Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim) >

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Monday weight in was not as bad as I thought. I was only up 1 pound so I can handle dropping that & hopefully another few before the New Year. All cookies were sent home with my son, as was the last of the pumpkin praline cheesecake. My body is seriously craving good healthy food right now.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Here's a quote I just heard: You can't fail unless you quit.
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I sure did!
MJ, I hope you are now stable and improving every day.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM

well i made it through christmas eve and christmas day without gaining !!!!!! yeah hope you all had a great holiday
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Here is the latest update on Ethan. I decided to put the whole thing on here so you can see how amazing Ethan's mother is. She stays so positive and can find blessings in the smallest things.

A Little Christmas Miracle
Miracles come in all shapes and sizes, some seen and some unseen. Many of you have been praying for a Christmas miracle for Ethan, and though this may not have been the exact miracle you were seeking, we must say that we did get a miracle in the form of family and good general health. Ethan was able to enjoy being with both sides of our family, was able to play and smile and open presents, and he did not have any other illness to bog down the fun! Given what Ethan has gone through these past few weeks and months, it is nothing short of a miracle that he had as wonderful weekend as he did with his loving and caring relatives. We are so thankful for the blessings we have received throughout this journey and cannot begin to tell you how much your prayers have meant and made a difference!

It is said that "out of difficulties grows miracles," and as we continue to count our blessings, we know that our Christmas miracle is just the beginning of what we need to pray for Ethan. He has continued struggling physically, unable to walk more than 3-5 feet without falling, and when standing in place he will often begin walking backwards ending up in a fall as well. Because his neurologist has left the country for a couple weeks holiday vacation, there is no other plan on the table other than to "hold out on any changes to see if the diet works." The suggestion in the meanwhile was to take him to see his physical therapist to ask her opinion on whether the unsteadiness was seizures or "ataxia" (a significant lack of muscle coordination). We brought him in on Thursday night and at the end of his session, the therapist delivered some news that was tough to swallow at first. She admitted that it is too difficult to tell whether it is seizures or ataxia. She did say, though, that Ethan is likely going to need a walker or arm brace crutches to aid his mobility, as he has needed nearly full assistance to walk longer distances. She said that a wheelchair may also be an option to look at, but she preferred not to go there just yet as she wants to "make sure he does not lose the muscle that he has left." We were left to stew with this thought over the weekend, and as we watched Ethan, the reality finally set in that this was really the direction that we have been headed. Ethan's neurologist once said on a TV interview, "no seizure is good for the brain," and due to the hundreds of daily seizures the physical signs of this are finally beginning to manifest...he has slowly begun to deteriorate. We are hoping to connect with the neurology clinic as soon as they return from the holiday break, to see if there is anything else we can do to help ease some of the significant tremor and ataxia as we wait for the neurologist to return and visit with us at our clinic appointment in January, though, we are not sure that there really is anything that can be done until the seizures are slowed or stopped...nothing except for pray and play, as often and as much as possible! In this, we know a miracle will grow...in some shape or size, seen or unseen...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM

i will continue to hold ethan in my heart and prayers. miracles come in all sizes and at different times. pam, keep your strength and spirits up! i'm sure you are the support for many.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 AM

As a mother of five, a grandmother of 12, a great grandmother of seven, and a reading teacher of many, children hold a special place in my heart. My prayers are being and will be continue to be offered for Ethan and, of course, for you and his other family members.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Good morning, Nanci. You're getting up and I haven't gone to bed yet.

MJ, Hang in there. You know you have the love and support of everyone on this thread.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 AM

Where have I been? Lurking and reading posts and hating not replying. Why? Because I was not put on Earth to hurt any feelings and it bothered me that someone posted her feelings were hurt by our posts that sometimes are directed to certain members. This is an open forum and everyone needs to feel they can jump in anytime. If a post is directed to someone, as I just did, there usually is a need.

I also took offense at several things, 1) being compared to a high school clique - I hated that term 50+ years ago and I still dislike it and 2) the fact that several of our regular posters agreed with the statement they felt left out. I have never felt that - just curious sometimes. I have hesitated posting this because I don't like to be a problem child, but I strongly feel we all need to participate and to be honest if we are to be successful. If you feel left out, then post more often. It's that easy.

Okay, I've said how I have been feeling and it's over. Can you tell I am of Irish descent and sometimes have the red haired attitude though I don't hold a candle to my grandfather, thank goodness.

I'm certainly not happy MJ has felt the need to step down for now, but I am very pleased Cindy has graciously consented to take over. I will keep the list and post more often. I've missed y'all more than you know.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Losing weight? - uh, not so much. Getting healthier? Much more so than several months ago.

The leftovers are a problem for me. Anyone else? I won't feel the need for exclusively healthy food until New Year's Day.

Christmas isn't over yet, so I can wish you all a Merry Christmas or a meaningful celebration of your faith.
Judy

Last edited by irishrose; 12-27-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 AM

I am on Nutrisystem and have been for 2 years. THis month has been a challenge and I have not been compliant. BUT I will be on Jan 2! I can't wait to get back on program and drop some #'s.
sandy
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 AM

Good morning Y'all!
I'm glad to see another newbie, and to see some of the regulars back.
I rejoice that Ethan was able to enjoy Christmas with family. Our family has many challenges with the grandbabies and several birth defects; we can appreciate each day for the gift it is.

I was not able to leave home Christmas Day as I had a very bad "spell" however I did get to celebrate with my niece and nephew on the Thursday before Christmas. DH and I had a great Christmas...we spent it together talking about Christmas way past with our grandparents and how different things were then.

I have had wonderful blood sugars over the holidays, all normal or very near normal in the 120's, such a blessing. No exercise except shuffling to the bathroom, but grateful I am able to do that.

I encourage you to examine your hearts before setting your goals for the New Year. What do you really desire? Is it a healthy weight? To be able to take less medication or avoid medication altogether? To improve your strength and stamina with longer exercise breaks?

Set your goals with your heart's desire in mind. Oversetting your goals will only frustrate and confuse. Pick something easy, then something challenging and then something tough! Tell us about where you are going and what you are doing...you never know, some one little something that is an after thought for you may be the impetus for someone else's start.

Good luck! and Healthy eating!
MJ