Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Kathy, I have been soooooooooo good and not started and then you beat me to it! I hoestly don't know if I can hold out and not start until June though, but I am resisting at the moment.

I think the crunch time might come if I get to go to the UK in the spring, because I won't be able to take my wholecloth (if I go, I will fly), so a few blocks of AOTH would be more lightweight to take.

Blinky, about half of what I want to use are batiks, and the other half are a set of Fusions fat quarters, because they came in the colours my FQ set didn't have - you can applique with anything from silk up, as far as I am concerned, though velvet might be harder, LOL.

What method are you thinking of using to applique? After all, there is hand work (needleturn or buttonhole), then by machine you could use satin stitch, buttonhole stitch, or even raw edge applique.

Kathy, if you use fusible stuff under everything, it will make your blocks fairly stiff. Have you considered small dots or a fine bead of Elmer's school glue? You can heat set it with an iron to hold everything in place, then it washes out with a good soak at the end. (Sharon Schamber uses this method all the time, and you know how she wins everything in site!) It make blocks a lot softer than using fusible products, even the lite ones.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I agree...I don't think you have to use batiks...heck, you don't even have to use a black background! Blinky, as with all other quilts...it will be yours, so do it however you like!

Fusibles in any weight do tend to make things stiff in MHO also. I tell ya', I've been converted to the glue pencil ever since I discovered it while making Jane. A couple of dots of that will hold things until I can get them basted. I had a lot of trouble with things shifteing on me prior to learning to use that- even when I pinned really well.

Still no book today.... :sad:
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Hey Sandpat! I here ya! Don't know what you mean by the glue pencil. I have gotten where I use the Elmers glue and glue stick. I was using the Roxanne glue but it is expensive. I am thinking I will still use a black background but scrappy appliqué. Will see how it goes!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Well, Blinky...I mean a glue pen of course. :lol:!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Any particular kind or brand that you use?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

I am really happy with Elmers school glue, I don't use a glue pen. We can't get Elmers here, but I offered to do some applique for another board member once, and when she asked what I wanted her to pay me, I asked for Elmers! I meant a couple, and when the box arrived, she had sent me 10!!!!! My cup runneth over. I am still using the first one, because it goes a long way.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Blinky- its the SewLine glue pen. You can get refills to go with it. I like the Elmers too Lesley...but for all different uses. I like that the glue pen will let you reposition for a while..a bit longer than the Elmers will. (or so I've found)

You got 10???? :shock:!! Your cup DOES runneth over!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Thanks Kathy, glad to know its still June start date. You know I pulled the book out to look at the designs again and find that they are not doing a lot for me. I love the quilt when its all put together, but the actually blocks are not doing it for me for some reason I liked it when I first saw it but have gradually gone off it.
Now, with everyones ok for me to do this, can I do another quilt and work along with you all. This way I will get something I really want.

Elle
I know where you're coming from. When I saw the blocks in the book - my reaction to many of them was "yuk!" I think it's the actual fabrics she chose for them. I find some of them way too busy for my style. I'm using batiks, but they are more of the blender style, not a lot of busy prints. I don't do busy printed anything.

Even the walls of my home are white - makes for great quilt hanging spaces! Long halls become galleries!

Are you still thinking of cream for your background? I think that would be lovely. Are you using all colors or limiting yourself?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 AM

Well Kathy, I am actually thinking that I am not going to join you all doing this quilt and Patti if that book doesn´t show up you can have mine. Really don´t like the blocks as much as I thought I would.

I have a quilt pattern here that I realy like and may do that instead, sorry ladies, can´t work on something I won´t use and I want another quilt for me, I only have one so far with all the quilts I have made
Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Elle, I'm sorry you're not going to join us in sewing, but you still are going to be here with us as a commentator, aren't you? We would really miss you if you left the group all together. Besides, we need your sunny Spain out look for us!

I can understand you're not wanting to do it, though. Sometimes a quilt looks really neat until I break it down & then - not so much!