Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 12-18-2019, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by craft View Post
My plan was to do this years quilt mystery however I just had a major right shoulder surgery on December 11.I wonder if it's possible to print off each one of the clues that Bonnie gives use and start on the mystery quilt later. I can still search my fabric that I will need for the quilt because that takes only one arm and hand to search with.
Of course it is, craft! Just make sure you get on the website and print out the clues soon. I think on February first she takes all the clues down and turns into a paid pattern on her website. I hope you recover from your surgery quickly!
Old 12-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I used the 8 at a time method. Trimmed with my Bloc Loc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621060[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2616-1-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by craft View Post
My plan was to do this years quilt mystery however I just had a major right shoulder surgery on December 11.I wonder if it's possible to print off each one of the clues that Bonnie gives use and start on the mystery quilt later. I can still search my fabric that I will need for the quilt because that takes only one arm and hand to search with.
You certainly can. Bonnie’s directions on how to do just that are here:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/frolic-mystery.html

And get well soon, Craft,

You certainly can.

Last edited by Krisb; 12-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Craft, sorry about your shoulder. Get well soon!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Craft, nice to have you aboard even if you are starting a little later. You had such an ambitious set of school kid projects earlier in the year! Healing can take longer than we expect, do your physical therapy and don't overdo.

Today I was working with my quilt sketchbook while the hubby was at the endodontist. I noticed that my notes for this mystery had a different number of units for each clue. That is, the total needed for clue 1 units is different than 2 which is different than 3. Hmm, I thought, the correct number of what I trimmed yesterday is different than what I wrote here -- I didn't cut too many yellow/neutral to start with after all, I just convinced myself I needed a different number when I cut my blues. I think I need to add a step where once I am done, I go back to Bonnie's page and double check my counts. I'm counting what I think I need just fine -- I'm just wrong

So it turns out that yes, after double counting all my pieces (again) I have exactly the right number of step 1. I have extras of step 2, that's ok, there are some combinations I will gladly switch out (reds that were too yellow or too pale mostly) -- I put the correct count into a container and have the extras in a bag . I need to make 12 more HST today to get to the correct number. Easy peasy, everything is still out and the yellows are already cut and the next piece on the dark stack to use is one I really want to use.

Part of the reason I had my notebook is I was working with figuring out if I have enough fabric for the "next" project which will overlap with this one. It can be so much easier to just go to the store and buy what I want than to figure out how to use what I have... I had to change a construction technique which also changes the look of the block a bit and rearrange things to use my available fabric but it will work with what I have. Score!
Old 12-18-2019, 02:28 PM

I finished my HST today, but it is gloomy this afternoon and I could not get a good picture. Somehow I ended up with a handful of them where the neutral is darker than the blue, which I am a little worried about. I did make a handful of extras for each step...if I was halfway through my last strip to get the correct count, I just went ahead and finished the strip in those units. If I don't need them, I will stick them on the back somewhere
Old 12-18-2019, 07:21 PM

I to have to wait to start the BHMQ until later. I have the weekly directions to a fold on my computer. I've done that for several mysteries because if I like the end result, I will make them again.

I understand the shoulder "thing" because I have had both worked on and with patience and doing the PT when it is time, the results have been super! Well worth the time and being pain free is a marvelous thing. The BHMQ can wait for just a little while.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:09 AM

I was really hoping to sew along with everyone but two problems......

1) I have accepted that I do not have what I need in my stash and must purchase 8-10 FQs to get enough variety in my palette. My LQS has 40% off FQs on the 3rd Friday of every month so tomorrow I will try my luck there.

2) Life gets in the way. I have only just two weeks ago reclaimed my sewing space after a lengthy renovation. Busy finishing gift projects some of which are due for this coming Sunday. Then furnace died yesterday. It will be a over a week before we can get the new one installed, meaning I am hosting my husbands family on Boxing Day without a furnace. Fortunately after last nights -17C it is warming up somewhat and we have the wood burning stove and multiple little electric heaters which seem to be doing an Ok job. Oh and I don’t have my Christmas shopping done and don’t even have my tree up. I am usually so organized but this year is a bit out of control.

I am reading along and enjoying the pictures and tips....maybe I can power through and catch up between Christmas and New Years when I have no commitments.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Cattitude—be sure to print out all the clues before February 1–when they will go away.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
Of course it is, craft! Just make sure you get on the website and print out the clues soon. I think on February first she takes all the clues down and turns into a paid pattern on her website. I hope you recover from your surgery quickly!
My surgery went a lot better than I thought it would considering it turned out to be major reconstruction of my right shoulder. Now onto PT for weeks. I can somehow work my PT exercises into some of making this mystery quilt