Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your notions in? >

What do you carry your notions in?

What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-06-2016, 03:14 PM

I use the zipper cosmetics bags that come from Dillards and Macy's when they have their freebies with purchase deals.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Banned

I made this for my BFF and I'm planning to make one for myself.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553512[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032195.jpg   s5032197.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:20 PM

I use an old fashioned soft pencil case like we used when I was in school. It is like a pouch with clear plastic on one side and solid blue plastic on the other. It has a zipper. They used to have holes punched in the top so you can put them in your binder. I like it because you can see what's inside. I carry all basic supplies such as pins, small scissors, rotary cutter, tape measure etc. in this one.

I also have several of the cheap hard plastic pencil cases which Walmart carries in many colors. It works great to divide out notions according to the use. For example I have one for hand applique with appropriate needles, thread etc. I have another with my hand quilting supplies like needles, thread, thimbles and so on. I just grab the one for the situation and am ready to go. None of these containers cost more than a dollar or two.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Check out the dollar store....I found a zippered case for my rotary cutter and will also hold my blades in the other zip pocket. I think I paid $3.00 for it. Another great pattern to store your things in is the tooly tool holder....very easy to make and works really well. Can get everything in it I had in my bionic bag. Cheaper, easier to make and fits well into a bag with your fabric. There are other suggestions on here too that work great, but see what others have that you think will work for you. We all have our own idiosyncrasies
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 PM

Too many times I got to class and forgot things so I use a hanging toiletries bag that I keep packed with scissors, pins, thread, bobbins, rotary cutter, marking pencils, glow tape, etc. -- mine has clear plastic pouches with zippers (I have had it at least 15 years). I roll it up and tie it with a length of selvage from some long ago piece of fabric (I used to empty it when we went on a cruise and use it for toiletries, but since I went to more classes then cruises this was not a problem. ). I have tote that I keep packed with a folding mat and a folding ruler and a shape cut, as well as the table that attaches to my sewing small sewing machine, my portable iron and an ironing cloth. I just have to grab these, my sewing machine and the fabric I need when I go to class.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 PM

Check out the dollar store....I found a zippered case for my rotary cutter and will also hold my blades in the other zip pocket. I think I paid $3.00 for it. Another great pattern to store your things in is the tooly tool holder....very easy to make and works really well. Can get everything in it I had in my bionic bag. Cheaper, easier to make and fits well into a bag with your fabric. There are other suggestions on here too that work great, but see what others have that you think will work for you. We all have our own idiosyncrasies. Here is a link o the tooly tool holder.
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewin...r-easel/119430
Old 07-06-2016, 07:39 PM

I bought myself a toolbox with compartments for storing/carrying various items plus I have several smaller makeup bags which also have notions & sewing items/stuff. The toolbox is handy for longer trips like when I needed to delint & clean a DSM before actually using it. The owner had used it for years and had no idea that lint built up in her machine. This toolbox replaces 2 bigger insulated lunchbox zippered totes and has storage for my screwdriver and other tools collection as well as notions, sewing machine oil and other cleaning supplies.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:42 AM
dms

I too made the bionic gear bag. It really is a handy bag. Pattern is expensive. $1 cheaper on etsy.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 AM

kathdavis you're absolutely right. tool bags at the MEN'S TOOL DEPT. are cheaper. now I wonder why is that. also great place to pick up the thing a ma jig that extends and picks up screws when men drop them only we can use them for pins because they have such wonderful magnets on the ends.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 AM

Years ago I bought a red tackle box, small, but with a tray for small items and the bottom for larger items . I have carried it for 30+ years. It has a tab for a lock, so if I leave it momentarily, My things are safe.