2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-10-2016, 04:18 AM

I have been trying to stay away from fabric stores, I can't resist bringing something home! I did go through my stash and now have a few ideas for projects. Cant wait to get started on some. Then... a friend came over with a bag. She cleaned a closet and found fabric. Then, a neighbor, she cuts fabric at a local store, found out I quilt. She has bringing me pieces of fabric that goes on sale. THEN, hubby wants to road trip to a big tool store, I go with. There is a Joanns next door! Idid go in and came out with a couple!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone...original pattern has a scrappy outer border, but passed on it...I want to get this done...scary thing is I probably have enough in the 2" scrap bin to do it..

Kudos to those who have resisted....here's my hand to pull you back on the wagon to those who couldn't...
Old 07-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
I'm wondering how I can justify a trip to the MSQC in Kansas.
No need to justify MSQC. It gets a free pass because of Jenny.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

July update...I've been sooo good all year! We went to the Upper Peninsula for a few days over the long holiday weekend, about 15 miles from our destination suddenly my hubby is pulling over- pulling in to a Quilt shop ( he's a quilt shop magnet! Always watching for them. it was a great shop. Very nicely set up, nice prices a huge variety I was amazed how much she had without it being cluttered. My husband who goes a little crazy in quilt shops ( behaved) and didn't start going crazy-- I only spent $27. He did say a girlfriend & I have to plan a day trip back up there when I have more money to spend ��
Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Oh, hit send too quick-- I used up another 3 yards of scraps on some small projects ( mug rugs, zipper bag) started an applique baby quilt with more scraps ( 2 yards so far and a yard of stash fabric for slashing, setting blocks) my room is starting to look much better-- without (scrap rubble ) everywhere!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Love the term, scrap rubble.....that describes my stash....
Old 07-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
July update...I've been sooo good all year! We went to the Upper Peninsula for a few days over the long holiday weekend, about 15 miles from our destination suddenly my hubby is pulling over- pulling in to a Quilt shop ( he's a quilt shop magnet! Always watching for them. it was a great shop. Very nicely set up, nice prices a huge variety I was amazed how much she had without it being cluttered. My husband who goes a little crazy in quilt shops ( behaved) and didn't start going crazy-- I only spent $27. He did say a girlfriend & I have to plan a day trip back up there when I have more money to spend ��
Just curious, what shop? Love to go to shops that have been recommended by others.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Oh man, I just resisted a tough one! Connecting Threads sent me an email for a yardage sale. Fibs and Fables, a line I've been wanting forever, was 40% off. I found a pattern I loved. I started building the cart with all the yardage I would need, and seeking out FQs from prints CT doesn't have in that line. The project cost went up and up. I had to accept I couldn't actually afford it, and I didn't need to add to the piles of projects.

For my birthday, I'll treat myself to one quilt's worth of a nice fabric line. By then I'll have a better idea of what I'd like best. This week, I may still treat myself to the pattern. It would look great in some large scale prints I already have stashed. And some Aurifil thread, too, since I'd love to try it and need more piecing thread anyway.

I've also been holding up with resisting big box fabric. No matter how cute the print or low the price, that papery stiff texture never washes out. Better to save up for the good stuff.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:39 AM

I need an intense red that is light in hue but not pink. Why don't i just walk over niagara falls on a tight rope it would be easier. Only need a fat quarter or less. I need 6 pieces that are 4 inches by 3 3/8 inches. Grrrrrrrh. I'm not going all the way to salem 70 miles one way on a search for fabric for one flower on grandma's flower garden. I'm just not...at least I hope not.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:30 PM
Power Poster

Pleased to say I got the BH top done...choose a different fabric for the outer border. I was then able to have a wider border and the quilt finishes 78x89..fits a full bed nicely and can use 2 widths of fabric doubled for the backing...got that pieced tonight, too.

Then pulled out another UFO...10" squares and will finish at 90x110. This one inspired by Barbara Brackman's Under Lincoln's Stars...all from scrap 2 1/2" cuts, 1 1/2" cuts and some 4 1/2" squares. Not sure if I will add a border or not...Will take a while to get this one finished..