Finally got a treadle

Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Finally got a treadle

I finally found a treadle machine that is beautiful, close enough to pick up and didn't cost a bundle. I got it for $150. and everything else within 100 miles was $300 - $2,300. The only thing I could find wrong with it is the rubber disk on the bobbin winding wheel. I am sure it is a model 15 (Y5178176). Everything seems to be there and it moves beautifully. It needs a belt and oiled and a manual. I found that the manual is probably pretty generic to Model 15 but still would like to know the sub-model.

I called a local shop today to inquire about a belt and oil. He launched into a speech about not needing the oil. He said that I should use silicone spray. He said that is what he uses on all the machines now. I have not seen you guys discuss silicone instead of oil. He also said to buy a 'composite' belt rather than an expensive ($30) leather one. Think I would rather have the leather.

I tried to post pics but was having trouble following Patrice's directions for resizing and uploading. Even with my glasses I had trouble seeing the screen and I am old and new fangled things like a computer are a challenge for me. I know how to email photos (I didn't get past resizing) but this is different. Can anyone offer any suggestions and I would love to hear where you guys stand on the silicone issue. If anyone would like to contact me by email, let me know and I can send you mine.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM

I wouldn't take my machine there. Sew-Classic.com has the belts for $12 or under. I would recommend the 3/8" and not the 1/4" from experience. They also have TriFlow grease and oil for competitive prices. They ship fast and are very trustworthy. Jenny shoots strait and I have never had a problem with anything I buy and I buy all my restoration parts there. I have no other affiliation with them, than good service.
Donna
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
I wouldn't take my machine there. Sew-Classic.com has the belts for $12 or under. I would recommend the 3/8" and not the 1/4" from experience. They also have TriFlow grease and oil for competitive prices. They ship fast and are very trustworthy. Jenny shoots strait and I have never had a problem with anything I buy and I buy all my restoration parts there. I have no other affiliation with them, than good service.
Donna
Thanks for the recommendation of the 3/8". I would have been lost. I have read enough here that I didn't feel good about going there. One reason I called first. It has taken me all these years to get a treadle. They don't fall off trees here in So. CA the way they do in other parts of the country. This one is a beauty. Has the Phoenix? decals and they are in good condition. Cabinet is nice. I will keep working on trying to post a pic. I would love to know what sub-model it is. I thought about posting it in the Facebook quilting board thread. LOL I just found it last week. Didn't know the QB had a FB page before that. Maybe I will post my pics there. I know how to do that too.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the Sew-Classic.com site too. I knew about them but have not had a reason to order anything from there. - YET
Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 PM

