Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap

2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
I got my stripology ruler at goodwill for $1.00. I use it all the time to make all size squares.
Yikes! That is a good deal! I rarely see sewing stuff at our Goodwill. I have the June Taylor version, it really helped me get my cut pieces uniform. I think it's a must have.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607911[/ATTACH]
I am fussy cutting a lot. It is slow going but I have a lot of small pieces that are good for fussy cutting. I’m not going anywhere so I don’t mind the slowness of the project. I just hope i’m Getting them right and everyone can use them.
Thanks for taking the extra time -- I love all three but the elephants are really calling me!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608024[/ATTACH]I’ve got all my squares cut, now I’m packaging. I have about 1/2 batiks and 1/2 Kaffe collective with a few precuts to make the count.
Attached Thumbnails 57cd5590-5cb3-4b7b-9c99-3980ea46a1a3.jpeg  
Old 02-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Looks wonderful. I’ve got a while to wait though!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Juststitchin View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607764[/ATTACH]Hello I am a newbie to the Birthday Swap but I am super excited about it. I spent today getting all {37} sets of 50 charms cut and sorted into their respective piles. I am all out of plastic wrap and ziplock baggies but I’ll get some later this week and also my birthday cards. It is going to be so exciting to get some actual mail and not bills for my birthday this year. Cannot wait to get it started.
waiting for the fun to start!
Brenda aka Juststitchin
Good morning, Just stitchin. I like your fabric on the top of your piles. Glad to have you in our group. It is such fun. I see your piles laying on a Panto which tells me you are a longarmer. So am I. I like the panto (what I can see of it). What is the name of it?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:02 AM

Well, here in MN Where I live, we had 12" of snow yesterday. I was at work and didn't realize how much it had snowed cause they didn't let school out early. Big Mistake! A bus got stuck out by my place trying to get the kids home. I'm sure there were some pretty mad parents out there. And i felt sorry for the bus drivers because there was so much snow and everything was so white that you couldn't hardly tell where the road was on the roads that weren't plowed.
When I left work at 5pm to come home, the first 6 miles were fine on a tar road that had been plowed.
But then I turned onto the tar County road and the plows hadn't even plowed it. It was a miracle I made it through. I was literally praying out loud (and my heart pounding) to just get through that 5 miles and then I didn't care if I got stuck on my gravel road. Which I did, almost right away because there were no tracks at all to be able to tell at all where I was on the road! We've had so much snow lately that the ditches are full and with all the additional snow yesterday, everything was so white you couldn't see the road. Well, my husband was gone trucking so I had a neighbor come get me. He has a pickup with a plow on front of it. (But I had to wait a half hour for him because he had to go get his kids from the bus that was stuck). He gave me a ride home and then went and got someone to help him and got my car out of the ditch and brought it to my house. Well, I figured I should pay him so I gave him $100 which he took reluctantly. But I made him take it because I was so grateful for him helping me because my husband was gone trucking and I don't know what I would have done if he wouldn't have helped me. But the saddest thing is: That's $100 I could have used to buy fabric instead!! Anyway, Now I am home today because I'm not going anywhere until my husband gets home and digs us out. (We live in the country). So it looks like I will continue cutting my squares today for this swap. Hoping to get all 37 sets done. I have 12 sets done so far. Last year I had such a busy year with family life so was very unorganized with this swap. This year I am determined to be organized early. Happy Day everyone.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 AM

So glad you had someone close by to call and help you. On a day like that a call to a tow company can take hours to get responded to because there are so many getting stuck. Daytime snow is tricky, you don't realize how much is falling and you aren't at home to be prepared, and then you have to get home in spite of the snow. I was a rural mail carrier and have gotten caught in that kind of snowfall while delivering. A county snow removal truck once tried to get me out of a ditch, he got stuck and had to call another to get us both out! I'm sure your hundred dollars was a small price for your husband's peace of mind when he couldn't be there.

Have fun with the candies. and watching the snow from the inside!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
Thanks for taking the extra time -- I love all three but the elephants are really calling me!
IrishMom, a fabric store I pass once a month on my way to a big city, has a bin of fat quarters for a buck each! Some are truly ugly but a lot of good stuff! I have to limit myself to 10 but I just liked those elephants. but I have had them for a long time, they have not found a project to fit into and they seemed perfect for a candie cut.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Pamela, those are horrible choices and you should save yourself the embarassment and send them ALL to me. I'll save you. What are friends for? LOL

All joking aside, those are beautiful and we are all lucky to have you swapping with us!

When's the first mailing? I'll be cutting this weekend
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
IrishMom, a fabric store I pass once a month on my way to a big city, has a bin of fat quarters for a buck each! Some are truly ugly but a lot of good stuff! I have to limit myself to 10 but I just liked those elephants. but I have had them for a long time, they have not found a project to fit into and they seemed perfect for a candie cut.
I'm not that far from you (less than 2 hours) and I think I head by that city as well when I go through that area to visit my sister in KY. If you wanted to PM the name of the store I would appreciate it!