Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Sounds like you just can't win. Or at least you can't win them all.

I noticed a recent locked thread and once I read the content it was clear why it got locked. (Negative vibes expressed.)

If someone feels the need to violate the rules [they are not THAT difficult to understand] and then feels the need to vent or complain about the administrators after they were called on their violation is acting pretty immaturely imo.

It would be interesting to hear back from the PDA users why they only post the quilt pics or general pics in the PDA and not in the GCC.
I enjoy my personal thread or PDA very much. I have posted pics that my friends would be interested in and if I think everyone else would be interested then I have posted on the main part.
The thing I like the most about the PDA is that I know I am not taking too much space and talking too much in someone else's thread. In my own I can talk as much as I want and know I am not stepping on anyone's toes.
I also like being able to go to friend's pages and joke around without offending anyone. I would hate to lose the PDA.
I guess I don't feel that it is taking away from the main part of the board as most of what I see in the PDA is chitchat that was frowned on before on the main part.
The PDA is a neighborhood where we enjoy talking over the back fence so to speak. That would take up too much room on the GCC.
Just my thoughts and opinion.

I agree with Rhonda. I love my PDA. I can let my friends all know at once instead of tons of pms., what's going on in my life, good or bad. I enjoy the togetherness and the knowing I'm not taking up someones space or saying the wrong thing in the wrong place. I still go/use the other areas and I find it no problem. I think if you do something wrong, you need a PM, if it keeps going, then put a lock on it. I hope I'm doing better at my postings.... Its hard sometimes to remember your in a forum, but I try my best as I love it here, and all my friends
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Banned

To me this forum is like reading the newspaper. I read what interest me, skip that , that doesn't. Just my opinion. You can't please everyone. If a person doesn't want to read say... jokes, diaries etc, don't read it.... BUT there WILL be someone who will go there first. Its hard to run a forum. I understand your delima. I used to have a Yahoo group, so I know what your going thru.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 AM

Well what I think is only a small part of this board........the main reason I like this QUILTING Board was just that for the Quilting......tips ....ideas....photo's ...problems......grant it I like the personal stuff from time to time but if I want to know more I will PM that person as we all should do.........if I want to know more I'll ask.....start your own sight....thought this was for QUILTING

Sorry to be so blunt......but isn't that what Facebook...Twitter.....etc....is for.......I want to learn and see more quilting....yes....more quilting

Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
(snipped for brevity only :D )
If PDA and GCC is scrapped as some have suggested, the board would become a very dry impersonal place. And that would be a shame. If you ONLY want to discuss quilting here and nothing else, you have that option. If you want to be part of the cyber community and engage with ppl on a more personal level, you have that option too. (snip)
I'll have to go back and re-read; I missed any suggestion that PDA and GCC get scrapped. Regardless, the PDA section is a very recent addition, and I have to disagree with this assessment of what the board would be without it - I found the board to be anything but a dry, impersonal place. We did interact on a more personal level - but we did it through reasonable posts, Chat and PMs when appropriate. We did it without loosing site of the board's main purpose - to be a Quilting Board. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly wasn't out of control either.

If I had just happened to stumble onto this board, and looked into a PDA thread where, apparently, the idea is to be as loose and risque' as one wants to be - what kind of impression am I going to get and how likely is it that I will stay? Is that good for the health of the Board as a whole?

What I find most difficult to comprehend is the idea that any member here ought to have the 'right' to say or do as they please. There is no community in assertions like that - and anyone who has been PMing Amma the way she describes should flat out be ashamed of themselves.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 AM

Here's my thoughts....if it is not negative...leave it. If it doesn't fuel negativity...leave it. As far as the new corner of posts(PDA)....I'd leave it. I find life simple and great here not having to hear or read sad life changing stories or those wanting freebie stuff. I know that sounds cold hearted, but, come on! Don't you think it is too soon to change anything yet? Aren't people's feet still learning the sidewalk over the first changes??
Do I read jokes personally??Once in awhile....but know the ones not to check on:)Humor is a different level for all of us but, there is obv. ones that should have their own rating:)Prayer requests....I believe sincere and not bothersome. Now, if you are wanting to make this a shop talk only...then just say so. Nothing but quilting or quilt talk here....people can learn how to 'pm' someone if that is what they need to do to share something off topic. Just call it....we shall follow...:)Skeat
Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 AM

I agree!!! I have let it be known in the PM's and emails, that I will not be a party to their attitudes or their games... nor did I appreciate them trying to recruite me. I tried being polite at first, but that did not get me anywhere...so I took a more firm, but still polite stand, and I don't hear from them anymore... but they still PM and email others.
I am not talking about a little venting...it was getting pretty ugly, and when I would not join in, they would get even more insistent. It is not that they are just grousing amongst themselves, they start trying to bring other people into it, too. Then it starts escalating.......
Yes if they truly have or see a problem, bring it here or PM a moderator or Admin...but these individuals wont' do that, and not because they are intimidated by them.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow--the pot stirrers need to take a break. I, too, didn't realize anything was up because we just went through this. Admin--don't lose sleep/hair over a few--clean the board up byfirmly excusing whoever needs to go to make your life easier and let the happy people stay. You are never going to please everyone. Make some rules--and start locking when necessary. It's so easy when we say it, huh?. :lol: :wink:
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Administrator

so where is the line drawn? and by whom? this will bring us back to the original issue that gave us pda's. now the pda users are saying that they like it because they can be raunchy over there? what's wrong with this picture?
It's always going to be a judgment call made by the moderators. There is no way around it. I'm just trying to make the process more transparent. So that nobody feels like they don't know what's happening.

If a thread with some jokes posted in GCC gets out of hand (as judged by the moderator), it would get locked and we would post a notice inviting people who were posting in that thread to take it to the (author's) PDA.

After that, it would be up to the users whether to continue that discussion in PDA or just drop it.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
It would be interesting to hear back from the PDA users why they only post the quilt pics or general pics in the PDA and not in the GCC.
Yes. I would like to know too.
I use the PDA section as like a blog. What's going on in my life at the time I am posting. I also post pics of my blocks for the swaps that I join and pics of my nieces and nephews when they are in or pics of my family when we canned last weekend, which I have to post yet. I also post the pics of the blocks in the section of the swap. I am trying to not be negative in my PDA anymore as I am trying to be more up beat and try not to post too many bad things.

Kyia
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

I am working on 4 quilts right now, do I hog the board and post them all?
It's a quilting message board, after all.
So while there can be too many jokes or too many prayer requests etc., there is no such thing as too many pictures of quilts here :)

Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 AM

gcathe, thanx for your input - I totally agree. (and notice that I'm not quoting a quote inside a quote which is inside a quote!)