Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch >

Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch

Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch

Old 09-07-2018, 05:57 AM

Default Scrappy Blooming 9 Patch

I have been working on a bunch of stash-buster quilts. I gathered groups of fabrics from my stash, usually based on a focus fabric, and matched them to patterns. They are all scrappy in the sense that I will use a bunch of different blues as my blue, etc. So I decided to try a scrappy blooming 9 patch, and it didn't work out well. I let my values range too much, so I have some distracting 9-patch squares that are too obvious amidst the color blooms. My conclusion is that this is one pattern best done with constant fabrics.

Has anyone else tried a scrappy blooming 9 patch, and did it work well for you? I would love to see photos of your blooming 9 patches!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:02 PM

I haven't one to show, but I'd love to see yours. It's really helpful to see what (the maker feels) doesn't work--and maybe someone's comment will change your mind?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 PM

It's quite ugly, so I'm kind of embarrassed to post a photo. Not my finest hour when it comes to fabric choices.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:42 AM

I bet there are dozens of people on this board that would disagree with you. One persons blunder is another's one joy. If you really don't like it, someone in a shelter would think it was beautiful and warm. We all make quilts that say " what was I thinking" and at a later date we look back and say, "well it's not as bad as I thought". Just think of all those scraps that are not in your stash anymore and all the fabric you can replace it with..
Old 09-08-2018, 06:42 AM

I never feel too bad about a top that doesn't come out well because it's always a learning experience, and because of all the reasons you state, too. I appreciate the encouraging words!
Old 09-08-2018, 06:51 AM

I would like to see it, too. I am not familiar with a Blooming 9 Patch, but it sounds intriguing. I have some pretty florals that would make nice prayer quilts.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:47 PM

There is no such thing as an unattractive bloomer.
I have the entire quilt cut out an kitted up while we are touring the country. All thirties, and because I quit buying fabric in 2001, If I needed say 2 yards of yellows I may have five different fabrics.

this is the one I made about 2010, again all from stash. The fabrics do not go together at all, but it is one of my favorite quilts because it is Sharyn's stash archaeology
Attached Thumbnails blooming-9-patch-kalamaquilts.jpg   blooming-9-patch-2-kalamaquilts.jpg  
Old 09-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Thanks KalamaQuilts for posting your pics.
You're an inspiration as I have wanted to do a B9P for some time ... so maybe sometime soon?

Joe'sMom ... Have you stitched your blocks together?
Sometimes you need to see some of it stitched together to get a better sense as to how it will look.
This can be said for many quilts, but the B9P would be even stronger in that direction.
Likewise, seeing it from further away, helps us see the blend of fabrics.
For example, shrink down that larger pic from KalamaQuilts, and see how different it is.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:14 PM

No, it isn't stitched together. I've been kitting up these stash quilts rather than finishing them. I've already bagged up the blocks row by row to finish some other time.

Since among friends, here is a photo. It's loud.
Attached Thumbnails img_2270_fotor.jpg  
Old 09-09-2018, 01:58 AM

Joe'smom, that will be a beautiful quilt when it is finished! I love the scrappiness of it! I wish I could get out of my color-controlling (coordinating) ways.....