Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom View Post
Last year, I just couldn't get myself to embrace the colors that Bonnie suggested. I have always wanted to do an Amish-colored quilt, and that is exactly what I did, and I was pleased with the result.

This year, I really like the colors, but I am also having difficulty embracing them again, for some unknown reason. I considered switching the blacks and neutrals because I love dark, bold quilts. On the other hand, I have always wanted to do a red and white quilt, and I am pondering making Allietare in four deeply contrasting values of red. I know Bonnie's quilts do tend to be busy, and maybe the cohesion of all reds will tone down the busyness somewhat.

Oh, my fickle heart.....Must decide soon!

wow, reds are an interesting Idea...hope you do at least one experimental block that way and share with us.

Warning this is from a person who has a box of experimental blocks...but I also have a GreatGrandaughter and with a few borders they make cute doll quilts.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Your fabric choices are beautiful!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Here are the ones I've pulled--probably too many, but I can decide as I'm working which work best. I'm using both a constant black and a constant grey.
Your fabric choices are beautiful!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I love your selections, AngeliaNR... having an 'odd' one here or there in the selections makes for a much more interesting quilt.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think no matter what the results, there will always be someone that will love the quilt. So I figure if I end up with something I don't personally care for, it won't take long before I can find a home for the quilt.

And to be honest - there weren't very many quilts that really appealed to me with the last mystery, no matter what colors were picked. But that is half the fun of the mystery - going out on a limb and accepting the risks of the challenge!
I agree with you on the last mystery. After seeing a lot of the finished quilts, I chose to put sashing strips between each block. I really like it now!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I also love seeing everyone's fabrics, and their completed units! It was one of my favorite parts of doing the mystery last year (which was my first mystery quilt and my first Bonnie Hunter quilt).
Me, too (this is my first mystery.)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I agree with you on the last mystery. After seeing a lot of the finished quilts, I chose to put sashing strips between each block. I really like it now!
JeanieG, did you post a picture of last year's mystery with the sashings you mention? I think I would like that too!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Suz

When deciding if you are interested in doing a mystery quilt, it may be helpful to look at other quilts Bonnie has designed. I really like the scrappy look. The color selections she has made for this one has brought me out of my box, colors I ordinarily do not use. And since this will be my very first mystery quilt, I am still game to give it a go. Like one of our fellow quilters has said, most of her quilts go out the door and this one could also pick up and go too or it may find a home here.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I've seen many like this. It seems there's a way to rescue the quilt even if you don't like the finished setting. I saw a post by one quilter who actually made three separate quilts from the blocks for Grand Illusion. It wasn't my favorite but the more I see it the more I like it. My blocks are all finished and I'd hoped to get them put together before this year's mystery but it's beginning to look like that won't happen.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
JeanieG, did you post a picture of last year's mystery with the sashings you mention? I think I would like that too!
This Google page shows lots of variations of the Grand Illusion quilt (last year's mystery). You can find a few with sashings added. Without sashing, the blocks 'spin' and the quilt has a lot of movement. When sashings are added it stops the movement completely. But to each, their own... You have to be happy with your own quilt.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...w=1366&bih=633