Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry skin caused by quilting? >

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:20 AM

I also use Neutrogena every night after doing dishes because in the winter my knuckles crack, and this has prevented that.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Melaleuca Renew is my lotion of choice. I had been using that for years. Then someone gave me a tube of oatmeal lotion, and I thought I would just use it up. I had at least 5 skin cracks in the 3 months I was using it. That hurts! So I went back to Renew. What a difference! My hands feel so soft and smooth!

Bag Balm is good too, (from the tractor supply store, LOL). Maybe you know someone who gets the Melaleuca Vitamins who could order a bottle of Renew for you. (Their vitamins are the best. Been using them for about 15 years, and get younger every year! I swear, I can't believe how much energy I have.)

Melaleuca's order number is: 1-800-282-3000 in case you're interested in learning more. (I'm just a customer.)

Last edited by maviskw; 01-16-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by masufa View Post
when I have cracks on the tips of my fingers I use super glue.
I use a product called New Skin liquid bandage. Seems to last for a couple of days before I need to put it on again.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Dr Oz recommended Aquaphor for this problem. I'm getting it at Walgreens today for my hands & cracked heels too! It's supposed to work miracles! We'll see.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Being diabetic, I have tried the Gold Bond Diabetics Dry Skin relief and I will use nothing else now!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by nanacarolyn View Post
I use( pure glycerin )(I worked in a sewing hall for 40 years we used it it helps you pick up fabric (None greasy
I remember my mom use to ask the druist for rose water and glycerin. I just thought about that and was wondering if it is still available.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
The best hand cream I've found over the years is Johnson's Baby Lotion. I use it year round. Unfortunately not even it does much good on my fingers when hand quilting. Been doing about 4-8 hrs/day of that for the last few weeks trying to get this baby quilt finished (it's a big baby quilt!) so my fingers are just a breaking, calloused mess at the moment. I'm closing in on the finish so not too much longer and then I can give my poor fingers a break.
i have the same problem, but I use Baby Cream at night and baby lotion during the day to repair the damage done to my hands by Sizing in new fabrics.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gennie1950 View Post
Last year I was on the quitville.com and read about a homemade hand lotion. I make it at the holidays and give it to all of my quilter friends. It works great, you can put it on, and quilt away, no grease and no damage to material. Your hands feel like silk. Here's the recipe I order my creams from Drugstore.com or the natural food stores. 4oz.Vitamin A Cream,4oz.Vitamin E Cream,2oz. of Creamy Baby Oil,2oz of creamy Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Mix with a mixer and package. This stuff is awesome. I even have told the store clerks about this and bank tellers. As a past teller I can tell you your skin becomes so dry. Hope this helps. It takes work but it is so worth it.
Do you have any problem getting your mixer beaters clean after mixing these ingrediants together? I have made this lotion but just mixed it with a fat craft stick but it does not mix up well. The baby oil just floats on the top and the vaseline is lumpy from not being mixed up good.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM

I have trouble with my fingers and hands cracking, so my doctor prescribed A& D ointment. Put it on your hands generously at night, cover with cotton gloves and in a couple of nights the fingers are healed. I also have trouble with infections in the arm since I am cancer survivor and have no lymph nodes in my arm pit, so I have to watch any cuts or skin tears. Also my physical therapist told me that all lotions except eucerin and one other they use in the hospitals are formulated to dry your skin so they can sell more of it. Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

love Bath n Body hand creams! all that she mentioned and also, LAY IT ON THICK. they make one for feet too that has been so good- Heel of Approval. best heel cream I have ever used. they may have renamed it but the sales folks know what you mean when you ask for it.
Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Yes I have the same problem during the whole time I'm sewing due to the amount of spray starch I use. I use a product from Bath and Body Works called "Look Ma New Hands" it only takes a very small amount and you do need to give it time to absorb. My fingers are the worst when I'm sewing on binding. Also there's a product called Udder Cream that works wonders. It can be found in drugstores and Walmart.