Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-07-2016, 03:33 AM

Yes, quilting started out as a "leftover" craft and has evolved into a expensive hobby. But my husband played golf for years and we paid over $150 dollars a month for just a membership. We have been married 42 years. So I figured now that I am retired and quilting, I can spend at least that amount.

Last edited by giquilt; 08-07-2016 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added words
Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingBear View Post
If you're in New Hampshire, come on over to Maine. Mardens (a local discount store) has a huge fabric department with most quilting cottons at 4.99 or less per yard. Show a quilting guild card and save an additional 10%. They are not really the spot for notions but they do have some. Remnants are a steal!
Yes! I was going to suggest that. There's one in Sanford. If you go with an open mind, you might find some treasures! I found some YLI silk thread last summer for a great price. Granted, they were probably seconds but I can cut the thread to work around that for hand sewing. Once I found a flannel that I had bought seven years before at a quilt shop in perfect condition at the Ellsworth Marden's for a fraction of the original price.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Kimcatlou, that is interesting to know... I bought my first fabric for my home ec class at Wilson Jr. High from Mary Jo's - long, long ago (grin). So young and inexperienced at the time, I bought a beautiful plaid wool to make a jumper - PLAID WOOL for my first sewing project! How silly .....
Oh my gosh, I bought plaid wool too but I was farther along, it was 8th grade. What I had made before in school was an apron and a gym bag with drawstrings. Very much assisted by the teacher and on a treadle. I think in 8th grade we had electric machines. But I do remember patterns were bought in one size and had much more detailed instruction sheets. Days gone by!!

I used to buy fabric in the store on the main street. The ladies had one of those gizmos where they slid the edge through to measure and cotton came in 36" widths and I don't remember it being prohibitively expensive.

Since I don't keep a stash and am not prolific with my quilting, the costs are manageable to me.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:20 AM

How funny! An ad just popped up on my screen for a 50% off coupn on fabric at Joann's.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Why oh why do we feel that we have to justify what we spend on things that make us happy???? It's not like if we splurged a little on a lovely piece of fabric our families will starve, or we won't be able to pay the electric bill that month. I'm absolutely certain we are all responsible adults and manage our money wisely. I have NEVER seen a husband try to justify his hobby the way we do; in fact, most husbands go the other way and try to justify why they DO need something! So why do we turn into martyrs and deny ourselves the pleasure of splurging a little on some yardage, or buying a new book or new tool?
That's a very good question. Low self esteem? Training as children? My mom definitely felt that men were better than women and so deserved more. I fought that low self esteem a good part of my life. I've finally gotten to the place were I feel that I deserve things just as much as he does. It's great not to be a martyr! In fact, right now I have a car that cost almost twice what his did. For a car person that's a big deal! lol
Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I Agree!! I have also witnessed couples shopping for a sewing machine for her and HE is urging her to buy UP and she protests! I loved it when the man looked at the machine dealer and said.."She will take this one". I almost cheered out loud!!

I don't apologize for my expenditures. It is no ones' business...I have worked since I was 17. ( thank you feminists.). We are a two income family with zero dependents. We live modestly compared to Facebook posts.....we both love our hobbies. Truth be known, DH is the bargain hunter! Lol!
sandy
I'm amazed that people even take their husband's along to buy a sewing machine. I never do that! I want to browse and try the machine and ask questions. I don't want to have to deal with someone else being bored or trying to influence my decision. He doesn't worry about money as much as I do but he does think he knows more than he does about stuff. So I buy machines on my own. I even bought my last car on my own. I really didn't even need him there but it was only the second new car I'd ever bought so I wanted some moral support. I think he said one thing during the whole process! I'd already gotten them to knock $10,000 off the car so there wasn't much to do there!
Old 08-07-2016, 07:25 AM

I bought some fabric at Hobby Lobby a few days ago; several different pieces. I didn't even look at prices (big mistake), but when she had already cut this one piece of fabric she said it was 12.99 yd. Luckily I only got half a yard and then the 30 percent off. Can't believe that fabric is that expensive at Hobby Lobby. Just looked at it and it is "Stonehenge" by Northcott. Guess that's why, but I don't think I pay that much at my LQS. It is pretty though.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Different households have different financial set-ups.

At one time, many women had little control over the family finances.

Some households have very little income, so making what is available cover the essentials first is important.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 AM
mac

To Peckish and Cashsmom:
I think it is a generational thing. I was brought up in the 50's and back then it was the 'woman's thing' to do all she could to stay within budget. It was rare that the woman worked outside of the home if she had kids and so she had to make ends meet with just one household income and it was even worse if she was a single mom. But, at least single mom's were a little more independent. It was the husband who made the 'little woman' tow the line and keep costs down. There were no credit cards, so to speak, to spend more than you had. If you didn't have it, you didn't spend it. The little woman budgeted her money, was always looking for a bargain and if she needed a new dress or hat, she had to save her pennies for months before she could feel that she deserved it and wasn't taking food out of her children's mouth and even then she would only buy it if it was on sale.

Also, in my family the men always came first. My father worked in the steel mill and he, like so many others, worked really hard for their money. I remember one time that my mother took me aside and said to me that there were only two meatballs to serve with the spaghetti that night for dinner. She said that they were for my father and brother. The men had to work so they got the meat for strength.

It is a mindset like this that happened in the 50's where a lot of women got their "I don't deserve" attitude. In a way we were brought up as martyrs and it is a hard mindset to change. Thank goodness that women started burning their bras in the 60's and started elevating their positions in life or at least they started thinking that they were equals.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion on what happened...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Patrice, I think a lot of men think they know more about everything than they do. In many cases, it's a reflection of the attitudes they were raised with. When I was a kid, my father let me know that I should always let the boy win and he was serious about. God forbid I should wound someone's ego just because his equipment was different than mine. What antiquated bs! But it's a new world and women are taking their power back!