Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them? >

Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them?

Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

I LOVE my 2 brother combo sewing/embroidery machines.

In fact EVERY machine I have purchased brand new has been
a Brother machine. Even the cheapo's that I bought my daughters
for learning on were fairly good machines (considering they cost
less than $100).

The one machine I purchased that was not a Brother was USED
a Janome it was a trade in and supposedly had been refurbished
to say it is a horrible machine is a vast understatement. If fact I
plan to use it as "practice" for taking apart to learn how to maintenance
and such.

My Brother Innov-Is 1500D cost me about $2300.00 about 14 months ago.
I say go it get one.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I've had a Brother SQ9000 for about 2 1/2 years. I love it. I have done all kinds of things with it. Machine applique, quilt-as-you-go, and machine binding. It has quite a few fancy stitches, is easy to clean, and takes any thread I care to use. It was only $200. I could not have done any better for the money.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

I just love my Brothers and have had it for a while with no problems. It is an inexpensive model
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 AM

I have a Brothers Quattro 6000D and I love love love it! It has all the bells and whistles. I've had brother machines for the last 20 years. I keep upgrading. They are the same as a Babylock only the price is lower. Once a year I bring it in for cleaning that's it. I just sold my Brothers PC 8500 to my sister in law and she loves it. My granddaughter just received a Brothers for Christmas a 6000CI and she loves it. Good luck. It's best to buy from a dealer where you can get lessons to take advantage of all the bells and whistles. Enjoy!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 AM

I do not own a Brother but I was looking for one & called a Brother dealer who sold them for years. He no longer sells them as they have changed production countries. Apparently they are now made in China & he will now, not deal with them. I am NOT knocking Brother machines as I do not have one BUT I do have a Bernina, which I absolutely love. Unfortunately, they are very pricey but with all the problems we are having with items made in China I would be VERY careful before choosing one.
As I read on here the other day, Rowenta irons used to be a quality product but lately several incidents have happened where they have caught fire amount many other problems. One member mentioned they are now being mfg. in China. Buyer beware !!! We spend good money on whatever item it is that we want & of course, want the best & SAFEST products available & I don't believe that is true of many items made in China. Labour there is cheap but what price do you put on safety & quality.
Maybe, try looking at a machine that has been traded in - you can get some very good machines at a reduced price.
Perhaps, you could afford something a little better if you do some very careful checking. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 AM

Hi I have sewn since I was nine and I'm now retired. I had always been a Singer person using the old and great Singer sewing machines of which I have 9 of them and love them all. But when I decided I wanted to do embroidery and fancy stitching I went and researched on the computer the reviews from Brothers, Viking, Singer, and Simplicity.
Simplicity is made by Brother, Viking was out of my price range, Singer was considered the worst machines, so I went to a local shop to try out the Brother and Simplicity machines. I then called the Brother company as I had made up my mind to purchase the 6800 Brother. It was the Brother representative that told me that the 6800 was the exact machine as the SE400. I asked alot of questions did the reviews again and my husband purchased the SE400 for me for Christmas. I have made two quilts, and made several table runners, as well as name tags for the grand children. I have embroidered the edges of two dresses, and the table runners. I have it hooked to my computer so I can download embroidery designs directly to the computer use them on the sewing machine. I am thrilled with this machine and will purchase another Brother machine should anything happen to this one. IT is a great value for the money. I have added hoops, and had a ball purchasing thread of many colors to use in the embroidery designs. Brother support is wonderful also should you have any problems with the machine. I will also add we purchase this machine through Walmart online home delivery because they offer an extended warranty for 2 years for $40. which is an in home fix or replacement. The total cost of the machine and warranty was $369.00 at Christmastime. I highly recommend this machine.

Last edited by NanaLinda; 03-26-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 AM

Both Brother and Babylock do beautiful embroidery. I have a Babylock 6 needle which is almost to the Brother 6 needle and it is a fantastic macine. Brother makes a great machine!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 AM

I have a brother that I got on sale at Walmart 7 years ago. It does Disney embroidery and sewing. I take it to classes and in our RV. I love it. This year I left it at home and brought my Viking 775......it broke down and I had to borrow my daughters machine. I have 4 Vikings...love my Diamond....but the brother has been a workhorse for $500. It is funny...I left it home because I was wondering if it has been used so much that it might break or wear out! I don 't know which machine I will bring with me next year. I do not want to subject the diamond to the RV.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 AM

I have a Brother NS30 which is a basic model although it was not cheap where I bought it. Overall I like it but the throat plate is plastic and I wish it was metal. I also cannot FMQ with it (tension- probably no connection with the plastic top but the bobbin casing seems flimsy to me too).

To be fair, most people do not seem to have that problem. For piecing it is great and tension has never been an issue where there is no batting involved.

Our local dealer (since we moved) is not a person I can do business with so, overall, if I had my time over I would probably go for a Janome instead, but your situation is different from mine so don't let me sour your view!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 AM

I have a brother embroidery machine that was bought at Walmart, a gift, in 2006 and it's still going, I also own a brother project runway serger which I LOVE it and before I retire I'm buying an brother emroidery machine that sells for over $3000.. I deserve it