Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
considering a featherweight... >

considering a featherweight...

considering a featherweight...

Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
From what I've been reading, try to find one with the original bobbin case - apparently the reproductions don't work too well.

For some basic information:
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/fweight.htm
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/
Very true about the bobbin case.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM

I love mine. Sewing on it today as a matter of fact.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM

I never had any desire for one until one day at my local sewing machine dealer there was one sitting out that just happened to be for sale. He had given it a checkup and tune up so I bought it on the spot. It is just so darn cute sitting out in my living room and I actually use it occasionally also. Sure sews a beautiful seam.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM

I have 3 black ones and one white featherweight. I love them. I keep one in our RV and sew there when I get a chance. I bought all of mine locally, so that I could try them out. Check craigslist and you might find one locally.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM

I bought two on local Craigslist. Both were in decent shape, meaning they a not perfect cosmetically but both sew very well. I prefer the 1950s one because I like the marked footplate, but the 1930s one has a beautiful scrollwork faceplate. I use mine when traveling, and I have taken it to classes on piecing. I also taught two women to sew on one of them. They aren't nearly as intimidating as an expensive electronic machine to newbies.

pam
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM

My daughter gave me a 1952 Featherweight a little over a year ago. It had been restored to good running condition; but had been a well used machine that came with no case nor anything but the presser foot, one bobbin, and the bobbin case. I bought some presser feet, lots of bobbins, and a new foot controller from Nova Montgomery. I love, love, love that machine! My daughter bought it for me to take to quilting classes; but now I sew on it every day. I do all of my piecing on it using the 1/4" presser foot. When I got the machine, I was very intimidated by servicing it. Until recently, I used a check list and checked off each location as I oiled or greased it. I no longer need the checklist. Being a leftie, I detested threading the needle so each time I serviced the machine I wound 8 bobbins, put in a new needle, and put on a large spool of neutral thread. In the last two weeks, I have started changing thread as needed. I have an excellent book on caring for a Featherweight and have learned so much about the machine from the Quilting Board and from places like Nova Montgomery's Tip of the a Month. My Bernina makes stitches as beautiful as the Featherweight; but sewing on the Featherweight is much more fun.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 AM

SusieNC, I ordered a new, full-foot electronic foot control instead of the "little button" foot which drives me nuts also! I have the original foot stored away in a safe place just in case I ever decide to resell the Featherweight; keep that for value purposes. I love the new foot; it's what I'm used to so I find it much easier. I did order mine from Nova but there are plenty of shops online that sell the foot.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC View Post
I have one that I never use because it makes my foot hurt. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right heel. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the 221k.
My original foot pedal gets rather warm. I ordered a new one and even though it looks cheap it works so much better. The new pedal doesn't get hot and I feel like I can control it better.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I have one that looks great, came in the original carrying case with several attachments, the original FW manual and was purchased at a very reasonable price. It's a mid-to-late 40's model and sews like a dream. It now sits in a closet where it has been for several months and is never used. I wanted it so bad until I got it and then I realized I really didn't want the machine, I just got caught up caught up in another person's dream of owning one. I would sell it in a minute if I could do so without hurting my husband's feelings but he was so happy that I was able to find such a nice one after looking for a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that "I wish I had looked ahead before I leaped" and given more thought to what I was going to do with it before I bought one.
Betty, at least put it out as a decoration so you can enjoy it, and make it easier to remember to run it. Like cars, you do have to run them regularly or they won't run at all. You need to turn it on and sew with it to keep it in working order. If you can't do that, then do sell it. Your husband already knows you don't really want it because it is in the closet never used.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I wanted it so bad until I got it and then I realized I really didn't want the machine, I just got caught up caught up in another person's dream of owning one.
I'm afraid this might be me too, which is why I don't have one yet. They are SO CUTE, I love the history of them and the style and everything about them, and every time I see one I totally want it...but would I ever sew on it? I'm awfully fond of all the modern conveniences on the machines I already have. I spent a lot to buy a good quality portable machine to take to classes. At the last class I went to, someone was sewing on a FW and dang it's cute...but would I actually use one?? Probably not, I would probably be too afraid to take it anywhere, and at home I would probably not use it either.