I just checked and she has leather belts for $5 and $6 on sale. Also there is a tutorial about how to measure sewing Machine belts for replacements. You can always call and speak to Jenny. I have and she is very nice and helpful. There are all kinds of belts. She can guide you. Remember belts should be snug, but never tight because that will cause too much pressure on the bearings and potentially damage the machine. Snug will work fine. It would be worth a call, but first look at the tutorial and get an idea. Most leather belts come with a metal hook that goes through a hole you will make in the belt, once you have determined the correct length for your particular machines. I fit one on my DDs model 27 and it works great. My mom always fit the belts for hers in the same tried and true way. You will probably need to cut some off the belt in order to fit it. Be brave, just careful not to cut off too much. You can always cut again, but you can't glue it back on. Sew-Classic belts are as good quality as any I have found. I can safely recommend them. A leather belt will last 20 years or more, so I see no particular need to get a synthetic one. How about you? Good luck. If you get puzzled, call Jenny and she can get you out of the woods.
If you order $65 or more, shipping is free. I usually order a solid state controller, felts for 221 and 301, a tire or two, spool pins, oil and grease. Look at the attachments and repair parts. They have rubber feet for 221s and other machines. Check out the free tutorials. I downloaded 3 tonight. She has bobbins, even metal bobbins, if you prefer. I buy all my vintage restoration parts at Sew-Classic because of the great prices. A lot of QBers get parts there because of good service too.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 02-23-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
I just checked and she has leather belts for $5 and $6 on sale. Also there is a tutorial about how to measure sewing Machine belts for replacements. You can always call and speak to Jenny. I have and she is very nice and helpful. There are all kinds of belts. She can guide you. Remember belts should be snug, but never tight because that will cause too much pressure on the bearings and potentially damage the machine. Snug will work fine. It would be worth a call, but first look at the tutorial and get an idea. Most leather belts come with a metal hook that goes through a hole you will make in the belt, once you have determined the correct length for your particular machines. I fit one on my DDs model 27 and it works great. My mom always fit the belts for hers in the same tried and true way. You will probably need to cut some off the belt in order to fit it. Be brave, just careful not to cut off too much. You can always cut again, but you can't glue it back on. Sew-Classic belts are as good quality as any I have found. I can safely recommend them. A leather belt will last 20 years or more, so I see no particular need to get a synthetic one. How about you? Good luck. If you get puzzled, call Jenny and she can get you out of the woods.
If you order $65 or more, shipping is free. I usually order a solid state controller, felts for 221 and 301, a tire or two, spool pins, oil and grease. Look at the attachments and repair parts. They have rubber feet for 221s and other machines. Check out the free tutorials. I downloaded 3 tonight. She has bobbins, even metal bobbins, if you prefer. I buy all my vintage restoration parts at Sew-Classic because of the great prices. A lot of QBers get parts there because of good service too.
LOL Some of this is a bit over my head. I have no idea what a solid state controller is. But you reminded me that I will need bobbins - and a rubber wheel for the bobbin winder. I have a 301 but have never had to do any more than have it serviced the first time and oil since. My mother had a Singer treadle and a Minnesota treadle. I remember the belts and am glad that they have the little hook. Mothers burned in a fire 50 years ago and had a shuttle for a bobbin. This one is more like the 301 but fatter. I absolutely would prefer a leather belt for mine. I will check out the tutorials and I have looked at the things here. When I get the belt and other things I will be looking at what is here more closely. I am still going to try and get the pics uploaded. I know that Singer states that if you email them a pic that they will tell you what the model is, but in reading the posts here, it sounds like it takes them forever to get back to you. Especially since they took down part of their identification pages, etc. Still they have some good info. The one problem I had looking up my machine is that one place it indicated that it was born in 1922 in ELIZABETHPORT and another place said that it was from Kilbowie, Scotland in 1927. Will have to do more work on figuring that one out.

Thanks so much for all the help and info. This board has always been awesome. I joined back in 1997 before they changed it. Due to health problems I haven't done much online, but I love to see and hear what everyone else is doing. I will be back if and when I am having more problems!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

I usually have been hanging out at the Victorian Sweat Shop since it was opened up in January. I love old Singer 15s and I have 2 real old ones and several newer from differed decades. The really old ones have sort of a triangle shaped tension and just a knob on the stitch length. The newer 15s have round tension and big round place with reverse and numbers for the stitch length. I bought an old one and as soon as I can I will be doing a photo shoot of the differences over at VSS. Some times they can be a bear to clean up and there are posts at VSS about that.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

You are so correct that treadles don't grow on trees out here in Southern California. I bought mine in the 70s at the antique store that moved into part of the old Helms bakery in Venice,CA. I bought mine for $129 but didn't notice it was missing the "v" shape drop drawer. Actually pieced my first quilt on my Singer treadle. It came with a lot of accessories and the original owner manual.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I did not know QB has a Facebook page.
Originally Posted by BARES View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of the 3/8". I would have been lost. I have read enough here that I didn't feel good about going there. One reason I called first. It has taken me all these years to get a treadle. They don't fall off trees here in So. CA the way they do in other parts of the country. This one is a beauty. Has the Phoenix? decals and they are in good condition. Cabinet is nice. I will keep working on trying to post a pic. I would love to know what sub-model it is. I thought about posting it in the Facebook quilting board thread. LOL I just found it last week. Didn't know the QB had a FB page before that. Maybe I will post my pics there. I know how to do that too.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 AM

Congratulations on getting your machine! I have had several that I sold, but still have two. It's been a lot of fun learning about them, and this site has so many knowledgeable and helpful folks, you'll most every answer right here! I'd love to see a picture of your machine!