Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Everyone's patches look great! I can't wait to see how the different colors shape up.

Leslie, that will be pretty!

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
Question for those of you with more experience than me...should I set that final seam with my iron before i spin the seams and then press it again, or can I spin the seams first and just press once?
I set the seams first, all at one time, then do the twisting and pressing.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Love what I'm seeing!!!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:10 AM

Really enjoying all the pictures, is nice to know I'm not the only one mixing up the color palette! I trimmed my blocks and triple counted them at my small group on Tuesday. Today I'm working on finishing up my other on-going project.

I've gotten my friend Barb in Arizona to start lurking here She was pleasantly surprised to see how many people are doing the mystery. Barb has some amazing skills and talents. She's taught classes and make and takes. I think she was kind of iffy about quilting at first until she fell in love with batik fabric the first time she saw it. Many many years ago, Barb and I were room-mates and got exposed to me quilting that way. I have a couple of friends that figured "well if she can quilt, I can quilt" and have gone on to do wonderful things. Barb is one of them! Barb is also very good with technical stuff in terms of sewing equipment and photo transfers and scanning and embroidery machines and is one of my resources for things like that. She is also rather modest but I recognize talent when I see it.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Everyone's progress looks great . I am still waffling about fabrics. I do love how everything is coming together though.

Madeline---lurking in the trenches.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM

I finished piecing my squares today, after quite a bit of struggle I found a way to get my consistent seam allowance without fighting myself or the machine. I will press them and hopefully get a picture after dinner; some of the color combinations I just love, but others I don't care for. I think it was because my dark blues were full of almost-black fabrics and very few actual blues, and my raspberry shades are mostly pink without the purple and red undertones. That's what I get for not choosing my own fabrics, but I also refuse to judge the whole project by one tiny part of it. Once I see how it fits into the whole I may forget all about how little I like the pink and blues together.

I'm enjoying the scrappy feel and giving up so much control and just going with the flow. I wanted to focus on learning technical things here, not creativity!

I made a handful of extra blocks, in case something ends up measuring short when I go to trim my blocks in the morning or I don't like the way some of them fit in the whole quilt.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the math help everyone! Will start with doing 1/3 of the number required.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Speaking of math - I wonder if one of you math experts could check my math. I want to make my quilt 100 x 100 and without stating numbers on this site, perhaps you could pm me the number of extra 4 patches I need to make. I love math usually, but need some confirmation Thank you in advance.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:20 PM

With mysteries it is not straight forward, but this "formula" should get you close.

You first need to know the square inches (bhsi) of BH's finished quilt
The si in your desired quilt (ysi)
The si in 1 4p minus seam allowance, (si4p)
How many 4p in the quilt (4p)

You need to know the % of 4p in bhsi

finished quilt length x width = bhsi
(4p length - sa) x (4p width - sa) = 4psi
4psi x how many to be sewn = total 4psi

once you have that the % of 4p would be figured at
total 4psi / bhsi x 100 = 4p%

Then 4p% x ysi / 4psi = number of 4p you will need.

You will need the formula for all future steps anyway

If we plug in fake numbers this is how it looks

80 x 80 quilt = 6400 si (bhsi
1 4p - sa = 4.5 4psi (I just put in the total si for easy math instead of multiplying length and width)
4.5 x 50 (how many sewn in bh quilt) = 250 total 4psi
250 / 6400 x 100 = 3.9% (rounded to 4%)

So 4% of ysi will be how many 4psi you need in your quilt
4% x 10000 = 400
400 / 4.5 = 89

All these numbers are completely fake and just to show you the formula you will need to figure what % each clue is in ratio to the total square inches, then how to get that same % in your desired finish size.

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Speaking of math - I wonder if one of you math experts could check my math. I want to make my quilt 100 x 100 and without stating numbers on this site, perhaps you could pm me the number of extra 4 patches I need to make. I love math usually, but need some confirmation Thank you in advance.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Wow Kassaundra!- your formula is more complex than my math knowledge I think. the good news is that both of us came to a similar result - my total was 18 less than yours. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-04-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 PM

My final number was not accurate, I did not know the number of 4 patches to be sewn in BH's clue and didn't know the size of the 4 patches, and didn't know the overall size of the finished BH quilt so just fake numbers to show you how to put your numbers in to get an accurate number.

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Wow Kassaundra!- your formula is more complex than my math knowledge I think. the good news is that both of us came to a similar result - my total was 18 less than yours. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.