Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-08-2020, 03:59 PM

I'm in awe of how all of you are keeping up. I'm not only behind, but realised that I pressed my seams the normal way, so they are not in the direction Bonnie wants. I guess that means I'll have trouble nesting them or have bulky seams. But I'm not re-doing them.
Part of the reason I'm behind is on Monday I picked up a dog from the animal shelter. I had not planned on getting another dog but this one tore at my heartstrings. Since I live in an apartment, I have to go with her anytime she needs to go out. I hadn't realised how time consuming that would be since I've lived in houses with yards for the dogs in the past and could just let the dog out. But hopefully I'll be able to give her a good home.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:14 PM

I am almost caught up...just have to make all my pinwheels for clue 7 tomorrow. I bought a flying geese ruler as a birthday gift to myself...and it arrives on my birthday! I was too afraid of running out of fabric to continue the way I was.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I'm in awe of how all of you are keeping up.
LOL, Belfry. We didn't do three other mystery quilts on New Year's Day.

Part of the reason I'm behind is on Monday I picked up a dog from the animal shelter. I had not planned on getting another dog but this one tore at my heartstrings. Since I live in an apartment, I have to go with her anytime she needs to go out. I hadn't realised how time consuming that would be since I've lived in houses with yards for the dogs in the past and could just let the dog out. But hopefully I'll be able to give her a good home.
Congratulations on your new dog! I hope she settles in well.

It looks like I will have enough sufficient contrast HSTs to make pinwheels. I'll decide if I need to remake the low contrast HSTs once we find out what we're doing with them. I am just about done pressing them, so it looks like tomorrow will be pinwheel day for me.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 PM

It's an adjustment, Belfrybat, but you will be glad to for your kindness. I still haven't heard anything further from either the two dogs people or the rescue I wrote to last week. My remaining dog is used to being part of a bonded pair, he is so needy right now it's driving me crazy. He'll be better as part of a pack no matter where he ends up fitting in the order.

I did indeed get all my sewn units for this clue sewn and pressed. I is indeed doubtful that I will do anything further with them today. So tomorrow's goal is to trim all, and turn the portion into pinwheels.

Disclaimer before next section: I took a lot of statistics in college. I worked a lot of years with engineers. I play games based on things like random number tables and while for whatever reason Sudoku doesn't appeal to me, other games with numbers and such things do. I've struggled with randomness in my scrap quilting for years and I've found mathematical ways for me to achieve that. The problem with randomness is that true randomness does often result in ugly. Yes it does! As quilters we want attractive randomness which is really more about balance and advanced forms of symmetry. But we just can't prevent some of the things we don't want to happen from happening.

When I combined this step, I randomized the reds before combinding them with the blues/darks & mediums in their cutting groups. I sewed them in groups of 10-ish but as I pressed the HST I started sorted them into 4 piles. I don't think I had any groups of more than 3 of the same fabric, possible there were 4, some were just very similar. Most repeats were groups of 3 so having 4 stacks would spread them apart. Every now and then I'll take a stack and randomly divide it in half, or put in some blocks on the bottom of some stacks and on the top of others. Then end result is that the different fabrics are pretty well randomized at this point.

Part of me really wants to pick which sets I use for pinwheels, but that's the part I'm trying to tell to loosen up, so I am just going with the first sets in a row to make my pinwheels and hope for the best! I've done really well so far in letting what fabrics come up next to each other stay next to each other, even when less than ideal. I'm glad some of you are looking forward to my top with excitement and anticipation -- I have more concerns and apprehension. I keep telling myself (because it is true) that it is all going to be ok.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

If someone told me I had to make an entire quilt out of flying geese I think I'd blow my brains out!!! haha
Almost finished but I'm not enjoying this part at all. Yuck.
Yesterday and today I listened to a performance of Hamlet to get me through a large portion of them. It
saved me!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Kalamaquilts and Iceblossom, thanks for trying to help with attaching pictures here. I think it might just be the tablet I'm using for accessing the forums. I can find a paperclip but nothing happens when I click on it and unfortunately I don't see a manage attachments. So it is probably my Kindle tablet. I'll try my laptop that my hubby just rebuilt with a new OS.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:34 AM

Belfry, congratulations on the new addition to your household...I’m sure she will be a loyal companion and is lucky to have a good home.

I’ve got all my cutting for Clue 7 under control but will fall behind with piecing, especially on this next clue. I am dropping my favorite machine off today for its annual service on our way to Boston and unfortunately, the dealer is 2 hours away...in the midst of a BH mystery. DH will pick her up for me the following weekend so I will have to check my scant quarter inch on one of my Janomes.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:19 AM

My green fabric hasn’t arrived yet so I am still waiting to get Clue #6 done. Tomorrow we shall see what the clue brings. Hopefully more neutrals. I think there will be a lot of piecing at the reveal. Not whining mind you. LOL
Old 01-09-2020, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Kalamaquilts and Iceblossom, thanks for trying to help with attaching pictures here. I think it might just be the tablet I'm using for accessing the forums. I can find a paperclip but nothing happens when I click on it and unfortunately I don't see a manage attachments. So it is probably my Kindle tablet. I'll try my laptop that my hubby just rebuilt with a new OS.
there is a new thread for those who use mobile divices, look there!
Mobile Users ... Please Help Each Other Using This Thread

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-09-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 AM

I am caught up on reading Bonnie Hunter clues 1-7 and looking forward to more. I have finished all 3 boxes of kits up through clue 3 now. I love flying geese, and made a whole quilt with them. Yes, I have my Bloc Loc for them and that helps. Also have a bloc loc for the HST that I have used. Did a bit with BH essential ruler and loved it. Unsure about posting pictures, so I will continue to enjoy what you all have posted here. I do enjoy all the helpful hints and conversations that give me good advice about the clue. It keeps me going with the time I have to sew. Another Physical Therapy session today, and my knees are starting to feel better; but they say it takes eight weeks for the muscles to extend and grow stronger. So I am halfway there. Going through a leading store's light section first time on a handicap cart was a bit scary. Luckly nothing was broken on my runs around the section.(Lights or me!)