Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To EQ8 or not? >

To EQ8 or not?

To EQ8 or not?

Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Default To EQ8 or not?

I bought the eQ8 software. I haven’t opened it yet. I’m tossed on keeping it (bought from Amazon). I’m always having trouble with the math in resizing patterns, stuff like that. I don’t know for sure about designing yet. Changing colors on a pattern can be a challenge also. What are your thoughts about it? Thank you.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

I could not function without my EQ. It saves so much time in planning quilts and allows me to easily audition my colors. I don't use all of the functions, but what I do use is worth every penny. Keep in mind there is a learning curve. If you have questions, we have a dedicated thread here EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:51 AM

I have a very love/hate relationship with EQ. There are so many things I love and so many things that could be amazing but just aren't...

I agree with the learning curve but I also can't imagine designing a quilt without it now. Overall it has absolutely been worth every penny.

I find playing around with it to almost be a hobby in itself, I can get distracted for hours on there!
Old 09-02-2019, 03:35 AM

I am following this thread as I have been on the fence for years about whether or not to purchase the EQ...
Old 09-02-2019, 04:10 AM

I have EQ8. But I started years ago with EQ5, then EQ6. Didn't get EQ7. If you are computer savvy and want to play with the program, then yes. But if are the kind of person that follows a pattern or recipe always, then no. For more of an independent thinker who does their own thing it's essential. I have a friend who always does what the pattern says. She has no use for any computer quilting program. If you invest in the program, you will need the book. You need to invest the time to learn how to use it. Even then, I could use a class on EQ8. I guess you might want to balance your options. Time sewing or time planning. I love to plan things out. Dinner menus, vacations, the weeks to do list ect. Love to plan out a new quilt with the thousands of block choices. I have Blockbase. Love it. I can change the sashing, the borders. I can change a little 4" block into a more reasonable 1 0" block. I'm not great with math. The program will do it for you. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 AM

I bought it, installed it and yes there is a huge learning curve. It takes time to learn it and when I'm in a hurry I just use my old method, graph paper and pencil. Finding the time or making the time to learn it is my big problem. The program is great, lots of excellent features.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 AM

All these years I upgraded EQ when it came out with a new version. Never really understood how to use it but I liked that I could bring in my simple blocks to make up a quilt using similar fabric colors to give me an idea what it might look like. I also figured out how to turn a regular block into a paper pieced block. It was also great to know what size to cut each section, how much fabric I'd need and so on. This year when I upgraded to EQ8 I decided I would take some online classes by Kari to learn how to really use this program. I'm in awe from what you can do with it. Just finished the bargello lessons (Month 5) and I've learned how to bring my own fabric images into the program, how to lay out a custom quilt, and so much more. Its amazing is all I can say and I wished I had went for the lessons sooner. I'll be taking more of Kari's classes in the future too.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:05 AM

I use EQ8 ! I don't think it is hard to learn. I design all my quilts on EQ, and blocks as well. I love playing with the fabric to get the quilt to look the way I like it. It does so many things for so many different types of quilters.

There was a previous thread about updated from EQ7 to EQ8 that had a lot of people's comments and thoughts. I would check it out for my information and feedback.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-02-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

For me, EQ8 is as important as my rotary cutter. I use it on almost every quilt. But you do have to invest some time in learning the program. I started with EQ6 and upgraded to 7 and 8. Each had major improvements. When 9 comes along I will invest in it too. The lessons built into the program are excellent, and I've found that I can use google to find out how to do just about anything that I've wanted to do so far.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM

I am looking at upgrading my EQ6. I really enjoy playing with EQ and draft out most of my own patterns. For one thing it helps me understand them and where potential problems or improvement areas are.

If you are not comfortable on a computer to the level of upgrading programs, downloading images, printing options, etc. EQ may not be for you. But I can resolve a lot of design desires by playing with the program sometimes instead of doing it live with fabric. I do a lot of messing around with colors and things like that. I understand the ability to scan in your own fabric is greatly improved with EQ8. I have a friend who does a lot with photo quilts and she says there are new options that are great for her. But I also hear from a lot of people that the changes in the program design can be hard for people to adapt to.

It's amazing the things it can do and the way you can use it. It's sort of like the word and number processing programs, you can use it from a basic to an advanced skill level. And every now and then, just when you think you've got it down they change it all around.

I know I'm going to upgrade. The only real decision is when.