Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 AM

With all the GPS technology out there, you would think they could create a chip or something to sew into a quilt to help locate a quilt when it goes missing.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 AM

I am so sorry it disappeared but the "nothing we can do " is unacceptable. I realize their job is hard and taking care of patients is a priority but they could have at least spent a little time looking and put up a notice and told their caretakers to be on the look out for it.
I don't think the pattern is going to matter much to Granny Mary. As long as she has something you made to cuddle under.
My son(bless his little heart) said he wanted his quilt(his dad got rid of it) because it was warmer than a blanket because it was made with love. That is what is important.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
With all the GPS technology out there, you would think they could create a chip or something to sew into a quilt to help locate a quilt when it goes missing.
They actually had one at one time . I guess it didn't catch on seems it was discontinued.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 AM

So sorry you are having to face this. Recently I made a strip quilt. I took 5 coordinating fabrics, put the one i liked the best into a finished 6 in. strip in the middle and too the other 4 and cut finish 6 in strips x 2 and layed them out light to dark from the center fabric. It turned out pretty and then I quilted it down the center of each strip and at the seams with a zigzag stitch. I then used the one strip in the center to make the binding and it looks pretty good for a quicky. I just bought the length of the fabric to how long I wanted the quilt to be. I actually did this in 2 Saturdays and had life not interfered I might have gotten it done in one. The I have lots of lefover fabric for my stash.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 AM

You have my deepest sympathy.
But what do you want to do?
If the aim is to comfort her with something that shows your love, you could give her one from your home.
She may not know that it is not new, but it will tell her you love her.
Mary Katherine
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Prayers for your family...sorry about the quilt
Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Just a suggestion. I made a lap quilt for my friends Mother's who is in a nursing home. After it disappeared a couple of times she hung it on the wall as art. Her Mother loves it there where she can see it. It won't bring back the missing quilt but an idea for the future.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's declining health. I have a SIL in NH (age 45), due to her disabilities. She's been there since Oct. Her clothing has gone missing. All of her panties have had to be replaced twice; as well as other clothing. She had several outfits go missing b/f she was able to wear them. She is very short, and I really can't imagine many people being able to wear her pants. But, they were gone. NH has replaced them. First, I thought that they would turn-up. SIL is not able to go into her closet to choose her clothes. I thought that maybe they'd been mistakenly hung in someone else's closet (the ones that had been laundered) that was unable to go into their closet; and didn't realize there was clothing there that didn't belong. But, I guess not. Apparently, this is just a NH problem.

I agree with dunster above. As much as you'd like your grandmother to have a quilt that you made just for her during this time in her life, just buy one that can be replaced... and use the time that you would spend in making another quilt with your grandmother. TIME with her is really the most thing right now; and you will cherish the time when she's gone.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
for those that want to see the original quilt, here's a link http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t163723.html
i'm sorry to hear that it has gone missing
the patterns suggested by the other posters should work up well
Oh that quilt is lovely. Such a shame it is missing. But I can see why someone would have coveted it. I hope you can make a new one for her quickly.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Post pictures and maybe someone will see the quilt and contact you. It hurts when someone does this.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
for those that want to see the original quilt, here's a link http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t163723.html
i'm sorry to hear that it has gone missing
the patterns suggested by the other posters should work up well