Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM

I want my quilts used! At one time I was upset that my daughter wasn't using the quilts I gave her the way I felt they should be used. One I made as a wall hanging, with a special place in mind for her to hang it. It was hand appliqued with some organza and very pretty. She ended up using it as a "blanket" on the floor for her kids to sit on while they ate snacks and watched tv. She washed it several times, and it stood up to all of that! I told her that I was afraid that it might come apart with all that washing, and it never has! I've given them several quilts, and even the boys have requested special quilts made for them. What do I care that they get used, ate on, laid on, etc? They're loved, and I'M loved, because they were MADE with love.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
This is a hard topic. I suppose for those ladies that can finish one up a month, 12 a year, sure use them up. But for me, I have only finished one, so at this time it is spread out like a piece of art. I suppose when I become more proficient, I too will want to use them up so I can make more.
For the most part I make intricate complicated quilts very slowly. I usually complete about one quilt a year. I use my double sided Dear Jane quilt, I use both my whole-cloth quilts, etc, all the time. If it is too utterly precious to use, it is of no use to me at all, just one more bit of carpola to find storage space for.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 AM

But the fabric. Make the quilts. Use the quilts. Wash the quilts. Dry the quilts. Repeat. Sit on the quilt? Yep!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Yep, just like my china, crystal, living room furniture, etc.. If I can't use it and enjoy it with family and friends then I don't want it. The "stuff" doesn't matter - the fun times and memories do. I also collect sewing machines with the intent to use them rather than just display them. I won't stress if a quilt gets a stain or it rips or fades out - it all will add to its history and charm! But, I don't want my items dis-respected or abused.
**Ditto on this!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 AM

Sure! Use them. You made those, you can make more. I let the grandkids sleep under them, throw them over dining room chairs for tents, etc. They are for making wonderful memories. I even have a couple they can take out in the yard for "picnics". Who will enjoy them if not the ones you love?? I remember using an old quilt for a "tent" over the clothesline when I was a kid, one of my favorite memories.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM

I put out on quilt racks and the bed. The only thing to watch is that the hot Florida sun will fade them quickly. I try not to put the best ones in the room with large windows and keep the blinds closed when the room is not in use.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM

I put out on quilt racks and the bed. The only thing to watch is that the hot Florida sun will fade them quickly. I try not to put the best ones in the room with large windows and keep the blinds closed when the room is not in use.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 AM

By all means, use them!!!! I am proud of my quilts and other sewed items and can't wait to use them.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 AM

Use them, what good are they hiding in the closet, I have quilts on all of my beds. love walking in or by seeing them.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM

If you use a nice small stitch when piecing, there should be no reason for a seam to split when lying on it!!!