Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years? >

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post

I recently heard a quilt shop owner say that Acufill is her thread of choice. It is expensive but you get a lot on the spool.
If she meant Aurifil, it comes in beautiful colors that are good enough to eat. However, it's only 2-ply thread. If you wrap it between your fingers and pull, it breaks very easily, way more so than Mettler. That's probably why there's a lot on the spool. It's thin. I use it for satin stitching, and it lies down beautifully, like a 60- wt thread. Harriet Hargrave says it's too weak for piecing, and I would agree.

I know that Aurifil is very popular right now, so my opinion will be less so. But you can test its strength for yourself. It breaks just about the same as Mettler 60.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM

The computer machines didn't like it. It made a LOT of dust. And dust and a mother board are NOT friends. I found I could use C & C in my bobbin, but not on top. So that is how I have sewn for years with my Pfaff. Because usinging Gutterman or Sulky only for the amount of sewing I do, became VERY expensive. In a pinch I have used ALL C & C, but it did make a lot more dust. I have seen the C & C change over the years too. Also C & C you used to have to watch and make sure you didn't get it on a GOOD deal, because it was made in Mexico and the quality was not for machine sewing. Hope that helped.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 AM

As others have said, they too have problems with POLYESTER THREAD, any kind, doesn't matter the name brand. It's just that C and C Dual Duty was a go to thread for thousands, for years and years. It is not cotton covered polyester anymore and it breaks and frays and knots. It also has clumps in the thread and as you sew along, it jams and breaks. I've found the cheapie polyester does that too, doesn't matter the brand. Polyester is PLASTIC. That is why I stated, I search, thrift shops, estate sales and yard sales for the old Dual Duty. I buy other brands of thread if I don't have a match from my vintage collection.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for all the comments.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
I have a Babylock Esante, and my dealer said not to use C&C thread. I asked why, and she said it's a bad thread. I asked what I should use, and she said, "Anything else. Doesn't matter what brand, just not C&C." She said her husband, who is the one who repairs and tunes the machines, uses C&C to test the machines. He said it's so bad, that he can tell what might be wrong by the way the thread behaves. I was kind of upset by all that. I've used C&C for many years, sewed all kinds of clothes and household items. It was always the only thread I'd ever used. I do seem to have more problems with breakage and shredding, tho. Maybe she is right. I'll have to use other brands more often and check it out.
SittingPretty -- I have a Babylock, and it was shredding my thread. The dealer told me to use only Gutterman threa, not C&C. . It seemed to work, then off and on it would start shredding too. I had my Babylock serviced, telling them that my thread was shredding off and on. $140.00 later, took it home and it worked fine for a day, then the expensive thread started shredding again.

I was new to sewing, so blamed myself at first. Finally, I decided it had to be the machine, so took it to a different dealer and asked if they would give me a trade in allowance for it. They said no, but the sales assistant told me it had to be the way I was threading it. She carefully showed me how to thread it, and it worked great for the few minutes it was in the store.

After bring it home again, the thread started shredding again!! I took it back to the dealer where I bought it, and there was a new man working on the floor. He was determined to get to the cause of it, as my machine was NEW. Finally, he took a little tube of SUPER GLUE GEL, put a drop of it on this little piece that stuck out, (about 1/18 ") told me to let it cure for 24 hours, and it has worked beautifully for the past 2 years with any old thread, or new thread I use.

Bottom line: it was the fault of my NEW Babylock, not the thread, not the way I was threading it, and not anything I was doing wrong. Since it didn't ALWAYS shread, it was difficult to figure out when in the repair shop.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 AM

I have had good experiences with Connecting Threads cone thread but I like using variegated thread for applique and they don't have many colors. I use sulky for this as I like the shininess of the thread when doing certain machine appliqueing and I always use a coupon.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Of course the quality and amount of thread on the spool has diminished. That has happened on all the products we use for quilting. Have you compared the quality of yarns lately? Manufacturers have developed all sorts of deceptive tricks to keep the buyer from instantly recognizing the hidden ways they have developed to hide the blatant cost increase in the name of profits. Newer sewers will not catch on to this but we older gals have not been fooled.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM

I have a computerized machine and use a lot of C&C Star Mercerized in it -- I love the colors and have even used it in my embroidery machine when I want a flat finish. It is a bit linty, but I clean the machines frequently whether it needs it or not -- and since I sew quite a bit of fleece and flannel it needs it a lot. The only thread I consistently have problems with is Sulky -- it is always breaking on me and has in 4 different machines. Years ago I was at a quilt show and bought some giant spools of Superior at a good price and I am still working my way through them for piecing. I guess I am a thread agnostic. One of my sewing machines will even sew with wooly nylon in the top -- I use it as a decorative thread.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 AM

I used C&C thread for many years with my old Elna and Viking machines, but my new Bernina doesn't tolerate it, the thread keeps breaking.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

I don't seem to have a problem with thread...I typically use older thread, C&C dual duty seems the regular.