2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Yall are just mind boggling me with the math. That is never going to happen here. I think I will just keep an eye on the empty spots in the drawers when they come up. I scrap quilt mostly, so I never really buy large amounts of yardage. Unless it is for backing and backgrounds. And, I have plenty of that for next year. I am really going to challenge myself next year to stay out of the fabric store. I want to see how much extra money I can save for LA quilting. I did pretty well this year, but, then I gave half of it to my DD as a just because present. I can probably keep a log of anything coming in. That might not be a bad idea. At least I will have an idea of what I'm spending my money on.

I've taken stock of what I have on hand and pulled a few patterns that I want to get made. I have all the fabric right here right now for that. (Except maybe for backings. I have a bit here that if I'm creative, I might have a few more backings on hand also.) We'll see. Most times, I don't care if a backing matches perfectly. But, sometimes, I do like to splurge on the right backing.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM

To track amounts, I estimate. First less than 1/4 yd goes into scraps of small pieces box and I don't keep track of them. When I get too much to store, I give them to a person who like very scrappy quilting.

So after I've made the front and back; I consider how much is in the back, add amount for binding and double that. If that seems off yardage for the front I adjust up/down. Since there's probably x0,000+ yds in my stash 1/2 yd off isn't an issue right now. When it's down to x000 yds, I'll keep it more accurate
Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Yall are just mind boggling me with the math. That is never going to happen here. I think I will just keep an eye on the empty spots in the drawers when they come up.
Some of us are a little anal when it come to math. Whatever works for you is what counts...I like empty spots too!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Some of us are a little anal when it come to math. Whatever works for you is what counts...I like empty spots too!
Since my stash is not huge (fits into 2 dressers, a few bins and a few piles (ahem!) , I'm not overwhelmed. This challenged has really helped me think twice before just buying for the fun of it, with no purpose or plan for the new stuff. I can honestly say I have curbed my impulsiveness by a lot. (It would be math to give you a percentage, but for the joy it brings you math heads, I'll say I spent approximately 29.8 % in 2019 of what I spent in 2018.

Estimating works better for me, as far as determining the bottom line: did I use/get rid of (by donating, selling, giving away) more than I took in? For that I will have to do a bit of figuring and remembering (both of which are taxing).

Fabric In:
Bought/rec'd as gift/won ---- est. 20 yds

Fabric Out:
1 lg throw (4 yd)
3 doll quilts (.5 yd)
20 tissue holders (1. 1 yd)
20 handwarmers (.64 Yd)
Donated (2.0 yd)
Gave as prizes (2 yd)
Gave a gift to niece (1.3 yd)

So est. 11.5 yds used

20 yds- 11.5yds = 8.5 yd surplus

That sounds about right, based on what I haven't cut into into yet from my intake.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-11-2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: in poor taste
Old 12-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Sounds great, zo!
Old 12-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Great job, Zozee!! I agree with you that, even tho you and I don't have a bunch of stash like others, the moritorium has helped in those impulse buys I was beginning to do. Exactly why I join each year.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 AM

Like Zozee and Teen, I maintain a small stash but I have been motivated by this Fabric Moratorium thread to limit purchases to those that are necessary. As New Year’s Day rolls around I am already planning my deep cleaning and reorganization of my sewing studio...this year I plan to take an inventory (estimate) of fabric on hand and will pull unwanted items to donate. It always makes me feel good about starting sewing projects in the new year. : )
Old 12-13-2019, 04:43 AM

I periodically go through my stash thinking I will get rid of some of it, but I never find anything I dislike enough to give up. I did give my friend some pieces she could use for her DGKs, since mine are grown up, youngest being 15. My 24yo DGS is saving his money to buy a house, so I told him he would get a new quilt when that happens. He was quite excited about that. It won't be very exciting to make because it will probably be in various shades of grey.

I went through some Christmas scraps I got as a grab bag from Equilter a number of years ago and started making some star blocks. I will make a few at a time, and that will be a bin about half emptied. I think I'll go through the rest of the bin and make up a bunch of charm squares. It would be nice to accomplish something completely.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I'm at a dilemma...Anniversary sale at LQS today and tomorrow. Most fabrics are on sale. Also a great deal on FQ's. DIL's father will be undergoing cancer treatments soon. Want to make a comfort quilt for when he has treatments, but don't have a lot of "masculine" fabrics on hand. Have no idea what I want to make for him except I have some gray minkee to put on the back.---hmmm I could get some Grunges as a starter? Will see how the day goes.....

Last edited by oksewglad; 12-13-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:20 AM

Well, you want to keep the LQS in business, and you want to make a quilt for FIL, so this is a perfect time to do both. As far as I'm concerned, you get an exemption, since you know what you are doing with the fabric you buy. It's when we go into a store without an idea in mind, that we get in trouble. I have a 20% off coupon that needs to be used, but I don't have a thought of what I would buy, so am saving it for a while. I will start formulating ideas after New Years, so then the coupon may come in handy. Any fabric I buy will have to fit into the stash so I can use stash along with a new purchase.