2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-09-2020, 07:32 PM

Lol@Cattitude! Yep, only 2 months in. The Spring collections are hitting the stores now. Lordy... Great job on resisting temptation so I'm patting you on the back instead.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Oksewglad: Pressing the seams open? Wow but I suppose that does cut down on a lot of bulk.

I made a quick but ‘hard on the pocketbook’ jump today. I stopped at SRHarris just to look around. I ended up with 14.63 yards of fabric and 3 booklets of Turning Twenty patterns. I guess I must have been in the buying mood after successfully completing my trip to Social Security and getting lost because I didn’t think my GPS should aim me for a gravel pit. Lol. My son figures there was a street to cut over on the road before I got to the pit but I wasn’t about to find out.

However, I bought 6 half yards for a baby quilt. I saw a sample at my LQS with an ABC panel cut apart and framed with the Timeless Treasures dotted fabric. I bought the panel last fall and now have enough for strips to go around each ABC block I hope. The quilt will eventually be for my grandson.

Then I bought neutrals of army green, a small patterned green, a solid gray, and a patterned darker gray. I have been using the army green in my quilts to calm the bright ones down.

So, all in all, I do have a plan for them.

Attached Thumbnails d3e4dd89-bdc8-4c06-9cbd-5d29d683ed3c.jpeg  
Old 03-10-2020, 07:43 AM

I am doing well on my not buying, but I am still in my after-Frolic hangover and have not been productive sewing.

I have, however, been drinking a lot of coffee and playing video games! Today is Tuesday quilt day and I have absolutely nothing to bring with me, I think I'll grab my stack of Civil War 10" blocks and sort them and look busy.

One of the ladies in my group is going through a hard time with her own and her husband's health. A couple of weeks ago I told her I would start bringing lunch on Tuesdays for her to take home. I already had some hot/cold bags from the dollar store and the food is warm enough to reheat or cool enough to freeze, depending on her schedule. Today is Corned Beef and Cabbage -- one of my hubby's favorites he never had before he lived with me. He looks forward to March being "Corned Beef Month".
Old 03-10-2020, 07:58 AM

Thank you for this group!
I've tried in years past, but always fail as soon as I enter a quilt shop.
My Name is Judy and I'm a Fabricaholic! For Sure!!!

As a way to use up fabric I've had for years I have joined in a Shoebox Project. I've committed to 100 20 x 20 doll blankets for the girls, and 100 drawstring bags for the boys. I'm 50 in for the blankets and just beginning the bags. I think this will fairly well deplete my stash.

The scraps from said projects get cut into 2" and larger squares. I have baskets for squares of each size. When the larger pieces are gone I'll piece doll blanket tops and buy backing if I necessary.

I'm a girl with a plan. Now I have accountability too. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM

What a lovely thing to do, iceblossom. I cook for a friend twice a week - sometimes it comes up fast.

I'm glad everyone is getting some quilting done. I seem to get further and further behind. Had a gall bladder attack over the weekend and am very tired (and hungry now. This, too, will pass.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:47 PM

Welcome aboard, Grammahunt. I met my hubby on line playing video games back in 2001, he lived in Grand Rapids back then and his mom and most of this family are still back there too.

I did play with and sort my Civil War fabrics some at group today, I called them blocks before but most of them are 10" squares from when I did swapping back around Y2K (notice... just before I met the hubby!). I'm actually not that a big a fan of the colors and prints but I was always up for another swap and so it goes and my collection grew. Between the squares, bits and pieces, and yardage, I estimate I have enough fabric for at least 3 tops and I'm going to try and work with them this year.

So first will be a Joseph's Coat variation, still have some design issues to work out but I've got the overall concept pretty happy. Each block will be made with coordinating fabrics so that the repeats in that block are the same (that is, four squares are each of the same, all the star points, etc.) but the squares will be different and the color placement might be some different too. I'd like to have red/madder brown stars and indigo blue triangle points in the corner units. It will make more sense once I make a picture! I could still do the Gentleman's Fancy/Rambler variation I was thinking of originally and do that all over "chaotic" scrappy with each piece in the block unique. The third will probably feature a striped fabric and have vertical columns of diagonally set small blocks, so one row all 9-patch, another churn dash, etc. for 5-7 different rows.

Anyway, I'm always enthused after my quilter time and ready to look at that slice and dice minions project next up!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I finished my son’s king size quilt and used a lot of stash fabric !
I used 22 1/4 yards of fabric for the top, 3 yards of wide backing fabric and a king size wool batting. I loved making this quilt but am glad it’s done. Now- to see what else I can pull from the shelves to make something a bit smaller.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-11-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-11-2020, 05:07 PM

ckcowl: Congratulations on your finish! That is a lot of yardage to use.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:54 PM

Default Scrapbuster: a quilt of encouragement and affection

Here it is! My version of the Scrap Buster. The top is all from my purple stash and white scraps. Batting is W & N pieced (two pieces and iron on tape). The backing is a late discovery from my stash too! Thread was found in a box of odd spools donated to my guild and now used. Whoo-Hoo! A 60 X 60 quilt that was virtually free.

Now the story begins. I am one who believes God speaks to us is small ways. And now and again I have been directed to give quilts to individuals. I was sewing along about a week and a half ago when I heard in my heart and in my head that a acquaintance from my Bible Study should be given this quilt. Briefly, six years ago she was given a double lung transplant but starting experience rejection this past fall. After several trips to her surgery clinic, she received the news that she has not been approved for a second transplant. She is too weak to endure another surgery. So, this quilt is for her. The large white squares hold a Bible scripture of encouragement and the name of one of the group from the study. It will go to her as soon as she returns home perhaps this week-end. She may be returning to hospice. I keep hearing from others who know her well that purple was one of her favorite colors. I did not know. I believe that there was a plan for this quilt long before I dove into my purple bin in an effort to reduce my stash. It was hers all along.
Attached Thumbnails scrap-buster-edited-resized.jpg  
Old 03-12-2020, 02:03 PM

WMUteach....this quilt is stunning and the story of your gift beautiful. I believe the same in terms of God's guidance when it comes to our giving hearts as quilters. It has happened to me on many occasion. May she be blessed and comforted by your gift. This is a gorgeous quilt.