2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-25-2020, 06:45 PM

retiredteacher, that makes sense! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:37 AM

Default A finish entirely from stash!

I just finished glue-basting the Tiny Houses quilt (pattern from Missouri Star) that I completed from stash. Each house uses such small pieces, and it was so much fun to throw a huge variety in there. Some is from years back, some is from a bag of scraps given to me by a friend, and the backing is so old I can't even remember where/when I got it. The batting was originally for a lap quilt which I never made, so it fit well into this baby quilt. And now, on to FMQ! And then back to my attempt to make another dent in the stash.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:17 AM

Joes Mom- I like the white best because it really emphasizes the wonkiness, but the dark sashing looks good too.

Teen- neat QOV and congrats on getting it all done from stash!

Rob
Old 11-26-2020, 05:03 PM

Synnove: Welcome to the board. I look forward to seeing a picture of your Tiny Houses quilt. It’s fun to find just the right fabric to use in a project, isn’t it?

Old 11-27-2020, 05:23 AM

This has been already said, but the current pandemics really makes it easier to not buy what is not necessary, as I keep staying at home and not shopping in thrift stores. A few days ago I made my first online fabric buy since spring and I somehow avoided not buying anything just for stash. Maybe this is because I bought plenty of fabrics for the ongoing projects and my greed for pretty new things was satisfied... for now...

Last edited by Vasilisa; 11-27-2020 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo correcting
Old 11-28-2020, 08:06 PM

Since it's now post-Black Friday, I suppose the moratorium is officially done for this year. I jumped off the wagon early, buying some Christmas tree panels for for K & myself. In turn, she bought one with an old red pickup in front of a barn for me. Today we cut border fabric for that panel. She's already quilted & bound her panel. I'm falling behind because I've been riding my motorcycle. In November alone I've ridden 1140 miles! My club has mileage contests & I want to reach 10,000 miles for our new year, which began November 1. So sewing has been set aside for several days.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

I went off the wagon, too. Went to a LQS to the east of me about 45 miles. I had to head for an errand that direction anyway to just kept going! 25% sale and brought home 10 yards. Bonus...3 yard piece is just perfect to use in vertical strips on current UFO I'm working on! Ready to start cutting the strips I need.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:20 AM

Still on the wagon. With some mild persistence and determination, I can see the difference in my stash from January 1 to now, November 29. I feel as if I was on a fabric diet. When you learn to eat less on a regular basis, you are not as hungry as you thought you were. Translate that to buying fabric. I find that I am not drawn to "special deals" or unplanned impulse purchases. I have a much stronger "delete" finger on my right hand. When I am "hungry", need fabric for a specific project, I "eat" but do not buy more that what is needed. This year I have also learned about the fabric that I have in my stash because I keep going through it over and over for projects of all kinds. Because of learning about my own stash, when I came upon a local quilt shop that was closing and their 50% off bargains, I knew what fabrics would be used with what was already on hand. Thus fewer "snack foods" that go with nothing and more coordinating colors, patterns and so on to fill my plate.

I will keep my seat on the wagon and continue to "eat" from my pantry of beautiful fabric. Hope to see this wagon on the road again in 2021. I need to maintain my diet attitude and become the svelte quilter that I know I can be.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

WMUTeach. I love you analogy! Well said.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Finished another top-3yds. Need to shop stash for back. Checked once and nothing jumped. Will need to hunt harder.