Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed >

Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

I am new to embroidery (quilting too) and am asking if you have any suggestions as to a book, web site or anything that will help me learn how to download embroidery designs, organize them and then get them to my machine. I take lessons at my LQS, listen to directions on how to do this, but at home am totally lost. I have the Janome 12000 if that helps. When you first started machine embroidery were you as confused as me? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Dianne
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Not much help I'm afraid cuz I have the same problem. I am not very computer savvy. Enjoynyour Janome-i have the 11000
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM

take notes and keep them by you your manual is a big help. I was like you when I started but just keep doing it
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM

I need help also but I have a brother machine, which is packed up and ready fior the house to sell.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
I am new to embroidery (quilting too) and am asking if you have any suggestions as to a book, web site or anything that will help me learn how to download embroidery designs, organize them and then get them to my machine. I take lessons at my LQS, listen to directions on how to do this, but at home am totally lost. I have the Janome 12000 if that helps. When you first started machine embroidery were you as confused as me? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Dianne
I think in order for us to help you, we need to know where the problem is. What exactly don't you know how to do? Download?

For example, when you want to download a file such as an Mp3 file, you normally right click your mouse and where it says download, you release that. Etc.

Is that the problem? Because if it is, then those are basic computer issues. If you have a teenager around the house, get them to show you. They are amazingly patient--often much more so than a spouse!

As to how to get it to the 12000, I'm not sure how that works--but probably either directly with a cable from one to the other (from computer to the machine) or by putting the file on a flash drive and then physically transferring it (walking with it) to the embroidery machine. Once again, get a teenager to show you--they know how to do it all and will be amazingly patient with you. I know that a few years ago when I needed to learn how to download radio files (mp3), I didn't know how. My oldest son was great...he didn't demean me or laugh at me when I didn't know how to do the simplest thing.

Pretty soon I was showing other ladies who had no idea how to do something that it really isn't that hard--but it helps to be shown.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM

hi there, I've been doing embroidery for a little over a yr and do take classes as well. I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe now and for software I have 5D Pro, 5D organizer comes with the machine. The software will play a big role as far as organization and downloading goes. My teacher says even after all these yrs she's still fine tuning that part and always learning. Emblibrary.com under projects and kenny's archives he has lots of tutorials including organization, etc. Floriani has a great work book on stablizier; heres the link for that. http://www.rnkdistributing.com/pdf-f...Stabilizer.pdf
I check all the tutorials on all websites to get more ideas as to how to do things including the tons of learning things on Vikings site. My teacher also said that when you download your files you should make sure somewhere the name of co is attached so that if you ever have to reorder the design you'll know where to go and the orginal name (usually numbers) needs to be attached as well. Here's what I do: I set up a file called orders and then create folders in it;like for viking I create a folder called viking under the orders folder and download the files into it; keeping orginal name/numbers as file name. Then I open folder (its normally a zip file, I leave the orginal zipped) then I save the file under another section with a folder for what it is like Holidays, then sub-folder Christmas and save the file there. Say the orginal file number was 112 from Viking and it was a tree; it would be saved in Christmas folder and renamed Viking_112_tree. Then if there was something wrong with the file I could go to orders folder and find the file called 112 and restore it, if I had to contact the company then I'd still have the correct info to do so. Most companies will allow you to download files multiple times but the problem is the sometimes the archive them to save space and if you don't know the orginal name you can's ask the company and the picture won't be there. This way it'll be easier to redownload. I have folders called in Progress as well that I save files in while I'm working or modifiying them. Once I'm done changing them I move them into a file that has my name to it showing its been changed. Like I said, there are so many ways and I'm always figuring out new ways to do it and feel I'm not where I want to be yet. Different co have different ways how you download designs. Some of them put them in a cart rather you are getting them for free or paying for them. Some if they are free when you click on them will popup the option to save file right then. When I'm at work and don't have my software on my pc I just save them to a jump drive and view them when I get home. I don't know about your machine but Viking allows you to use different jump drives with the machine; not just the one that it came with. I put the orginal away incase I ever want to trade my machine in it'll be in good condition. There are so many free designs out there and lots of good specials. Here are a few of my favorites; emblibrary.com, oregonpatch (represents multiple co) cuteembroidery.com, juju.com, Hatched in Africa, annabove embroidery, urban threads, and there are so many. If you think I can answer any questions or clarifiy anything I've mentioned let me know and I'll be happy to help.

One thing when it comes to thread; before buying tons of one brand, check them out by buying a few to see how they play with your machine. My machine loves them all but I've heard some don't. I normally pick a few colors and then buy them in two shades because most designs that I've done do shading. Sears sells the Robinison online at a great price and it works great, Floriani and sulky, aurifil (mostly for sewing/quilting) Jenny Haskins, Presencia all have done really great jobs on my designs but play with and when you are looking at tutorials also look at the ones on needles because they'll cause more problems that the thread most of the time. Good luck and yes, I was just as confused as you are and didnt' ever think I'd learn enough by going to class once a month to make me happy but in a very short time by trial and error, reading everything that I could I've done alot and love doing it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

I am thinking that maybe the best thing you could for yourself is to see if they will do a private lesson. I know it normally costs more but then you have undivided attention and have someone who can really watch you while you actually do it - instead of you watching them. that normally works better for me.

The other thing that might work for you is to see if someone that was in your classes is really good at this - maybe you could get them to spend sometime with you, make a new friend and take her to lunch or make lunch at your house after you both work together for a while.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
take notes and keep them by you your manual is a big help. I was like you when I started but just keep doing it

This is a good idea espeically when you are taking classes or even take a day and go in and talk to your teacher. Have your questions in hand; if you don't write them and the answer down you'll forget until you need it and then be kicking yourself. You all can do it. You don't have to be computer savy..Lots depends on your software that came with your machine but you can always just save them to a file on your desktop until you figure where you want to put them. Note; you won't be able to see them in this file but they'll be where you want them. on you pc
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM

I have a Brother PE 770.

I have 2 flash drives for it. These can be bought at Best Buy, Wal Mart etc.
I go to several different sites for designs. I choose the format my machine uses, then download them to a file.
Usually they need to be unzipped (another program Winrar or 7zip are good programs), I extract them to a folder usually named Emb designs so I know where everything is. Then I transfer the designs to the flash drive and take it to the sewing room and plug the flash drive into the USB port on the machine.

It looks as though your hooks directly to a laptop or a PC. This should make it easier to get designs if its hooked up to the internet.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Many thanks Judy for sharing your knowledge!!!! Justflyingin- I can download, say from Embroidery Library, but not sure how to get it onto a jump drive and then organize it into files. Maybe I need to pay a teen to help me or take a beginning computer class along with my many quilting classes I take. Boy I just love quilting and embroidery so much, But I don't like the learning curve that goes with it. I guess I want a reference so I can have something to help me when I get stuck. Judy, I will copy your post and appreciate you taking the time to explain what you do!! You gals are the best. Dianne