard for children. Statistical tracking has shown the child deaths from this type of fire have indeed gone down significantly since the law was passed many years ago.

Cotton flannel fabrics in quilts is not a problem because the thickness of the quilt prevents air from reaching both sides of the fabric simultaneously. A quilt made of flannel will burn much more slowly than a single layer of flannel nightgown.

Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
What really bugs me is fabric with definate "kid friendly" design, especially flannel, that has a warning not to be used in children's sleepwear. I spent my whole childhood in "flannel" pjs. If it is not meant for kids who else would wear or use it?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM

This is so stupid - by restricting what a buyer can use the fabric for, the designers are NOT making any more money. They are just limiting money that can be made by someone else. A real "dog in the manger" type situation.

Look at it this way - if I buy your fabric, make things to sell, sell a lot, - then I am going to buy MORE of your fabric. We both win. If I can't sell the things, I will buy less or none of your fabric. Your profit goes down.

And what about all the resellers on ebay, selling licensed fabric? --3,563 results found for
disney fabric